Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,054 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,361 reviews
on July 16, 2015
I needed a knife block set for my kitchen, I was on a budget and after doing a lot of research on Amazon I ended up going with this Ginsu set and I'm glad I did. It looks great on my kitchen counter and it doesn't come across as "cheap".

The knives themselves are very sharp and cut well through meats and other types of food. The steak knives do the trick with thick steaks too. The scissors are great for a wide variety of household tasks too.

I've read quite a few reviews saying to not put these knives in the dish washer. Although I've been careful to hand wash and dry them myself, my girlfriend forgets occasionally and puts them in the dish washer but they have not shown any signs of rust which is good to see.

Overall this is a great starter set of knives that are sharp and look nice too. I'd definitely recommend them, especially if you're on a budget.
on February 11, 2014
For the average cooking family you can't beat these knives. I could not afford the Henkels from Germany but have owned the Chicago Cutlery knives made in the USA. Difference is that the more professional knives are extremely sharp when new but will dull down after a good amount of use. Sharpening them never brings them to factory edge and finding the right sharpner is always hard and expensive.

The Ginsu knives do solve the problem of sharpening. They are not miracle knives, just a normal blade with serrations on them. Their sharpness cannot compare to new pro level knives - I would rate Ginsus a 7 out of 10 where 10 is a new pro level knife's sharpness. But the 7 rating will always stay with the Ginsu whereas a pro level knife will dull down to a 3-4 rating down the road without sharpening.

They are very durable and for the price good quality, I do not miss my Chicago Cutlery implements. I use them daily in the kitchen and they are more than adequate for family cooking. Chopping, slicing, dicing, paring, can all be achieved with the set. The steak knives are very good and will easily cut that well done sirloin. I did cut an aluminum can and it works afterwards too. Slicing tomatos thinly is a little more difficult as only the sharpest knives do the best jobs. Ginsus are good sharp not excellent.

One thing I noticed is that the serrations of the knife can cut the Ginsu knife block if you re-insert them for storage. I just turned all the knives serrations up so the back tang rests on the block - so removing and re-insertions don't cut into the block......

I recommend it - and I've owned my for over 4-5 years and they still work great. Its a good product and my hasn't fallen apart or stained after daily use. My Chicago Cutlery knives just sit in the cupboards collecting dust......
on February 19, 2015
We were looking for an inexpensive knife set and we chose this set. We understood we weren't getting a professional grade set of knives. These are Ginsu's basic set. But, someone in our household has been using our Chicago Cutlery knives to open cans, cut string, and do other tasks that make me want to pull my hair out. I decided to get this set because if the blades get ruined, it wouldn't have been a huge investment.

The full tang is essential. I have used knives without the tang extending into the handle and they are useless. I definitely prefer a wood handle compared to these Bakelite handles, but that is why these are so inexpensive. A wooden handle is more comfortable and had needed weight to the knife. Even with the full tang the balance of the chef's knife is too far forward. But this probably won't bother most people.

The blades are sharp, and as long as they stay sharp these knives will be worth the price.
on July 7, 2016
Have you ever seen a commercial or demonstration of knives cutting nonfood stuff like wood, rope and leather and then still cut food with ease? When I see them I'm very skeptical. But it's true of these knives. I was doing some home improvements in June 2016 and my hacksaw broke in half. I remembered the demonstration so I decided to use the chef's knife instead of buying a new hacksaw. The knife gave a better cut and was easier to use than the saw. After I was done sawing, I ease the knife and fixed dinner. The knife still cut both the sweet potatoes ad bread with ease. They cut as well after 4 years as they did the first day I used them.
even after using the chef's kife
on December 15, 2014
I've been using these knives since August of 2011. Overall, I've been VERY pleased with the set. The knives have not rusted and have kept their sharpness fairly well. That being said, I did sharpen them after about 2 years of use.
SUGGESTIONS:
1) Different set of shears - I trim chicken with these quite often. The plastic that runs down the blades unfortunately grabs onto little bits of raw chicken. This means cleaning them is more labor intensive since you have to pick the little pieces out and often have to scrub pretty hard to make sure they are truly clean.
2) Add pairing knives - I spend a decent amount of time chopping smaller vegetables. This set doesn't really have any smaller pairing knives. I ended up getting a 3 set of Henckel pairing knives. I swapped them out for 3 of the steak knives in my block (I mean how much steak does one man eat?)
BOTTOM LINE:
I'd definitely recommend this set with a few cheap alterations.
on July 27, 2014
DO NOT WASH THESE KNIVES IN THE DISHWASHER!!!!

