BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Wonderstruck $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 24, 2017
A classic that I wish I had read much earlier in life. If you are an experienced negotiator or just a well-read person, this is still a worthwhile book for you. While this was published some time ago, it's lessons resonate to this day. My only criticism would be to have more real-life examples. Well-written, easy-to-read - a must-have.
on February 28, 2017
a really good look, albeit​ superficial, on negotiating...you might be surprised what it takes to get to 'yes'.
The title of Fisher and Ury's book is Getting to Yes - Negotiating Agreement without Giving In. It's a case where the title clearly lays out what the book is about. In Getting to Yes the authors present, step by step, how to find your way to a win-win solution that helps meet your goals while at the same time preserving the relationship so that future negotiations also go smoothly.

This book was the assigned textbook for a college course I took on negotiation, but it's one of those fairly rare cases where the material that's useful for a college course is also immensely useful for off-the-street people in a variety of situations. This book avoids complicated jargon and long, droning background chapters. Instead, it plunges into helpful information to assist people in negotiating for a new car, negotiating issues with their landlords, and all the many ways we all negotiate for our position throughout life.

Negotiation isn't just for union leaders trying to avert a strike. All of us negotiate each day as we try to juggle our many roles. We negotiate with our co-workers over assignments. We negotiate with our family members over chores. In an ideal world all of those discussions would go quickly, smoothly, and with as little strife as possible.

Getting to Yes provided numerous helpful examples which made their points more easy to understand. It is so true that people tend to remember stories where they might not remember dry text. When I think about this book I do remember several of the stories clearly, and those help to represent the points the authors were making. The stories help remind me to focus on the issues when negotiating and to look for objective standards to work with.

The information presented is wonderful, and immediately useful in life.

On the down side, this is a new version of older material. The authors chose to keep the initial book in its original form and then add on additional information at the end. I appreciate for historical reasons why they wanted to do that. However, from a fresh reader point of view, I feel they should present an integrated whole which most clearly presents the full information. The way the book is laid out currently, you have to go back and forth to find all information on a given topic.

Also, the format is not laid out for easy reference. If they went more for a "dummies" style with an easy to scan layout, graphs and charts to quickly find and scan, and quick end-summaries, that would make this more useful as a reference book to keep on a shelf. Right now if I had an issue to handle it would be less than quick to grab the book and find the answer. I would have to wade through the book to figure out where to get the support I needed.

Still, I do recommend that everyone read this book at least once, to build their skills in negotiation. It's something we all have to do!
0Comment| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2017
I have used this book in my profession for years and I also use it as a teaching text. Updated my older copy.
on September 16, 2017
I read this while at Wharton, and my wife bought a copy. I still use insights from the book in business and everyday situations.
on December 2, 2012
I was a business major and am currently in law school. This was a required reading for a law class but it should have been for one of my undergrad business classes. GREAT book on negotiating agreements and settlements. I do not know why this book is not assigned as reading more often. Some of it may be common sense, but for the most part I found it to be very informative on how to reach a settlement/agreement by getting past the parties' differences.

In addition to helping one come to agreement with a difficult negotiator, it also helps one correct his/her own negotiation defects so as to be more malleable in settlement/agreement/contract talks.

Buy this. Read it. Pass it on.
on August 23, 2017
Great read! This book was required for a class, but I am glad it was! I very much enjoyed this book- I enjoyed it so much I read it in five days. It was an easy read, and super informative.
on October 28, 2016
This book gives a good set of tips on how to handle negotiations. As the authors themselves admit, it's largely common sense, but they present it very straightforwardly and usefully. I hope to be able to put their advice to use soon.
on April 27, 2010
This is another great book about how to communicate effectively in challenging situations. As the title suggests, it focuses particularly on negotiations, but the ideas are broadly applicable. The authors discuss the advantages of principled negotiation - negotiation that is based on merits - over positional bargaining. Good negotiation, they state, should produce a wise agreement, be efficient, and should improve or at least not damage the relationship between the parties. In essence, they are talking about a win-win rather than a win-lose situation. The four key points of principled negotiation are: 1) separate the people from the problem, 2) focus on interests, not positions, 3) brainstorm options, and 4) develop objective criteria for evaluating proposals. Much of the book is devoted to outlining these four key points in detail followed by a section on some difficult negotiation situations, such as how to negotiate when the other party has more power or they refuse to negotiate. The book concludes with a section of frequently asked questions about the method. This book is a great complement to Difficult Conversations.
on October 13, 2017
Good Book about Negotiation. It is nice to have everything mapped out even though a lot of the information is intuitive.