Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy Pitch Perfect 3 available to buy  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on August 2, 2013
This is an action-adventure western novel mixed with romance and a bit of paranormal in the form of a ghost. All these elements bind together adding depth and suspense.

The action and story was interesting to read as it rolled out with great characters and suspense, and reminded me of the authentic old west, and NOT something that suggests the author watched a few western movies and thought he had it all figured out. Maybe the author is a history buff, or diligently did his research, or both, but it made the story's texture more vivid, bumping it up from a really good read to a great one.
on February 11, 2014
I have not read a Western romance story before. I was looking for something light to read on a cross country flight and this was recommended by a friend. It did not take long before I was flipping through pages eager for the next one. I was a little surprised, but not offended, by some of the more explicit scenes. They were well developed and added to the story without being gratuitous. I was reading in the Kindle App on my tablet and was dismayed when my battery went down before I wanted to stop reading. If there is a fault to be found it may be that the lead character is a bit too much of a Cowboy Superman being highly skilled at every task put before him. That said it really does not detract from the excellent story. Having read this one, I immediately found and read Dean Sault's other Western Romance "Maker of Angels" and thoroughly enjoyed that one too.
on November 26, 2013
Great characters, fast paced with lots of twists and turns. I haven't read one worthy of a 5 star rating in a while. Ghost of Lost Eagle earned 5 stars from this reader. I'm ready for the next one in the series... Congrats Mr. Sault!!!!!!
on June 27, 2014
I liked the combination of old fashioned Western w/scify. Throughout the book I enjoyed the humor. Nice touch w/the Indian customs and good description of women's lives during that time period.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 1, 2013
The Ghost of Lost Eagle is the first book in a series that should quickly become a New York Times best seller. There is something for everyone in this book; romance, a touch of the paranormal and action all rolled neatly into a Western package. I don't think I have ever used the descriptive 'literary genius' in any review but for The Ghost of Lost Eagle, it certainly applies. Dean Sault shows the reader that he has an incredible talent for writing with this story. The action is constant, the characters quickly become new friends (or enemies), and the story stays tight without wandering off in a million different directions. I was amazed that Mr. Sault managed to take so many elements, put them into one story and keep it interesting. That's a feat for any writer and he did it beautifully. This is my new favorite series and I cannot wait for the next book!
The characters were great fun to get to know and when I had to put the book down for any length of time, I had Sass and Phil and Tuck running through my head the entire time. Sass is a high-strung woman in a man's world with something to prove. She can out curse and out ride any of the hands on the ranch and she likes to be in charge and tough...until she meets Tuck. Phil, Sass's dad and the ranch owner, is a bear of a man with the heart to match. I think of all the characters in The Ghost of Lost Eagle he was my favorite because he reminded so much of my own daddy.
There are some adult situations in this story, so I would say that this is definitely an 18+ series. I absolutely enjoyed it and have already suggested it to friends and family.
on November 4, 2013
Ghost of Lost Eagle offers all the best elements of an old fashioned western, with the added elements of a historical romance. Add in the paranormal aspects of a dead medicine man's ghost and everything comes together in a thoroughly pleasing whole that keeps the reader engaged from start to finish.
Sass, whose real name is Assa. After a Celtic goddess, is tough as nails. She stands to inherit her dad's ranch when the time comes to pass it on. She is determined to prove to every man who comes within spitting distance that she is more than able to run things when the time comes.
Mason Tucker, better known as Tuck, is rescued by Sass following a flash flood in a canyon as he is making his way to his aunt's ranch in Wyoming Territory. Making his way back to Sweetwater Canyon he encounters a rancher who offers him a job for a month if he can't find his things when morning comes.
Tuck returns to claim his stuff early the next morning only to discover he is too late. Sass and some of her ranch hands have already discovered his things and laid claim to them. Sass offers him a job working with her men, but drives him off when he stands up for the Mexicans working under her.
Tuck makes his way to the home of the rancher who offered him a job. Turns out his things are there and the man who offered him the job is Sass's father. Offering him a bet in return for his things the rancher, Phil, gives Tuck a chance to earn his freedom. Tuck ends up staying on at the ranch as a matter of honor and helping out. Turns out some of the men who are working for Phil are killers who have threatened to harm Sass. From this point on the story really gets rolling.
I really enjoyed Ghost of Lost Eagle. It was complex and interesting. The storyline moved smoothly. My only complaint would be about some of the changes Sass undergoes near the end of the story. I felt the characters were well rounded and there were just enough of them on the canvas to keep the story interesting. I would have liked Richard and his gang to be developed a bit more, rather than being stereotypical bad guys. Overall I thought it was a good read and would recommend it to readers of Westerns, lovers of historical romances set in the wild west and people who like westerns with a mystical element.
VINE VOICEon November 16, 2013
This book kept me entertained and wondering what would happen next from the very first page until the last. I enjoyed the writing style; it made me feel as if I was transported back in time. There was plenty of humor and mystery mixed with a little dab of mysticism. I enjoyed learning historical bits about the area; it was woven into the story so well that I was never put off by too much detail, but rather I just became swept up in the whole drama.

