Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 8 reviews
on September 28, 2012
As I've been studying the unusual and haunted history of Madison for about 8 years now, and am a tour guide who gives candelight haunted history and cemetery tours of four cemeteries in Madison (including Springdale Cemetery) for about 6 years now, I was excited about this book coming out! I enjoyed the historical overview and research of the places discussed, was familiar with some of the reported haunted ones, and others were quite a surprise that I'd never heard before. I enjoyed the "body snatching" section (though not clear exactly where this happened from the book) and have always wove in a similar one routinely as part of my Springdale Cemetery tour when discussing the reason for sarcophagus, tablet and slab grave marker styles. B.F. Mullens was caught robbing graves while in medical training (the actual crime was in Ripley County), with a doctor and another medical student. Quite a character; I originally accidentally stumbled into him about 4-5 years ago upon the request of a person that asked me to trace Mullen ancestors, specifically B.F. Mullen's mother-in-law (a cholera victum that died in the 1850s and is probably buried unmarked in Springdale). One thing led to another, and I had to inform this person that her ancestor was a wildman who got involved in the Irish Fenian movement, was caught red-handed robbing graves, and redeemed himself by serving and practicing medicine for the Union Army during the Civil War (he's buried in St. Patrick's in Madison). I'm interested in more information on when and where Dr. Schussler's grave robbing took place, the ensuing legal uproar, and will have to research that more!

Do I think Madison is possibly the most "haunted town in America?" Well, honestly no. Not by a longshot. Though it has some intriguing stories, when one considers Savannah, New Orleans, or even nearby Louisville . . .
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2016
I grew up in Madison and was surprised to read that many of those houses I remember very well were considered haunted. The last time I visited there we ate at the Broadway Hotel. I am sorry that we didn't have the opportunity to see any of the ghostly inhabitants. It was fun reading about ghosts in my old home town.
on January 2, 2013
I found the book very interesting. I want to go to some of the locations mentioned in the book. I very familiar with many of the places mentioned.

I have taken pictures myself and saw hazes or whatever you want to call them in pictures that I took on a clear blue day. The haze was not in the picture when I took it and only showed up when I printed it out. This type of situation has taken place on too many occasions in my photo taking for me not to pay close attention to and believe that I caught something on film that was naked to the eye.
on July 17, 2014
The author was a wonderful spirit and lady.... She is sorely missed.. she passed away just before the launch of this book.....miss you my friend
on November 23, 2015
Fantastic book!
on October 5, 2013
Very good historical prospective after having resided in the area and being familiar with Madison, made for a good book to read.