Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 2,089 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,495 reviews
on July 15, 2016
I saw "Ghostbusters" when it first hit the screens in 1984 and enjoyed myself immensely. I hadn't seen it again until recently and I am happy to say that it holds up well. It's funny, smart and doesn't take itself seriously plus it doesn't let the special effects, which may look sort of cheesy to a younger viewership but it's not 1950s-bad, overwhelm. There are revisionists out there proclaiming that "Ghostbusters" was never as good a movie as people think it was. To them I say "Pooh!" It never claimed to be anything more than a silly comedy and that's what it is, but a very good silly comedy. Murray, Ackroyd and Ramis at their youthful best with a sultry Sigourney Weaver tossed into the mix---what's not to like?.
on February 7, 2013
Ghostbusters(1984) needs no introduction. This movie should not be confused with Filmation's 1970's cartoon also called Ghostbusters. One movie critic claimed that Ghostbusters feels like The Exorcist(1973) mixed with a Saturday Night Live skit.
The 1986 cartoon The Real Ghostbusters introduced me to the characters. Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, and Peter Venkman are college professors who start a paranormal control service called Ghostbusters. Winston Zeddmore joins the team as the fourth member. The Ghostbusters have to stop a demigod called Gozer from invading New York. Ray Parker Jr.'s Ghostbusters theme song is good. Elmer Bernstein's music score for the film deserves praise, too. There was a Ghostbusters Nintendo game where one had to earn money to pay for gasoline and traps! In an early draft of Ghostbusters, the story took place in the future. That script would have driven up the budget to $300 million dollars. The special effects in Ghostbusters were top notch in 1984. The footage of the giant Stay Puft Marshmallow Man walking on New York streets looks real! Ghostbusters was a big critical and commercial hit. Teri Garr, John Candy, and George Wendt made cameos in the film's music video. I can remember shopping centers were stocked with toy proton packs. Hi-C released a beverage called Ecto-Cooler. The ABC TV version of Ghostbusters used alternate takes from the movie such as Peter Venkman(Bill Murray) calling Walter Peck "some kind of animal". Ghostbusters spawned Ghostbusters 2(1989) and a cartoon show that lasted for more than a decade. Fans are hoping for Ghostbusters III.
Ghostbusters is a classic horror-comedy.
on March 27, 2017
Classic film and one of my all time favorite comedies. The 4K transfer obviously looks the best its ever been but alot of grain and some trailing bug me a bit. I think its worth a purchase if your a fan but catch it on sale if you already own multiple copies of this movie as the original blu-ray holds up well enough.
on August 7, 2017
Nothing can beat the original two "Ghostbuster" movies for laughs and I enjoyed going back and watching them both again. Great special effects for such an old movie and the "Ghostbusters" team are great together, though Bill Murray can be a little too much at times.
on July 20, 2015
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS MOVIE. Venkman, Egan, and especially Ray are extremely halarious. This movie is a downright classic; one of the best films ever made in cinema history. I laughed till my stomach hurt.I love that green slime ghost and especially Love the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man!!!!!! He beats the Pillsbury Dough Boy by a long shot. That was radical and awesome!!!!! Love the year 1984 even if I wasn't born until 3 years later because that year had so many great movies including this one of course. Ghostbusters is one of those films that brings back the good old days of your childgood and the 80's. It is a crying shame that they do not make movies this awesome anymore. Again, the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man--my most favorite scene Oh and I laughed my you know what off when " The Gatekeepr " asked Ray if he was a god and he was such a numbskull and idiot to say "NO" and all HELL broke loose!!!!!!! Yes I agree with Winston to the max--YES, when somebody asks you if you are a god- JUST SAY YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Infinitely Halarious this movie.Great times and great movies.
on September 9, 2013
Let me just preface by saying, if you've never seen Ghostbusters there is no excuse for skipping over such an incredible piece of cinema. The writing of this film is still witty, magnificent and well executed on all levels. Folks, they just don't make them like this
anymore. Perhaps what I love the most is that even with remaster after remaster, they NEVER changed any of the special effects!
Somebody call George Lucas and slap this bluray in his face and show him that despite having out of date visual FX, this is wayyyyyyy better than re-tooling or changing something that does not need it in the first place.
As for the bluray itself the transfer is a big improvement over the last release. The contrast is not overblown, so all of those details
that should have been visible in the last bluray actually are now. Color is more accurate and natural too. Thanks to the improved transfer , more fine details emerge (transparency of the ectoplasm, textures on clothing etc, the sky actually having visible clouds in some scenes due to the finer tuning of the contrast). Dark scenes (there are lots) look great, still detailed and they didn't dial back the grain so it has that nice film look (as it should). Sound is great on this disc, mastered nicely, sometimes flat BUT when proton packs are used or catastrophies happen, the surround kicks in big time, Dialog is clear and center. I DO NOT have a 4k TV but despite what some other reviews have stated, there is a noticeable difference in quality over the last release. If you are a videophile or a Ghostbusters fan, do yourself a favor and buy this disc.
on July 30, 2013
There are enough reviews of the movie itself, and I'm not going to rehash them. Suffice it to say, it's a classic mid-1980s goofball comedy, with some definite sci-fi cred.

