A former pastor and youth evangelizer I am a Professor of Spirituality and Director of Educational Technology at the Pontifical University Antonianum. I bring a wealth of ministerial experience to my studies and teaching. As a Latino Spiritualogian (theologian of spirituality9, I have a particular concern for the relationship of Christian spirituality, Catholic social teaching and pastoral ministry. My academic research interests include medieval spirituality, Franciscanism, and both the Spanish and Mesoamerican roots of contemporary Hispanic/Latin@ spirituality.
My book Tradiciones of our Faith recieved an ILBA (International Latino Book Award) in 2014 for being the second best religion book written by a Latin@ world wide.
My lectures, parish missions, retreats and workshops focus on Christian Spiritual Growth, Franciscanism, Liberating Spirituality, Evangelization, Latin@ Popular Religion, the Triple Way, and Christian personality characteristics. I also teaches groups to do a variety of prayer styles, Evangelization Retreats, Lexio Divina in community as well as a Re-envisioning Life process for spiritual growth.
I am a Friar Minor in the Franciscan Province of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (St. Louis, MO) as well as active member and former President of the Academy of Catholic Hispanic Theologians of the United States (ACHTUS), a member of the Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA), the American Academy of Religion (AAR), and the Society for the Study of Christian Spirituality (SSCS).
I received his S.T.L. and S.Th.D. in Theology with a specialization in Spirituality from the Pontificium Atheneum Antonianum, Rome.
My articles include:
1. "Liberation Spirituality and the Process of Canonization for St. Clare of Assisi" Cord 52 (July/August 2002) 142-152;
2. "Whom will you welcome this Christmas?" U.S. Catholic 67 (December 2002) 12-15;
3. "Cara y Corazón. Raíces religiosas en un mexicoamericano" Critica LIII, 901 (Enero 2003) 52-53;
4. "Shedding Light on the New Mysteries" U.S. Catholic 68 (October 2003);
5. "Cara y Corazón (Face and Heart): Toward a U.S. Latino Spirituality of Inculturation" New Theology Review (May 2004) 46-55;
6. "Away in a Manger" Preach (Nov/Dec 2004) 20-22;
7. "Pastorcitos del Monte Venid" Catolico (Dec 5 2004);
8. "The Five Pillars of Liberation Spirituality" New Theology Review (Nov 2005) 82-85;
9. "The Spirituality of Study" New Theology Review (May 2007) 70-77;
10. "La Cotidianidad Divina: A Latin@ Method of Spirituality" in Journal of Hispanic/Latino Theology Sept 2007. No pages. Online: http://www.latinotheology.org/2008/latinoa_method_spirituality;
11. "Discernment with a Little Help from Francis and Clare" in Horizon: Journal of the National Religious Vocation Conference (Vol 34; Fall 2008),
12. "Revisiting Spiritual Classics" in New Theology Review (2008),
13. "You Don't Pay me Enough": La Salvadora Kenotica in US Film and Television" in Journal of Hispanic/Latino Theology February 2009. No pages. Online: http://www.latinotheology.org/2009/la_salvadora_kenotica.
14. Over 200 parish bulletin articles describing Hispanic and Latin American traditions called "Tradiciones de Nuestra Fe" in Bulletin Building Blocks, 2005-2009. (World Library Publications 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008).
15. "Spirituality," "Virgin Mary," "Pilgrimage," and "Popular Religion" plus a number of sidebars for the Encyclopedia of Hispanic American Religious Culture, Volume 1 & 2, (ABC-CLIO 2009).
Visit my website: http://www.spiritualitasbygilberto.com/