Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 2,018 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,318 reviews
on April 17, 2013
I was replacing a set of cheap Walmart knives that had begun breaking at the tangs in the plastic handles. I looked at every brand and price but settled on these because of the variety of the set and that the blades were part of the handle. I was very pleased with the santoku knife. It was very sharp and performed well. The rest of the knives were mediocre at best. The serrated edges were not sharp and lacked the pointed edges that would make them perform well. As others have stated the bread knife simply crushed and gummed the bread. My husband got up from the dinner table and went to get a better steak knife the first time he used them. The last straw was the rust that began to appear. They were hand washed but allowed to drip dry in a dish rack. Bad mistake. The rust was like none I have ever seen before-- thick and gummy (see picture in the product view) so back they went today. Just disgusted it will cost me $9+ to return them. Listen to the warnings and don't buy these. You will be disappointed.
review image review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 27, 2010
If you're of a certain age, you probably remember the ultra-cheesy Ginsu commercials from the 70s and 80s, full of soda-can slicing and wood hacking and the like. I must say I hesitated to buy these because I still associate the Ginsu name with tacky infomercials. However, I needed steak knives and, frankly, the less you spend on steak knives, the more you have left to spend on steak. So I took a chance on a set of these. They're great! They feel good in the hand, they look nice, they're sturdy, and they're sharp as anything. I just put another set in my shopping cart, in fact.

Incidentally, my last set of steak knives was a fancy Henckels set. They were nice; they were sharp; they lasted a few years. But the fact is, none of these newfangled serrated blades can be sharpened, and the Henckels eventually got too dull to handle a sirloin. These will get dull too, I know, in a few years of hard use. But it won't hurt so much to pitch 'em when they only cost me $2.50 per knife.
22 comments| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2014
Edited Review: After just a few months, I am extremely unhappy with these knives. For comparison, I have one or two of what I consider nice mid-range knives (brands like Calphalon), which I virtually never sharpen and have been really pleased with. These knives have never rusted on me even after I've done plenty of stupid things with them like run them through the dishwasher or leave them in a wet sink. I just wanted a basic matched set in a block, which led me to Ginsu. So that is my reference point for these knives.

Unfortunately, I hate these and will be giving them away on craigslist - and I don't think I will ever be buying Ginsu knives again. I take pretty good care of my knives, and they are almost all dull and rusted. After 3-4 months!

They didn't cut well the first day I used them, so it's not even just a wear issue. I just about cut my hand off using these on basic tasks like cutting up tomatoes or onions - foods that should not be difficult to cut with a good knife. They are AWFUL and food sticks right to them instead of coming away from the knife like higher end knives tend to do. I even have a little $5 generic brand paring knife from a "big box store" that I will not name that lasted me two great years of sharp, easy use. So it is safe to say these are the worsts knives I have ever used.

I am truly amazed at the amount of positive reviews, and it is hard for me to think they aren't either coming from broke college students who have never used a good knife before (which is fine..!) or people who reviewed after only using them one time. If you can't afford a full, decent knife set right now, I would recommend just buying maybe two key knives from a nicer line - a paring knife and chef and/or santoku would do - and then building your collection as you go, buying an empty knife block if you need it. These knives are cheap, dull, and have cheap looking handles. The weight is poorly distributed on the knives and they are too lightweight. You run much greater risk of cutting yourself with knives like these - so don't do it!
on February 11, 2014
For the average cooking family you can't beat these knives. I could not afford the Henkels from Germany but have owned the Chicago Cutlery knives made in the USA. Difference is that the more professional knives are extremely sharp when new but will dull down after a good amount of use. Sharpening them never brings them to factory edge and finding the right sharpner is always hard and expensive.

The Ginsu knives do solve the problem of sharpening. They are not miracle knives, just a normal blade with serrations on them. Their sharpness cannot compare to new pro level knives - I would rate Ginsus a 7 out of 10 where 10 is a new pro level knife's sharpness. But the 7 rating will always stay with the Ginsu whereas a pro level knife will dull down to a 3-4 rating down the road without sharpening.

They are very durable and for the price good quality, I do not miss my Chicago Cutlery implements. I use them daily in the kitchen and they are more than adequate for family cooking. Chopping, slicing, dicing, paring, can all be achieved with the set. The steak knives are very good and will easily cut that well done sirloin. I did cut an aluminum can and it works afterwards too. Slicing tomatos thinly is a little more difficult as only the sharpest knives do the best jobs. Ginsus are good sharp not excellent.

One thing I noticed is that the serrations of the knife can cut the Ginsu knife block if you re-insert them for storage. I just turned all the knives serrations up so the back tang rests on the block - so removing and re-insertions don't cut into the block......

