Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 131 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 166 reviews
on October 8, 2014
Ghost Trick is an immensely fun game. I found myself having a hard time putting it down. You play the role of a ghost. You've just died *no spoilers* and have no idea who you are and why you were murdered (at a junkyard, no less). So you set off to solving the mystery of your death (with the guide of a desk lamp - I'm not kidding). Along the way, you save potential victims via Powers of the Dead. Not everyone possesses these powers, but you certainly do. While you can save others, you can't use your powers to save yourself (bummer - at least long enough to trim the cone-inspired hair 'do).

You can rewind four minutes prior to the victim's demise and find a way to alter their fate. You do so by possessing and manipulating inanimate objects. There's an hourglass and you must save the victim before time runs out. Honestly, I don't find myself enjoying a game if I must perform under a time-constraint (that's just me). But the game is forgiving in a way that lets you rewind time at any given time (without being penalized).

This game reminds me a lot of Tiny Thief and Limbo in terms of manipulating your environment. So if you liked those games, you'll like Ghost Trick.

The first chapter serves as a tutorial. At first, I was a bit overwhelmed (especially when I had to get used to the idea of being dead AND save a beautiful red-head from being murdered *no spoilers*), but by the end of the first chapter, I found the mechanics to be intuitive and a total breeze.

I bought this game while not knowing that it was produced by the same Phoenix Wright series' creators. The animation, colorful characters (I absolutely loved the heroic Pomeranian) and clever dialogue that I loved in the PW series translates quite seamlessly in Ghost Trick. While I loved PW in its entirety, I think Ghost Trick would appeal to people who didn't enjoy PW because it has a bit more gameplay. Granted, there's a lot of reading, but not quite as much as PW, in my humble opinion.

This is a trial and error type of game. You keep trying different solutions and techniques until you find the one that works. I recall trying different tactics over 8 times until I gave up and consulted a guide. I was a bit peeved because I performed that technique, but not in the same sequence. So the game's TOO linear. That said, don't let it put you off from buying it, because it is very fun and addicting.
VINE VOICEon April 3, 2014
A very short while ago I watched a video that featured Ghost Trick briefly, and I fell in love with the graphic style of the game. After ordering it with some other DS games, for use on my 3DS XL, I decided that it would be the first of the batch that I would play, and therefore also one of the first games I had played on the system in months.

Throughout this game I found myself saying 'what a great game' aloud, after finding one thing or another that was amazing. While this is the first game of it's type that I think I've played, I don't believe it'll be the last.

A few of the puzzles I had difficulty with, and ended up consulting a guide for the solution, but I'm sure I would have figured them out, had I not been more interested in the story than my pride of completing it alone.

The story is definitely the strongest aspect of the game, although the art style and gameplay are not too far behind. With a few twists and turns, and a fantastic (and slightly tear-invoking) conclusion, Ghost Trick will stay with me for quite some time.

I can easily give Ghost Trick a full five of five stars.
on August 28, 2013
It's not often I rave about a game: I'm pretty picky (see my other reviews), however, this game was so addictive, in many ways. The art is unique, stylized, and well done. It reminds me of Street Fighter Alpha, a little over the top, however, I'm pretty sure the characters are 3D models, or I'm even more impressed with the quality and smoothness of the animations! The game play is simple and new, yet can get very complicated. Going from object to object, preforming single "tricks", at specific times to see how it affects the world, and other objects.

The details of animation and background, as well as interactive objects is great. Perhaps so much there to make up for the simple interface. At times you end up with a sort of Golberg-esc device, manipulating objects in a particular order to affect the change necessary to progress the story. And the story is very intriguing! It's a murder mystery, with a twist, that's deep, with many levels and minor stories that add to the whole picture. I regret rushing so fast through the story, to find out who dunit, and not taking the time to investigate each character better (such as reading their bios).

There really isn't much to Ghost Trick; it's as simple as it's name. You are a ghost, you can perform minor poltergeist-like tricks, however, with so many different objects you can perform tricks with, the puzzles become challenging. I hope for a sequel (if that is even possible with this type of game), where, perhaps, they give you more choices in solving puzzles. Most of the time, there really is only one way to complete a puzzle, having more choices would be great. Does this game deserve 5 stars? Again, I don't give that rating often, with this game I justify it because of the obvious quality in design and implementation, and, as a personal feel, it pushed me to look for more games with the same qualities it has.
on October 19, 2014
This game is great! I've had it for only a week now, and I already beat it -- not because it's too short, but because I was so engrossed, I could not put it down. I haven't been this sucked into a game in a long while. This is going right on the top of my list of favorite puzzle/adventure games... well, JUST below the Monkey Island series, that is. I will definitely play this game again in a few years when I forget most of the details. Of course, as with the Monkey Island games or any good puzzle/mystery game, it's always the best the first time around.