This version, the Blu-ray Mastered in 4K disc, is really quite nice. The one key thing that I noticed (and that I love) is that they left the film grain intact. Many people will find this objectionable, as they'll feel it's a defect or a poor-quality transfer. But it's not. It's great because they have recreated the way the film looked when it was presented theatrically. There is something particular to the film stock used in the 1980s that gave a lot of films a certain look and feel. That is maintained here, and it is the way the filmmakers wanted it to look at the time of its creation. Remastering is one thing, but "recreating" is another thing entirely.

Also, the sound, while not 100% awesome, is quite good. In particular, for the first time I was able to clearly and powerfully hear the dog/demon in the refrigerator say "Zuul." I've seen the movie a dozen times and it never resonated as clearly.

I can't speak about the Ultra Violet digital version that usually comes with this disc. I bought a pre-owned copy form Amazon Warehouse and the digital copy had already been downloaded (as I expected).
on March 15, 2016
Even though this movie was made in the 1980's, I think it still holds up. Sure, special effects have changed, but the humor and timing cannot get any better. Bill Murray, Dan Aykryod & Harold Ramis are hilarious, but I think it is the supporting cast, and even some of the bit players that make Ghostbusters a laugh riot. Ernie Hudson, Rick Moranis, Annie Potts & Sigourney Weaver are all scene stealers. Even Alice Drummond, who plays the poor librarian at the beginning of the film, is perfection. I grew up with this movie. I saw it several times in the theaters, then on rented VHS, then on cable and now I own the DVD. I watch it every Halloween, and my neighbors, who have kids, borrow it. It's a classic.
on September 20, 2014
Still a classic after 30 years now
Great screenplay, Great Directing and of course Great acting from
Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and the very sad passing of Harold ramis
i was shocked when i heard he passed away
Rick Moranis is Great aswell
every scene is still Hilarious, Hilarious comedy Duo from Bill murray and Dan Akyroyd
the Visual effects of the Ghosts and Apparations are amazing aswell from Richard Edlund
who created his first special/visual effects company when working on Ghostbusters

for this 30th Anniversary release Columbia pictures have mastered the film in 4k blu-ray technology
with this new 4k treatment the picture quality looks beautiful no Doubt about it
much better picture quality than the 2008-2009 blu-ray release
the Audio quality is the same 5.1 Master audio mix

Columbia pictures have also added a all new 25mins interview with Ivan Reitman & Dan Aykroyd
on the special features of this 30th Anniversary WHO YOU GONNA CALL
they just talk about the Legacy of Ghostbusters and give recollections
on the making of the film, Hardcore fans will love it.
and to my surprise all the old extras from the 2008 blu-ray release are on this new 30th Anniversary blu-ray
the old Making of featurette from the dvd release and on the set 1984 TV featurette
and the special effects featurette with Richard Edlund
the Deleted scenes from the film, plus all new Alternatve TV scenes for the TV broadcast
everything from the dvd release and the 2008 blu-ray release
have been carried over to this new 30th Anniversary release
plus the picture in picture Interviews from the 2008 blu-ray is on this release aswell
Columbia pictures really did give this film respect for the fans for sure.
scrap the old DVD release and the 2008 blu-ray and get this 30th Anniversary blu-ray
Definitely worth the money i Gave it 5 stars for sure
on November 30, 2013
I bought and watched Ghostbusters (Mastered in 4K) Blu-ray and it's a noticeable improvement. It's definitely the best I've ever seen Ghostbusters look. I saw objects and detail in the background I've never seen in the movie before. The picture is very colorful. Colors like red, yellow, green and others really stand out. I'm glad I bought it and I will definitely watch it again sometime.

I rated it 4 stars, because... well... I'm sure there could have been more improvement in the video and audio, but it's easily the best I've ever seen the movie look. I recommend it to anyone.