I recommend it - and I've owned my for over 4-5 years and they still work great. Its a good product and my hasn't fallen apart or stained after daily use. My Chicago Cutlery knives just sit in the cupboards collecting dust......
on August 11, 2016
These knives were an affordable option for a lake house. We have used these full time for a bit over two years. Always hand washed, never left in a sink full of water. Yesterday my wife was cutting an onion with one of the paring knives (not chopping just pealing) and the blade snapped clean off at the handle. It is a miracle that she was not badly cut. The rust that weakened the blade was inside the handle. No visible rust on the blade. I have no confidence in these knives now and plan to toss the whole set. They are cheap and sharp but if you buy plan on hand washing and drying - not just placing in a drying rack. My last set of knives (from Cutco) went to my daughter when we moved and are still going strong after 35 years. By that standard these ginsu knives are a terrible value
on July 25, 2015
I bought similar looking knives at a restaurant supply store and they cost less than these. (ridiculous sale, about $2.00 for 8 of them) - They were not full tang, but we wanted a set of serrated knives that we can throw in the RV, the dishwasher, and have around the kitchen for minor things, like cutting an apple in half, or slicing some cheese.

One of those came out of the dishwasher partly melted and the tang only reached up to where the plastic meets the blade. (in the garbage it went)

These Ginsu knives are light weight and not the greatest quality, but they are full tang and riveted.
The serrated edge is sharp.
The price won't break the bank.
Hand-washing is what I do. One went into the dishwasher the knife came out fine.
At this price, they are easily replaced if necessary but it looks like they will last a few years.

If you need inexpensive knives to take to your dorm, use in RV, or simply have a to-go knife for small tasks, these are perfect.

*** UPDATE 8/19/2015 ****

The blades will stain if not dried promptly after hand-washing. Bar Keeper's Friend did not restore the shine. I recommend dry them with a towel before storing and forget about air-drying.

My rating remains unchanged. They are inexpensive and sharp for every day use.
Hope this helps.
on December 12, 2014
I`m not much of a chef so I never buy the expensive knives that are overkill for me. My philosophy is that I`d rather buy a new set of "cheap" knives every couple years and have a fresh, sharp set versus paying for one really excellent set. Among those cheaper sets I`ve bought over the years (sub 40 range) these have turned out pretty well. They have respectable sharpness out of the box. The one thing that really sets apart these knives are they full tang. That's hard to find in a budget set, and that is THE first requirement I have among knives. Full tang, reasonably sharp, I`m happy. Less than full tang is downright dangerous and I`ll never use one again after a couple scary close calls.

So I think quality compared with so-called "real" knives these probably rank 3 stars. But when the price is factored in, and it's compared with the same cost knives. they get 5 stars.
on July 16, 2015
I needed a knife block set for my kitchen, I was on a budget and after doing a lot of research on Amazon I ended up going with this Ginsu set and I'm glad I did. It looks great on my kitchen counter and it doesn't come across as "cheap".

The knives themselves are very sharp and cut well through meats and other types of food. The steak knives do the trick with thick steaks too. The scissors are great for a wide variety of household tasks too.

I've read quite a few reviews saying to not put these knives in the dish washer. Although I've been careful to hand wash and dry them myself, my girlfriend forgets occasionally and puts them in the dish washer but they have not shown any signs of rust which is good to see.

Overall this is a great starter set of knives that are sharp and look nice too. I'd definitely recommend them, especially if you're on a budget.
on February 19, 2015
We were looking for an inexpensive knife set and we chose this set. We understood we weren't getting a professional grade set of knives. These are Ginsu's basic set. But, someone in our household has been using our Chicago Cutlery knives to open cans, cut string, and do other tasks that make me want to pull my hair out. I decided to get this set because if the blades get ruined, it wouldn't have been a huge investment.

The full tang is essential. I have used knives without the tang extending into the handle and they are useless. I definitely prefer a wood handle compared to these Bakelite handles, but that is why these are so inexpensive. A wooden handle is more comfortable and had needed weight to the knife. Even with the full tang the balance of the chef's knife is too far forward. But this probably won't bother most people.

The blades are sharp, and as long as they stay sharp these knives will be worth the price.
on July 27, 2014
DO NOT WASH THESE KNIVES IN THE DISHWASHER!!!!

Like any tool these knives need proper care. Washing in the dishwasher will rust the knives! I've owned my set of these knives for about 18 months now and they're still sharp as the day i got them and rust free.

You'll see other posts here complaining of rust, but if you follow the instructions (god forbid) you'll love the knives as i have. I hand wash and dry them immediately after use.

The only thing I don't like about this set is all but the santoku blade are serrated. I prefer a non-serrated paring knife.

And for those that didn't read the information and have rust on their blades, soak them in vinegar for a few hours or overnight to remove the rust, then hand wash them and apply a thin coat of mineral oil. Mineral oil will help keep the rust from spreading and is edible. I put a few drops of mineral oil on a paper towel and wipe the blade down with it.

Don't worry mineral oil is edible, you can buy it the local supermarket or pharmacy. Don't use too much though, mineral oil is a laxative...