I bought this game because I was looking for a good mystery/puzzle game on the 3DS or DS. It had good reviews, and at $16 brand new, it seemed like it would be worth trying it out. I am so glad that I did. The art is unique and charming, the characters are quirky and engaging -- even most of the minor characters -- and the music, though simple and somewhat repetitive, does a pretty good job of setting the mood. There were only a few times that I felt completely stuck. For the most part, the puzzles are very logic based, so they're fun and challenging enough without the solution coming completely out of left field -- unlike a certain favorite eccentric point-and-click-adventure *cough* Monkey Island *cough*. I probably could have figured out the few times I got stuck without Gamefaqs if I had simply been a tad more patient and observant. I just wanted so badly to find out who I was and why I was killed! Err... I mean the game's main character...

Anyway, I titled this review with a certain well known Doctor Who phrase because there is a fair amount of time travel in this game, and as the big reveal at the end came up and the credits started rolling -- watch the credits, by the way -- the one phrase that kept going through my head was, "wibby-wobbly, timey-wimey". I can't say anymore without giving too much away, so if you want to know what I mean, you'll just have to play it for yourself! ^_^
on February 7, 2011
First off, I have never played any of the Phoenix Wright games. I know about them but just have never played them. I also like puzzles. Now that that's out of the way...

I loved this game! I bought it during a sale and the only thing I knew about it was that it was what I read from the brief description. I knew nothing about who developed this game (other than it comes from Capcom. I hardly considered that this was a puzzle type game though I assumed as much from the description and title (tricks?!). This game was fun! The puzzles were actually not too hard but a few were a bit challenging. Just read the clues and try again and I didn't mind trying several times. I loved the characters. All of them! Part of me kept trying to hold off playing it as I knew it would eventually come to the end. I'm glad I made this purchase. It was definitely worth the price.

(4 Stars for fun?!)A downside is that I do wish some puzzles were harder (but I like trying to figure out things) and that we got to see more of the crazy characters that were introduced! Also, I felt like this was too short! Saving...when you save it didn't matter because you restarted from the beginning of that Time Frame (from which you save in the first place). Overall these did not hinder my entire experience though.

Buy if You:
Like puzzles
Like a good story
Don't mind reading and re-reading dialog
Want a short game that is a little challenging
Want to feel good about the game after you played it

Do not buy if You:)
Want to rush through this game
Do not care for the story line
Have no patience
Are not fun to be around
Cannot read (game won't be fun nor the same)
Don't like guys with sunglasses who wears them at night
on March 15, 2017
This game is so much fun! With only one puzzle that was frustrating to solve, it's a short game with quirky characters and engaging game play. Clever story-telling, game mechanics, and narrative tropes. Definitely will play again and again!
on April 15, 2013
I've been on a DS binge lately and bought this game at the same time I bought Last Window: Secret of Cape West (UK Import) and Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past. I haven't played Jake Hunter but I started Ghost Trick right after playing Last Window - two very different mystery stories indeed!

In Ghost Trick, you're desperately seeking clues to your identity before the sun comes up and ends your existence forever - but around every bend is some damn fool getting killed that needs your help, and it quickly becomes apparently that you are going to help these recently departed if you ever want to find out the secrets of your past!

Ghost Trick is very much a spiritual (no pun intended) successor to the Ace Attorney series by the same creator. Quirky characters with spiky hair, high-energy females who love to eat, and a little bit of the super natural tossed in with a rousing mystery at the bottom of it all - this game will really have you hooked! The Ghost Trick puzzle mechanics are a really refreshing type of puzzle, and the story is engaging enough to keep you at it no matter what. Another addictive series, but unfortunately it seems to be only a "stand-alone" story line that will keep you guessing until the very end. The first thing I said at the end was "WHAT THE *BLEEEP*?!?" immediately followed by "YOU GOTTA PLAY THIS GAME!!!" to anyone who would listen! Pick it up now!!
on May 8, 2012
I bought this game after Gamespot gave it best puzzle. It left me wondering what is Ghost Trick? I decided to buy it and play it for myself. I have to say it is worth every penny.

