Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 44 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on December 5, 2014
This board has EVERYTHING going for it. mSATA with intel hybrid drive configuration (takes an SSD and a mechanical drive, and pairs them as a "super" hybrid drive), dual thunderbolt ports, plenty of I/O and PCIe and USB 3, and so on... It's even GREAT for running as a Hackintosh...

So why the low score?

This motherboard is PLAGUED by a power supply incompatibility that appears to be related to it's PowIR regulation technology. It appears that cheaper, single rail PSUs (under 700 watts) tend to work well with this board, but when you get into multiple rail PSUs of higher wattages, people are running into absolutely INSANE incompatibilities!

The motherboard often does not even complete the POST before powering down, whenever you try and power it up on an incompatible PSU. IF you can get it to stay on long enough, sometimes you can run the board flawlessly then!. On my current 950 W PSU, It can take over 100 pushes of the power button before it "sticks". Then I'll get MONTHS of up time! Suffered a power outage last month... a FEW HUNDRED power cycle attempts before it stayed on... It took OVER AND HOUR to power up, pressing power repeatedly, every time it shut itself down!

If you run the PSU under a tester , or another mobo, it's PERFECTLY FINE!!! If you run the Z77X-UP5 TH on a lower power, cheaper PSU, it starts first try! It's absolutely insane, and there are people who STILL don't believe it!

The general consensus seems to be that it has to do with power rail loading balance. Gigabyte used PowIR chips to regulate the power to the CPU, vs the traditional discrete Power MOSFETs controlled externally. Modern motherboards get 12 volts DC from the PSU, then use MOSFETs to regulate that power down to lower voltages for the CPU. Those lower voltage regulated sources have MUCH higher currents though. If you sent a motherboard 1.8 volts at 100 Amps, you'd need insanely thick wires and they'd get very hot. Passing low voltage, high current through wire will waste more of the total wattage available as heat, than passing high voltage, lower current. Its the same principal behind the high power transmission lines between the power station and your home. Likewise, in order to efficiently get power from the PSU to your CPU, the power is transmitted as higher voltage (12 volts), lower current. This is regulated to a lower voltage, but higher current, and this is where the PowIR technology of the Z77X-UP5 TH seems to falter...

Many computers now require more power on 12 volts than can be safely delivered by a single power source, so larger power supplies tend to have multiple 12 volt "rails". It just means you have extra 12 volt supplies side by side. Each one can provide it's own independent power to different parts, like you GPU, or your hard drives... or your CPU. It's believed that the PowIR technology might be faulting out when two different power rails supplying CPU power become unbalanced during power up due to one PowIR chip drawing more power than it's neighboring chips. Maybe the rise times of the different rails don't match, or maybe the loading is different enough to cause differing voltage drops, and the supplies take a fraction of a second to compensate.

I don't know... Whatever is happening... The motherboard glitches out and immediately shuts down, before the POST can even be performed! once you are passed the PSU's power rail rise times... It seems the motherboard may stay operational on the supply for MONTHS!

Apparently, the Thunderbolt ports won't work on a Hackintosh without first being "activated" from Windows. Some firmware thing, I think... Between this and the PSU issue, it makes the extra money I spent on this board to get Thunderbolt utterly worthless, as I built a stroked Mac OS Hackintosh machine, and don't run any type of Windows on it! I could have saved $100 and AVOIDED the PSU issues by going with a different mobo...

/)_-

For all the trouble I've had going through different power supplies, to find one that works with it... I simply CAN NOT recommend this board.
on December 17, 2013
On the first build and OS install, don't mess with the factory BIOS except to activate ACHI if using a SSD, and XMP if you have performance memory modules.Simply load the programs one at a time and restart if the program ask for a restart. This is a Gigabyte product, it's designed well, it's tested well, it works well. My self made rig is a Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, I use four G-Skill Trident X memory 2400 mhz modules with the heat spreaders still attached, a Samsung 840 Pro SSD, Intel 3770K, all fitting nicely inside a Corsair 600T white case. Here is the secret to make it fit and work everyone....you must break from conventional wisdom where your cpu fan pulls air from the front of the case and pass it through to the back of your case. You must install your Zalman CNPS 9900 MAX or similar size Zalman product vertically, with the front of the fan facing down and the rear positioned up blowing towards the top of your case. When installed this way all four memory slots are filled with four millimeter to spare.
on March 25, 2013
This board is solid. Installed all new components, turned it on and everything worked out of the box.

1 - I made a few changes in the BIOS: Set memory profile to XMP, set to RAID
2 - Installed Windows 8 Pro from DVD.
3 - Installed Gigabyte included drivers off of 2 included CD's.
4 - Opened Intel Storage Manager and setup a RAID1 array with the 2 3TB drives.
5 - Formatted the 3TB RAID1 as GPT basic volume. Windows recognized full 2.7 TB array.
6 - Everything worked great out of the box, no errors so far. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised.