While Sass did grow on me after a time, I was uncomfortable with her mannerisms and rough speech, particularly at the onset. I realize that, as a female, her disadvantage in those times was real and great; however, I do not think her rough language and uncouth manners would have gone unchallenged for as long as they apparently did. It was great fun watching the battle of wills between her and Tuck. I loved that Tuck met her tantrums face on, told her bluntly when she was wrong or had unreasonable expectations – and still loved her despite her considerable contrariness. Tuck and Sass make a formidable partnership. Tuck, especially, is a man of honor and integrity. I wanted to cheer as obstacles and adversity fell aside, defeated by the pair’s unflinching resolve to weather any storm. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is captivated by stories of the American Old West.

This book was provided to me by the author in exchange for my honest review.

Reviewed by Laurie-J
on July 10, 2013
Ghost of Lost Eagle by Dean Sault is an amazing western romance.

Dean Sault described his characters with such passion and fire you cannot help but want to know what they are doing, what they are thinking, and what will happen to them next.

The depth of passion that Dean's main characters and sub-main characters show for their land, animals, and each other is infections between them. All the characters in this book were described amazingly. You know you have a good book when it entices emotions out of it's readers.

I laughed out loud during parts of this story as two of his main characters are sassy, was amazed by the leading male character, Tuck, in how noble and naive he is, and got teary, in a happy way, at the end. Ghost of Lost Eagle brought on a wide range of emotions.

I started this book on Wednesday at work but did not get very far. I had a chance to pick it back up Sunday and could not put the book down. I read far beyond my normal bed time, I had to know what happened next, I had to know how the book ended.

I was given Ghost of Lost Eagle by Dean Sault as an advanced reader copy for an honest review and that is what I have given.
on July 9, 2013
I rarely read novels, but I have standards they must meet if I'm to finish them--and I don't finish many. Does the story entertain me? Does it surprise me? Do I learn something? Do I feel like I'm reading more than just one of a handful of books an author may crank out in a year like so much popcorn?

This is a western-romance-paranormal novel, and none of those genres ever appealed to me enough to take even one shot at trying it on for size. Now I understand all three, and they're all in one story--Ghost Of Lost Eagle. Somebody was betting long and heavy when they told me to read something like this--a preposterous request, just begging for a "who needs this nonsense?" attitude as I slog my way through a book that shouldn't work for me, never mind the easily manipulated.

Guess what? We all won. I surprised myself, for getting hooked and wanting--no, needing--to finish it in one sitting. (That unfortunately didn't happen.) I don't know how many more will be in the series, but I promised myself when the next one comes out, planet Earth will just have to put everything on pause until I read it cover-to-cover.

You will not fail to enjoy this book.

I found it authentic, yet contemporary in feel, with next-to-nothing I could remotely call same-old or canned or derivative. (Maybe I'd be less glowing with praise if I was a regular reader of all three genres, but nobody has that kind of time.) There was depth of detail that made sense, necessary to further understanding of the story, and I can't think of any description that was there merely to paint some pretty picture. Exposition was not only not gratuitous, it arrived when it should and made sense in ways that surprised me. Plot twists blindsided me, and I'm the kind to figure out magician's tricks.

This guy can write.

I was in search of a new author of a series I can let my heart and soul go ride, and I won't look elsewhere. Giddyup with the sequel, Dean.
on July 9, 2013
I loved this story. The first chapter just draws you in and makes you laugh out loud. The heroin is amazing her spunky attitude made me laugh. I wanted to keep reading just to see what she would do next. It was nice to have such a spunky lead female character to balance the male western world. It made me so glad I read the story.

I hate to give away the story in a review but at the same time I want to gush and post quote after quote. It says its paranormal but its more mystical, it has just enough romance to keep it believable but also just enough drama of the characters not getting along to be believable. Its a great story for any adult. The western basis is so well written you can almost see the horses. The details make a picture in your mind that makes you part of the story. Its AMAZING. I recommend this and give it an honest 5 stars. I am excited for more by this writer.