Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Enthusiast: Coloringon July 13, 2015
Zach Kalusky is the head of the paranormal team, Xavier Paranormal Investigators (XPI) and host of the Sci-D television series with the same name. Zach is considered a professional investigator and his findings are respected within the paranormal community. When Sci-D executives insist that Zach team up with another, less ethical paranormal team he has serious reservations. The Demon Hunters are known for their flashy style and fabricated evidence. Unfortunately, Zach has no choice. Rosewood Asylum has been declared a city landmark and it needs to be declared spirit-free once and for all. The Sci-D network has been commissioned with the task. Will the two teams find evidence of spirit activity? Will Zach's own possession help or hinder the investigation?

Stephen Prosapio is clearly a fan of paranormal shows. As am I, this is why I chose this book in the first place. I wondered at first how much of the main character was fashioned after Zak Bagans of Ghost Adventures, but came to the conclusion the two weren't overly similar. The book does read a little like a combination of Ghost Adventures, Paranormal State and Ghost Hunters, but is unique in its own right. The author has included some distinctive differences, as well as several unexpected twists and turns. Zach's possession is more than simple possession - stigmata is involved, which added an additional element to the plot. There are some religious undertones at play - aka good vs. evil, Zach's Catholic background, etc.

The story dragged a bit here and there. There was a great deal of "ruminating" over who had betrayed the team. There were a lot of bros punching each other "in the meaty part of the arm". Some of the banter between characters struck me as somewhat juvenile. All things considered, I'd say Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum is worth reading if you enjoy a paranormal story with a twist.
hmm. This was a good book minus a few things that drove me batty. Let's go through the good first. This book is certainly not like other books. The entire thing is truly unusual. This book is part murder mystery, part ghost story, part demonology, part...well honestly it is a little bit of everything. What I liked about this book was that after it got going, it was a fun read and you had a certain level of expectation in the back of your mind about the way it would go. It never goes the way you think it might, which was actually part of the joy. I hate it when you can guess exactly what is going to happen next in any story. You can't do that with this book. with multiple story-lines going on at the same time, almost anyone can find something to keep them entertained while reading this book. The dialog in this book is funny and at times the saving grace for the areas of the book that still could use a bit of polishing. I thought the author did a good job of giving his characters life and making them interesting.

That being said, there were some things about this book that I found annoying. If this book is supposed to be a spine tingling read, there needs to be a bit more ghostly activity. This book intrigued me, but it never frightened me the way I always think a good paranormal read should have the power to do. After all, that's why I read them. If I wanted just a mystery, I would have picked up one of those instead. Having so many characters to introduce at the beginning of the book left me struggling a little bit to make sense of the flood of information.

There were things I liked about this book and things I did not, but for the most part it was a good read. I was stuck between three and four stars for a while, but I think just with the complexities of this story alone, it earned four stars. Give it a try if you are looking for something kind of unusual and fun to read.
on February 19, 2017
I purchased Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum in 2013, and it has been on my back burner for several years, as I have thousands of books on my ereader. For some reason I clicked on it a few days ago and was hooked from the beginning. I read it in one sitting and absolutely loved it. The author's attention to detail in the description of the setting and the characters was perfect. I actually felt as if I were one of the crew. I understand there will be a second book in the series, but that it is taking a little bit of extra time. I am so willing to wait for it. I liked that I was never quite sure what was going to happen next. No cookie cutter here. It was definitely my style of book, and I highly recommend it. I definitely won't wait so long to read the second book when it is released.
on October 23, 2012
Not sure what all the reviews are about claiming this book is just a rip-off of the ghost hunting shows on TV. For anyone involved in paranormal investigations (TV show or not), the descriptions are pretty accurate of what it's really like. So I'm not sure what he's supposed to be "ripping off". Anyway, I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. I do think some of the characters are predictable and the story a little too spread out with the various branching, intertwined storylines (which could probably each be books on their own). However, most of the characters are likable and the story moves at a good pace. The ending felt a bit rushed after the long buildup to the conclusion. But overall, I enjoyed this one and will definitely pick up the next book when it gets released.
on June 22, 2011
I know Stephen through facebook and was 1 among a couple hundred to read the first 4 chapters through his facebook group XPI. The minute I started reading I was interested as this was not my usal genre of books. After i was done I wanted more! and even after i purchased the book and finished the book I wanted more XPI. I still want more XPI! this book not only pulls the reader in but makes u want to be there. As Zach stuggles with being a "good catholic boy", and his gifts, he feels hes being pulled in a million different directions trying to figure out the mystery of Rosewood, and trying to figure out which of his team members betrayed him,and dealing with the "Demon Hunters". This book will entertain and captivate anyone who has just a couple minutes to read just a few lines. I love this book. Me along with a couple hundred other people have waited a long time for this book. just like we will wait until XPI's new case comes out!!!! i DEMAND more XPI and so should u!!!!
on March 19, 2015
First off, I LOVE almost anything written about the "Paranormal". Not the hokey one's about people spotting space invasions, but the well crafted, thought provoking kind, such as is contained within this book.
Editing wise, I found no grammatical errors, nor punctuation errors. KUDOS on that Mr. Prosapio! Not something, unfortunately, most Indie Writers seem to give a hoot about.
The storyline moved along at a comfortable pace, with new characters being for the most part nicely "fleshed out".
The story itself, was more character driven than story driven. I personally don't believe in ghosts or apparitions, but the suede history behind the Asylum, and the books feeling like it really did all happen in past history, was a novel concept.
Will this book scare you; no! If you're a history buff like myself, you will find it thought provoking.
All in all, the book held my interest from beginning to end. I would recommend you reading this if it's free, or bargained price, but, not off it's more than $1.99/$2.99.
Hope this helps someone, without giving you any spoilers at all. Don't you just HATE those kind of reviews? I know that I do!
on August 9, 2013
Right from the beginning, the reader is shown how deeply conflicted Zach is about what he believes he needs to be doing and what the network controlling his show thinks he should do. Whispers of doubt plague him after Zach begins to notice how things aren't adding up. The author does a good job of building the level of anxiety in the character. Although Zach is often a logical thinking, he can be misled by the amount of trust he has in those closest to him.

