- File Size: 207 KB
- Print Length: 65 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Beachwalk Press, Inc. (July 13, 2012)
- Publication Date: July 13, 2012
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B008LDYZHM
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,134,986 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
A Gift of the Darkest Magic Kindle Edition
Try Kindle Countdown Deals
Explore limited-time discounted eBooks. Learn more.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I gave this book 5 Stars based on a few different things.
1. The plot. I loved it. A woman willing to do anything to save the man she loves. A dark, dangerous vampire who desires something that he can never buy or attain on his own. I was immediately hooked!
2. The characters. Clarissa and Caren, sisters who are completely different and lovely in their own way. Clarissa is a woman of strength and conviction, a mother, a wife with only one heartbreaking wish. Caren, the more carefree spirit of the two would make a great friend. Tiffany, a mother, also with strong convictions, does whatever she must to care for her child. Matt, Clarissa's husband, dying of cancer and a respected , loved man. Lord Drago, Braden the vampire. A truly tortured soul, rough on the outside, alive for centuries in a pampered yet very lonely existence. He wants a miracle of his own.
3. As I said above, Ashlynn's stories have a unique voice and style. She not only brings us a romance, paranormal romance but she ties in a conflict that makes us question ourselves. 'What would we be willing to do to save the person we love most in this world?' And Ashlynn does this magnificently.
4. The book's flows nicely without glitches or lulls and the ending is killer! Yes, I shed more than a few tears over this short and the emotion of this novella sticks out in my mind as I sit here typing.
A Gift Of The Darkest Magic is one of the most touching paranormal stories I have read in a very long time and I feel very lucky to have read it. There is a content warning but honestly don't let that sway you. How can you have a vampire in a book without a scorching sex scene? Ashlynn delivers that, too.
This book oozes sensuality and love. Is there any better combination? Not in my book.
Great job Ashlynn! I can't wait to read another of your wonderful stories :)
The man she loves is dying, their daughters will soon be fatherless, and she just can't accept a life without her husband. But how far is she willing to go? When her sister waltzes into the hospital and starts spouting ridiculous tales of vampires and miracle blood, Clarissa is tempted to toss Caren out the door. And who could blame her? She sounded ridiculous.
Clarissa had spent thousands of dollars on supposed cures, only to watch her husband, Matt, continue to wither away. She certainly has just cause to doubt her sister's declaration of a new-found miracle. Clarissa doesn't believe in vampires. Her sister--God love her--has to be talking nonsense. Right?
Despite her misgivings, Clarissa allows herself to hope. One last shot. Surely Matt deserves that much. But if it worked, would he forgive her for what she'd have to do to get this miracle cure? Better yet, would she even survive entering the lair of a killer? Decisions, decisions, decisions. Clarissa embarks on an emotional roller-coaster that's bound to spark the passions of any reader.
We don't get to know much about Matt. Most of his interaction is limited to a hospital room where he relinquishes his grasp on life a little more with each passing moment. It's not until closer to the end that we get a small glimpse of what kind of person he is. With what his wife does to save his life, you'd certainly expect any man to be upset, to say the least. But Matt handles things with reason and an admirable amount of understanding.
The character I'd liked to have seen develop a little more is Lord Drago. From the beginning, he certainly fits the bill of a cold-hearted killer with little to no humanity, and even less mercy. We get a slight glimpse of change in him, but there's really very little time in the story to see a thorough character transformation.
What I liked about the story is the length to which Clarissa went to save the man she truly loved. I have to admire her for that. It would be a difficult decision for anyone. What I didn't like about the story is that the character interactions just didn't feel realistic to me. There were times when she was sarcastic or short tempered with Lord Drago, and then she'd go back to being afraid of him. I just had a hard time believing it at some points. Allowing for the context of her situation though, I was able to overlook those inconsistencies and did enjoy the story as a whole.
Overall, reading A Gift of the Darkest Magic was certainly worth my time. It made me ask myself questions like, "Would I have done the same thing in her shoes?". I can't say I was happy about the ending. But that's my own short-coming. I have a love for vampires and would like to have seen Lord Drago make a different choice than he did.
If you're looking for a touching, albeit short, story about one woman's determination, one man's ability to forgive, and a dark vampire with an overwhelming need to control, then been sure to pick up Ashlynn Monroe's A Gift of the Darkest Magic. The sex is exciting; the vampires are dark, brooding, and intense; and the love of one woman for her man is heart-warming.
Originally posted at LAS Erotic Reviews
Ms. Monroe describes so well the despair and desperation that drives the heroine to risk everything for love. To my surprise, she's not the only tortured soul in this tale. You can't help but feel for the man who agrees to help her, for a price, once you understand him better too. This story will touch you and remain long after you've finished reading the last bittersweet sentence.
I encourage you to pick this one up.
*I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
Most recent customer reviews
The story begins with Clarissa mourning her husband who's at the end stages...Read more