Customer Reviews: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI-I/HDMI/D-Sub SLI Ready Graphics Card GV-N550D5-1GI
Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 New Professional Skin Care Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon bajillions bajillions bajillions  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Cycling on Amazon Save on select ClickTight convertible car seats

on June 5, 2012
As most folks know, Nvidia has been very good to us Linux folks. As a Linux gamer since 2000, this card was a vast improvement over my 9800-GTX. I haven't found a game yet that can't be maxed out. Diablo 3 looks pretty darn good with everything maxed out. Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption GOY, Fallout 3 GOY, Starcraft 2, C&C 3, Left for Dead, Jedi Academy Jedi outcast, and Fallout New Vegas look amazing.
If your running Linux (I run Debian testing) this card will serve you well. Just be sure to run the latest Driver along with PlayonLinux and you'll be all set. Gaming in Linux is very well supported and this card runs great.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
Memory: 8GB
Harddrive: Western Digital 500GB
Monitor: 24" Dell
on June 25, 2012
I first built my pc back in 2007. It's now a 5 year old machine, which is probably ancient by today's standards. It's only got an Intel Core 2 Duo overclocked at 2.9GHz, 2GB RAM, with an ATI Radeon 2600XT 256MB card running on Windows XP SP3, all of these powered by a 500 Watt power supply. The best I could play before were games at 800x600 set at the lowest. Sometimes, modern games wouldn't even play properly and would just crash me or reboot the entire system because the ATI card couldn't cope with the game and its temperature would shoot up beyond 100c! For 5 years I really didn't know why the reboots kept on happening. I used to think that it was just my processor that couldn't handle the game. I also thought that it was my power supply.

Five years later, I finally decided to upgrade at least one part of my computer and I decided that it should be my graphics card. I did a little research and found out that my old ASUS P5HW Delux is only strong enough to upgrade to the GTX 550 Ti and it won't be able to handle the better versions of this video card. Fortunately, the 550 Ti was quite affordable at $120 so I bought it from here.

I ordered the thing on a Friday and I received it Thursday. Pretty fast delivery for free shipment. Installation of the card was easy because I already researched how to do it before hand. The first thing I did was uninstall my old ATI drivers. I also downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers (301.42 at the time) just to be sure that everything was up to date.

With everything else ready, I unplugged the pc and removed my old ATI Radeon 2600XT card, which I donated to someone who didn't have a graphics card. The 550 Ti is definitely a lot bigger than the ATI 2600XT, probably by 25% in length and size. At first I was scared that it wouldn't fit into the slot, but it actually did! The box of the 550 Ti also contained a converter of sorts. Originally, the 550 Ti needs a 6-pin connector to plug into the power supply. If you don't have a 6-pin connector but at least have a 4-pin one, that will work. Just plug the converter thing into the 550 Ti then connect it to the power supply and you're set!

After physically installing the card, it was now time to install the drivers. I plugged the computer back in and powered it up. I heard the initial beep and was relieved that it actually accepted the 550 Ti! After getting to my desktop, I quickly installed the drivers that I downloaded earlier. After that, I restarted the pc and everything went well.

As an experiment, I played Grand Theft Auto 4 just to see how the 550 Ti would do. This was the first time that I cranked everything to high! High shadows, reflections, everything else! I only used 2x anti-aliasing since that's good enough for me and I don't want to abuse the new card that much. As the game world loaded, I was amazed at how much beautiful everything looked! Highly detailed textures, reflections on cars, smooth gameplay! Wow, this wasn't the same GTA4 that I used to play at the lowest settings! It's as if it's a totally new and wonderful creation!

I played for 30 minutes, then an hour, and then 6 hours just fooling around in the world of GTA. I even used a few zombie mods just to turn all the pedestrians into zombies! It was very fun that I actually forgot about the time. When I checked the time, it was already 2 AM. I've been playing the game on high settings for 7 hours and NOT A SINGLE CRASH! While playing, I also used GPUZ to monitor my temperatures. I found out that while not playing anything, the card is at around 35c, but while playing intense games like GTA4, it goes up to around 56c. Remember, my old ATI 2600XT used to idle at 56c and go beyond 100c during intense games (which ends up rebooting the system). It's amazing that the 550 Ti can handle all the stress without having the ability to cook an egg!

The next day I tried other games and it's the same, smooth at high settings, no crashes. I consider myself as a "hardcore" gamer who can play 8 or more hours a day if time permits, and I'm very very happy with the GTX 550 Ti!

Hopefully I'll never encounter a problem with this card within the 30-day limit because as far as performance is concerned, it's working perfectly! If you're someone with an ancient computer like mine and you think that you can use a little graphical upgrade without having the replace everything but still play the latest games at high settings (but at lower resolutions), the 550 Ti won't let you down!

The only thing left for me to do is to someday build an entirely new system, probably in 2 or 3 years when my old machine is not capable of handling anything that the modern gaming world offers anymore. The 550 Ti is probably the final stop for 5 year old computers like mine, and it's really good!
on March 24, 2012
bought two at the same time, put one in my hp, and one in wifes hp. hers works great and has had no issues yet. mine however likes to over heat and turn my computer off, i changed drivers and have the issue much less, over all real nice product good for gaming.
on October 23, 2012
I bought this card for my husbands pc and he loves it. It runs cooler than my GTX 560, which is great since his tower currently only has two fans in it. The performance is about what I'd expect for this card. He hasn't had any issues with it. So for the price, this is an amazing buy.
on December 15, 2012
para empezar, le coloque 4 estrellas a este producto pues es todo lo que imagine, aunque he tenido problemas con los drivers de Nvidia por todo lo demás OK. corren los juegos de NFS (todos), y aun estoy por probar mas juegos para seguir viendo el rendimiento de esta GPU. Esta tarjeta esta muy buena, especialmente en la relación precio-calidad, la recomiendo bastante. No van a ser defraudados si la compran y quieren jugar buenos juegos. Saludos.
on June 18, 2012
I bought this card to play the new Diablo III game. It runs it like a champ with all settings maxed out on an older dell xps machine with a quad core processor and 4 gigs of ram.
on March 19, 2012
This card is super easy to install and of course now I can play battlefield3 without terrible lag.You can't beat the price for this card.......... get it
on November 26, 2012
This is a really good video card for its price. I only gave it 4/5 stars because it's not the highest end video card and as such isn't mind blowing, but it's reliable. Word of advice though: Be careful buying refurbished/used video cards! I bought a used one of these and it broke within 6 months. Very sad.
on September 30, 2012
Installation was very simple. Performance has been flawless so far. This card did not have an extra slot cover, so I had to rummage around to find one to cover the second slot that my old video card used to fill.
on August 10, 2013
Printed product manual was missing. Supplied DVD was very dated. No easy boost software, older drivers. Be sure to get latest video drivers directly from Nivida website.
Perhaps I am wrong on this , but I though ( after watching u-tube video and other sources) that a HDMI regular to mini HDMI was to be included in package. It wasn't.