Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Showing 1-10 of 1,322 reviews(5 star). See all 1,615 reviews
on December 3, 2017
I loved watching GI when I was young. I believe this set contains ALL of the shows (an insane amount). The extras are worth the price of the set alone. They discuss (and show) some of the early prototypes of the show. There is LOTS of trivia about the show & characters that is very very cool! I tried to binge watch all the shows at once - not recommended as there is just too much material to get through without getting overwhelmed. This is a must-have for GI fans!
9 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on June 21, 2012
To anyone thinking of buying the complete series, there are two versions: the 9-disc double sided version and the 17-disc version which was made last year. In my case I made sure I was buying the 17 disc version and what was more interesting -at the time of this review- is that is HALF the price of the inferior 9 disc version(who would want the double sided discs when you can get the single sided cheaper? duh). The color episodes look great considering it's an almost 50 year old show and the packaging is the spindle kind where the disc are all in the middle of the case with a disc on each side of the tray. Great show for people into nostalgia or just miss the days when they grew up watching this show on reruns in the 70s and 80s like me. Worth buying... the 17 disc version that is!
63 people found this helpful
on January 19, 2017
We have not had this much clean fun since forever! The Gillian's Island series is wonderful for the whole family. I never watched Gillian's Island much as a child but my fourteen year old just loves it. So as a Christmas gift this year I looked over hundreds of dvds looking for the best one and found this treasure. Alex so was excited on Christmas morning! We watched theses dvds every day and are still on the first season. We all love sitting and watching Gillian. My seven year old didn't think he would like it because there are a lot of the episodes in black and white but he loves just as much if not more then my oldest does! Even my husband who doesn't watch tv at all sits and watches Gillian's Island with us. I love that this so is clean. No vulgar language or unwanted obscene cast members. Just good wholesome clean fun for the whole family! I just wish there were more shows like this in today's world. The whole world can use a few more shows and people like Gillian!
|11 comment|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon December 4, 2012
Great to have this set at a great price! (I picked it up for $26.99). This set used to hover around the hundred dollar mark, so when I saw it for such a low price I snatched it up. The funny thing was, I saw all three season sets at Target for $9.99 each and snatched them up prior to finding the lower price boxed set here at Amazon. I returned the season sets because I wanted the Complete Series Box. The funny thing is, Season Three does not come in the "fat" DVD case like the retail version I picked up at Target, and like the other 2 seasons enclosed in the box set. Season 3 comes in a standard size DVD case with a multiple disc insert to hold all five discs. It just seems strange that the manufacturer would have a different version of Season 3 for retail than for the box set, when the other two seasons seems to be the same ones that I returned to Target.

The only explanation I could figure out for the revised Season 3 packaging is that the manufacturer is using the boxes designed for the original release of this title which had double sided discs originally packaged in cardboard type boxes that pulled out from the slip case to hold the discs. Possibly, the current configuration of the two "fat" cases and the single standard case fit in the same specs without redesigning the original case. Seasons One & Two both have six discs each, while Season Three only has five, so it is only logical that the last season would need less room.