I was glad to see that all the characters in the book have distinct personalities. When the two groups of investigators merged, I had anticipated a certain amount of blending between the characters. It was great to see each one retain their own flaws and quirks. There are similarities among those that do each type of work in the investigation. The researchers share their passion for accuracy and are determined to find the answers needed. Tech guys seem to have their own common language although they are from different areas and backgrounds. Even Zach and his rival host, Bryce, share leadership qualities though their investigating styles are completely different.

The pacing of the story was well maintained throughout the book. When the story began, the investigation had also started. Things moved slowly before building into a feverish climax. Each chapter brought out a new piece of the puzzle. As both Zach and the reader put them together, it almost seemed as if the reader was a part of the investigation as well. There were a couple of points in the story that I had to go back and reread the passages simply because I had failed to note the date on the entry. Other than those few instances, I had no trouble being carried away by the story.

Overall, I think the author was able to mix present day elements with the known historical events that many people may recognize as they read the book. It was exciting to be able to connect with the story on that level. This book is among those that kept me turning the pages. I wanted, soon needed, to know what happened to the group as events reached their peak. If you are looking for a well-written story about ghost hunting from two points of view with a ton of scares in between, you should consider picking this one up.
on July 15, 2014
Not really understanding all the negative reviews. I really enjoyed the story and the characters. There was enough suspense to keep me reading and not too much drawn out story bits. I enjoyed all the characters and ghosts. I will say that this did remind me very much of the TV ghosts shows out there. But I don't see that as a bad thing as I like to watch them as well.
It was a bit of a who dun it mystery but aren't all hauntings because of that type of situation? I enjoyed that aspect of the book too. The only bad thing I can say is that it would have been nice to have had more paranormal activity during the taping of the show. Now the only thing that upsets me is that the sequel that was suppose to be out in 2012 is still not showing up in Amazon to read!
on January 9, 2014
I don't like very scary books. I don't watch ghost hunter shows. I get scared very easily. But Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum by Stephen Prosapio was recommended to me so I read it even though it's not a book I'd "typically" read and I am very glad I did!

In Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum two rival ghost hunter shows have the chance to investigate a supposedly haunted asylum together. Sometimes I was sure there were no ghosts and other times I was sure it was all ghosts. Occasionally I could guess what was going to happen (which sometimes meant I was pretty anxious reading - as I said, I scare easily), but the writing was extremely engaging and the story was told in a way that really kept my attention (to the point of staying up until 3am to finish it - very, very unusual for me).

Right from the start I had lots of questions and just couldn't stop reading because I wanted to find the answers. The only problems I had with Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum were minor. One is the number of characters. Both paranormal shows had several kids in it and sometimes a character would pop up that I had forgotten about or it would take me a few moments to remember which show various minor characters belonged to. The other is sometimes the scene would change and it wasn't clear. That was confusing a few times (this could possibly be an issue with the Kindle version - but stars or something indication time passage or a scene change would have been useful). Other than those little things, I, much to my surprise, really loved Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum!
on March 8, 2014
I'm not a voracious reader.....and this is definitely outside the norm for something I would pick up. I usually close my eyes at scary parts of movies or TV shows even.

I read half of the book on an overseas flight. I really enjoyed how the story continued building, from character introduction to backstory of characters. The Chicago references were awesome for me! Coming from my non-spooky background, I found it very believable ....if you believe in the supernatural as even a possibility.

The only recommendation I would make to a reader is to write the names of the two "shows" on the top of a page, the roles (e.g., leader, technical, etc.) & characters down the columns. I don't think I give anything away if I say that teams from two TV shows pair up to hunt ghosts.....remembering who the counterparts on the other teams are (especially if you don't read it in one sitting) can be a little tricky. The book is well-written enough that even if you don't have this "cheat sheet," you can still power through....

Great read!