System:
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard with BIOS rev F11 pre-installed
USB3 front panel included with motherboard
WIFI / Bluetooth card included with motherboard
i7 3770k CPU
Cooler Master 212 Plus cpu cooler
32 GB DDR3 1866 MHz GSkill ram
Intel 180 GB SSD (OS installed on this drive)
2 x 3TB Seagate drives configured in RAID1 array (GPT format, basic volume)
Corsair CX500 power supply
Rosewill Challenger case (older version without USB3 headers)
on January 10, 2013
My ASUS p5n-d suddenly died with low voltage on the 3.3v rail and I needed to replace it. It would not boot. I had recently replaced the power supply so I was sure that wasn't the problem. After much searching, I choose the GB MB, Intel i5 and 16GB memory. I used my old case, CD drives, and hard disks. The hardware install went smooth except the CPU fan would not run on the marked fan header. I had to plug it into another fan header.

Now for the software problem. MS says you must reinstall from scratch Windows 7 if you change the MB. I had way to much software installed to waste time re-installing. I tried various suggestions but the one which worked was using Hiren's Boot disk, boot to Win7. Window very nicely then added the needed drivers so I could boot without Hiren's. I did have to change my SSD from ACHI to IDE as was on the ASUS board else Hiren's couldn't find the disks.

After the Hiren's run, I re-booted to Win7, logged on and then installed the drivers from the GB driver CD. Some minor tweeks and I was whole again. I used an old copy of Hiren's, 12.1. The current is at V15.
[...]
on March 12, 2015
one of the best motherboard out there period test overclocked Z77 Duel Thunderbolt foot the bill AND DELIVERS THE GOODS U CAN BET on that and I dare anyone to say different , don't waste your tine if you have never use one nor understand how to get the most out of this board sure I have many other brands of motherboard under my belts ASUS.MSI,Intel, do I need to go on and a few lower motherboards when I SAY LOWER I TALKING THE PRICE. THE Big guns (Intel, Asus ,MSI ,ASRock ,GIGABYTGE) NOT NECESSARY IN THAT ORDER
on June 18, 2013
Gigabyte has always made excellent motherboards, and so far, I've not had a single problem with any Gigabyte mother board that I've ever purchased. This one is no exception. It is a very nice board.

PRO's
Great board layout with all the essentials in just the right place, SATA, Power, USB2/3 etc.
This is a recommended board if you want to build a Hackintosh computer
Thunderbolt connections
Intel HD 4000 video onboard (with is a more than capable video processor for normal use)
Expandable to 32GB ram
Supports the latest intel iCore processors
Creative and intuitive 3D Bios
Excellent WIFI card included (and the corded antennas was a nice touch)

CONS
none
on February 3, 2013
Ok, so i got the board, loaded and installed almost perfectly except for one major problem, the bluetooth which was actually one of the deciding factors for buying this board does not work, I actually really want the bluetooth option to use with skype when gaming and just the mobility of it overall but to my disappointment the bluetooth is not working, if anyone knows how to get it to work please advise, would be really helpful.

Update: 10/02/2013

Ok, loving it!!!!! I mean seriously, it's a great board, realized i didn't connect the little USB power cable inside, now thats done and everything works, bluetooth is nice and strong, so is WiFi, this is a great board, would recommend this buy guys.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2013
This board (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH) along with the i7 3770k chip combine for the best computer I've ever owned. The power is insane and it stays cool. I'm getting cooler temps than I saw listed, and that's just with the stock cooler. It idles at around 31-34 Celsius. To max the chip for a real burn in test I began by packing 8 ultra compressed 7-zips at once. It looks like the stock cooler will work fine for now unless I heavily overclock in the future. The i7 chip is so strong I don't even see that being necessary right now. The audio is booming with Realtek and the components are top notch. After installing all the motherboard drivers there were no problems of any kind. Love this motherboard, it was worth every penny.
on September 30, 2014
The folks at Amazon rejected my first review which read "perfect transaction" but it seems they want fairly wordy feedback, which I might have provided if this were a work worthy of critical review and there was anything to say other than "it works and I'm happy." In some ways, Amazon is brilliant, but when they are dumb, they are dumber than a bucket of ice. Rejecting feedback due to length is DUMB! I am happy with my purchase, PERIOD! And I love Amazon, mostly!
on November 13, 2015
I only had to re-assemble the PC and check the plate for the motherboard panel as it was sightly blocking the thunderbolt port, this is a common issue and im glad i found the solution on forums using Google as i thought the first time that the thunderbolt port was not the same size as the apple cables.