Storyline:
The short version of the story is you are trying to find out how you really died. The storyline or the plot has a bit of a subplots mixed in, but after a 3 chapters it begins to connect the dots. The plot has a broad or main issue and then it breaks down each character to a smaller issue and in chapters a life. The plot gives good enough twists to keep you guessing to the very end. It can be at times be slightly paper thin, but I actually enjoyed the plot a lot. I actually cried at the end.

Characters:
The characters themselves are pretty colorful bunch and heavy on the Japanese humor. They're fun to see them interacting with each other and although each and everyone of them seem to have paper thin personalities. It is just a scratch of the surface of their personalities and giving rich understanding of the characters as the story progress.

Gameplay:
Gameplay is interesting for the puzzle game where you have to figure out how to divert people's deaths by "tricking". Ghost Trick just like the game title is where you are an energy ball or orb and you control non-living objects. The main character has a short range and can manipulate non-living objects to further your progress with the game. You also can use telephone lines to travel to one place to another as well as the ability to go back a person's life 5 minutes before their death. During the time travel backwards you cannot use the telephone lines and are limited to staying at the one location unless the phone is used where you must chose whether or not to go to the location. The game pardon the pun won't let you die and allow you to go back to the beginning of the five minutes or at the point where you revert the fate for the person. For a few chapters you are just dealing with the main character and towards the later chapters dealing with other ghost tricks. A few other ghost tricks are being able to switch items with the same shape but different size and near the end move living objects. However the game only allows one solution for each problem and doesn't allow the player to be too creative about the solution.

Dialog:
The dialog gets it own little space because it is a major one. The game doesn't have a voice cast and is all text besides the usually sound effects. The text is funny and quirky and allows imagination with the character voices. However since there is no voice actors the text can be very very long.

Overall:
The game is fun and colorful. The story despite it being at times paper thin gives a good run for the money with the gameplay. The characters are fun to get to know and beating the game unlocks a few goodies to character designs to the character profiles. It really has a high replay value.
on February 28, 2011
You awaken to a rather grim discovery: you're dead. Unfortunately it would seem you've lost your memory in death. On top of that you have until dawn before you leave the world of the living permanently. As if that wasn't enough, a murder happens right before your eyes and bizarre events are about to unfold on this fateful, fated night. Using your ghost tricks you must work your way around puzzles, saving the lives of people you don't even know, and ultimately unraveling the mystery of who you are, all before dawn breaks and you vanish forever.

The game play is simple: use your ghost tricks to move through and manipulate objects in order to solve puzzles as you work your way through the story. It is that story and its colorful cast of characters that makes this game what it is: amazing. If there's a fault with this game it's that it's too linear and there isn't much in terms of replay value other than to relive the experience again (which you'll want to).

Graphically the game makes brilliant use of the DS hardware. Backgrounds are loaded with detail and each of the many is unique and full of charm. The characters are drawn in a simple, flat style akin to flash animation that is pleasing to the eyes. Animations are absolutely incredible, flowing smoothly and stylishly in a way not seen before on the DS. To put it mildly: this is one of the most beautiful games ever to grace the DS.

The music will fit the mood of the moment, be it upbeat, moody, or somewhere in between. Sound effects will punctuate the situation effectively with sword slashes, gunshots, and barking dogs, among other things. In other words: the overall sound production will be exactly what you expected.

Fans of the Ace Attorney series (Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice) should feel right at home with this latest creation by Shu Takumi. This game is a real treat for the senses. Loaded with interesting and unique characters, a story that will keep throwing you curve balls up until the very end, not to mention beautiful animations, colorful backgrounds, and a fitting soundtrack, what's not to love about it? As a follow up to the Ace Attorney and Ace Investigations series this game has huge footprints to step in and it does so admirably, surpassing its predecessors in style, imagination, and game play. Do yourself a favor and don't miss this one.

Overall rating: 9 out of 10.
on April 7, 2016
Love it. I've probably played this game three or four times now. It's got such a fantastic storyline and you grow to love each and every single one of the characters. During my first play-through, the ending had me in tears. This is a game I would recommend to everyone. It's got such unique game art, but it makes it pleasing to the eye when you play it. The controls are easy. The game is a mix of simplicity and complication. It's great. Probably one of my favorite games for the NDS.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.