Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 38 reviews
on June 18, 2016
I really, really want to give this book five stars, as I loved it. I had checked it out from the library and got hooked on the first chapter, and ordered my own copy before even finishing the borrowed one. This is one book I want in my permanent collection, it's that good.

So why not five stars? Well, as a few others have pointed out, there are inconsistencies and a few errors. While most of them don't really bother me much, I came across one on my own. In chapter 8 (specifically on page 222 of the hardbound copy that I own), the author describes a rather coincidental science-fiction story that is strikingly similar to the Titanic disaster. Although he doesn't actually give the name of the story (he does mention the author though), it's obviously referring to the well-known 'Futility, or the Wreck of the Titan' by Morgan Robertson. In describing the similarities to the fictional ship 'Titan', and the real-life Titanic, Pellegrino states that the Titan had an "identical twin sister named the Gigantic". And of course, the Titanic had a sister named the Britannic, which was changed from Gigantic. And just like the real life Gigantic/Britannic, the fictional sister of the same name was also hit and sunk by a torpedo.

This info intrigued me, as I'd never heard that before. I have yet to read the actual 'Futility' story, although I've read quite a lot about it already through the years. And I really wanted to know more about this fictional Gigantic! So eagerly I searched, and found...nothing. Zilch! In fact, at least one website about the story even declared that the Titan had no sisters. So where did Pellegrino get that from?

If I ever find out that there really was a fictional 'Gigantic' that the author was referring to, I'll apologize and edit my review accordingly. Even with the errors, this book is a marvelous read.

**Edit: The author has responded to my review and explained the apparent inconsistencies in the replies below. I still need to research this myself (and his responses have certainly piqued my interest!) to see what is actually said by Robertson, as well as the other points brought up. I do apologize if I was too hasty in my review.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2000
I really enjoyed this book. Dr. Pellegrino has touched on and explained aspects about the "Titanic" and her sinking not covered or investigated before. For the most part, it is an excellent resource.
However, I noticed some glaring errors:
It's Lord MerSey, not MerCey.
Dr. Pellegrino lists the "Minia" as the ship sent to recover the "Titanc's" dead. She was the second ship sent out. The cable ship "Mackay-Bennett" was the first ship sent out and she recovered most of the bodies that were retrieved.
The good doctor also writes of Walter Lord interviewing or talking to Second Officer Lightoller in 1956. Then Walter Lord must have known a good medium as Lightoller died in 1952.
on April 28, 2002
This book was terrific. I read it all in one day. I really liked the way the author(s) wove in stories of the people on the Titanic with the scientific analysis. And the science was fascinating. Not so technical that non-scientists couldn't understand or enjoy it, but detailed and supported with enough evidence so that it explains very well much of what happened that night. This book touches on biology, microbiology, physics, mathematics, psychology, politics, and more. A very engrossing read.
on May 21, 2003
Pellegrino has put together a wonderful, haunting collection of intimate stories of those who experienced that terrible Night to Remember aboard the TITANIC...all juxtaposed with up to date scientific information on the wreck. Beautifully, sensitively recounted proving that often the smallest details are the most poignant.
on September 25, 2015
Book was interesting and is currently being read by more than one member of the family.