Like any tool these knives need proper care. Washing in the dishwasher will rust the knives! I've owned my set of these knives for about 18 months now and they're still sharp as the day i got them and rust free.

You'll see other posts here complaining of rust, but if you follow the instructions (god forbid) you'll love the knives as i have. I hand wash and dry them immediately after use.

The only thing I don't like about this set is all but the santoku blade are serrated. I prefer a non-serrated paring knife.

And for those that didn't read the information and have rust on their blades, soak them in vinegar for a few hours or overnight to remove the rust, then hand wash them and apply a thin coat of mineral oil. Mineral oil will help keep the rust from spreading and is edible. I put a few drops of mineral oil on a paper towel and wipe the blade down with it.

Don't worry mineral oil is edible, you can buy it the local supermarket or pharmacy. Don't use too much though, mineral oil is a laxative...
on July 24, 2014
These are GREAT knives. A lot of the negative reviews are just people too silly to read the directions and understand the knives. They are great quality, especially at the price, BUT THEY ARE NOT DISHWASHER SAFE. After use you must immediately hand wash and and towel dry them as best you can and then let them air dry. They will rust if you soak them or put them in a dishwasher! If this bothers you then feel free to spend $300+ dollars on a higher quality dishwasher safe knife set. I'll happily stick with my $40 Ginsu set and buy 12 more sets to replace them should the need ever arise (which it won't because I take care of them) before I'll drop that much on a knife set. I buy high quality individual knives for the high quality specific knives I need, but for regular house use, steak knives, etc, this is a fantastic set.
on September 22, 2014
Set arrived today, on time, undamaged, appropriately packaged. A few months ago I ordered a 5-piece set of Ginsu knives (block set) for use in our RV and we have been pleased. I ordered this set of steak knives notwithstanding the review complaints of rust spots forming on "stainless" blades after just a few cycles thru the dishwasher. All I can say is that we own a nice set of daily-use flat wear that has 18/10 stainless blades, and discovered rust on recent addition pieces (same name brand, same pattern, same quality stainless) as opposed to pieces acquired in the 1970's. The difference? The old pieces are stamped "made in Germany" and the newer pieces, "made in China". I'm betting that if the Ginsu steak knives are as good as the Ginsu knife block set (both made in China, not Japan) and if we wash them by hand and keep them out of the dishwasher, we will have no rust problems. Is the rust problem the heat of the dishwasher? The chemicals used in the detergent? Or the content of the stainless alloys used by Germany vs China that is the problem? I'm just saying.....
on June 3, 2014
Sometimes we do things a little backwards in my house. When my husband and I decided that we wanted ribeye steaks seared in a cast iron pan with a red wine jus, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and wedge salads with homemade blue cheese dressing for dinner, we bought the ingredients first. Then we bought the cast iron pan, and the knives. Admittedly, this dinner took a few days to prepare. These knives were affordable, and they arrived in just a few days. Sharp and sturdy with serrated blades, they're now my go-to not only for steak, but for cutting tomatoes, and performing other quick jobs when a regular paring knife just won't do. The handles are small and ergonomically friendly, unlike those steak knives with the wide wooden handles that are awkward to use, and that tend to loosen over time. Buy these knives. You won't be disappointed.
on December 6, 2015
This is the first knife set that I've ever purchased (back in October 2014), so I don't really have anything to compare it against. But being one of the cheapest sets I could spot, I picked them up. The quality, for it's cheap price point, is great. The knives are sharp, and even after a year work well. I haven't had any issue with cutting vegetables, fruits, Amazon boxes, presents, etc.

The handles feel fairly solid, though a couple of the knives have handles that don't feel well put together. This can be fixed by either placing the thumb or the index finger at the bridge of the handle and the blade itself, providing it just a tad bit more support (feels awkward holding it in 'shank' form anyhow).

After about a year of use, the scissors were completely destroyed and at least one of the blades seem to have lots its sharpness. I will say though that I have put them through the dishwasher numerous times which probably caused this to happen. Looking back, it clearly states to hand wash only, so this is my fault. I have purchased another non-set pair of scissors and it fits perfectly into the scissor slot. So all is well.

So why did it lose a star? Mainly the deal with the handles.Still though, for the price-point, you can't beat it!