The quality of the video is great, and the audio is up to par with TV shows from this era. It's great to see Gilligan again, since I don't see the show in syndication anymore. Also the unaired pilot was cool with different characters and a different song was cool to see. Plus, there are no flipper discs anymore. All discs in this set are all single sided.
9 people found this helpful
on January 8, 2015
Cherished characters and their loveable antics come to life once again in this wonderful DVD set. Got the blues? Had a rough day? Need something to take your mind off everything else? Well, this is the medicine! Even (and perhaps especially) if you were not fortunate enough to enjoy this series in its prime, you can rest assured that the totally diverse and awesome group of folks who end up on the island will bring lots of smiles and loads of laughs! And, hey...what's not to love about a grumpy, but good-hearted and often fallible Skipper (Alan Hale, Jr.), a superlatively goofy, clumsy, yet entirely loveable first mate (Bob Denver), a very rich yet incredibly endearing aristocrat couple (Jim Backus and Natalie Schaeffer), a MOVIE STAR (the beautiful Tina Louise), a professor who knows a lot about everything but little about many things (Russell Johnson) and an every-day sweetie who can cook anything that moves or doesn't and you WILL like it (Dawn Wells)! The variety of exceptional writers and directors bring the group and island to life in a fashion that makes you wish YOU were there! So buy it...and GO there!
on August 1, 2016
Gilligan. Need I say more? My 8 and 9 year old love to watch these episodes with my husband and I. I've seen some I remember and then many episodes I don't remember at all! I thought I'd seen them all as a kid! LOVE watching these again. And we couldn't find them anywhere on Netflix, etc....
4 people found this helpful
on May 26, 2014
It's kind of sad that it took Russell (The Professor) Johnson's death in January to get me watching this show again, but I never really stopped liking it... I just wasn't watching it. I have been a fan of this show since I was a little kid in the '70s...I would rush home from school and before I settled down to tackle my homework, I would grab a light snack and turn to WPIX in New York City at 4:30 pm to watch Gilligan's Island. How I loved that show!

Recently I took the plunge and purchased this classic comedy on DVD. All 98 episodes, which aired from September 1964 to May 1967, plus the rarely seen pilot episode are here in their entirety, with some wonderful extras included. It's interesting to note that the pilot did NOT include Tina Louise, Russell Johnson and Dawn Wells but actors Kit Smythe, John Gabriel and Nancy McCarthy, respectively. The latter three were all recast, with some character retooling, due to the fact that they were not as appealing as main players Bob Denver, Alan Hale, Jr., Jim Backus and Natalie Schafer were with test audiences...good move by Sherwood Schwartz. For what is passing these days for entertainment, this is a welcome change. Good, clean, escapist comedy that everyone in the family can enjoy and will make you laugh out loud, especially the Season 1 gems, "Waiting For Watubi" and "Physical Fatness"...simply hilarious. Denver and company turned out to be one of the best and memorable ensemble casts in television history, regardless of what critics and network execs thought of this show. Its longevity and popularity proved those naysayers wrong. If you are a Gilligan fan, then this collection is absolutely a must to own. Get yours now!
2 people found this helpful
on June 14, 2016
Watched this growing up with my parents and always enjoyed it. Product Great price for the complete season.
review imagereview imagereview image
on December 14, 2013
My brother and I would come home from school, put together a snack, and sit down to watch Gilligan's Island every weekday when we were kids. I'm glad to see the series on DVD and my wife and I are enjoying it very much.

This must be a remake of an earlier release. The DVD menus and box documentation indicates that there are episodes on the back side of the DVDs. However, this release has all the episode on a single side (which I like far better). The DVD menus still say that there are episodes on the back side, so someone must have forgotten to edit that out in this remake because all of the episodes on that DVD are still listed in the menu, and you can access the episodes without turning the DVD over. I can live with that!

The stories are still as funny as ever. Sure they are a bit corny, but fun to relive. Many good laughs! If you are a Gilligan's Island lover, you will enjoy these DVDs. So far, not a single glitch, pause, or problem with the DVDs and the packaging allows for keeping your DVDs in good shape.
4 people found this helpful
on August 10, 2015
This show is hilarious! It is goofy, it is fun, it is totally not serious, and if you take it seriously you are as goofy as it is! I laugh at some of the people who have given it bad reviews because it doesn't make sense. They say "why did they bring so much luggage on a three-hour cruise" I have to say to them "if you are critiquing Gilligan's Island's reality factor, you need to check your reality factor!" This show was never intended to have any seriousness whatsoever, and was definitely intended for afterschool children's viewing. And when I was a kid it was my absolute favorite show next to the monkeys (which also had a very low reality factor)! If you have children (maybe 6 to 12 years old), this would be a super good Christmas present for them!
One person found this helpful