Industrial Deals Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on March 27, 2010
If you're of a certain age, you probably remember the ultra-cheesy Ginsu commercials from the 70s and 80s, full of soda-can slicing and wood hacking and the like. I must say I hesitated to buy these because I still associate the Ginsu name with tacky infomercials. However, I needed steak knives and, frankly, the less you spend on steak knives, the more you have left to spend on steak. So I took a chance on a set of these. They're great! They feel good in the hand, they look nice, they're sturdy, and they're sharp as anything. I just put another set in my shopping cart, in fact.

Incidentally, my last set of steak knives was a fancy Henckels set. They were nice; they were sharp; they lasted a few years. But the fact is, none of these newfangled serrated blades can be sharpened, and the Henckels eventually got too dull to handle a sirloin. These will get dull too, I know, in a few years of hard use. But it won't hurt so much to pitch 'em when they only cost me $2.50 per knife.
22 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 7, 2016
Have you ever seen a commercial or demonstration of knives cutting nonfood stuff like wood, rope and leather and then still cut food with ease? When I see them I'm very skeptical. But it's true of these knives. I was doing some home improvements in June 2016 and my hacksaw broke in half. I remembered the demonstration so I decided to use the chef's knife instead of buying a new hacksaw. The knife gave a better cut and was easier to use than the saw. After I was done sawing, I ease the knife and fixed dinner. The knife still cut both the sweet potatoes ad bread with ease. They cut as well after 4 years as they did the first day I used them.
even after using the chef's kife
on December 12, 2014
I`m not much of a chef so I never buy the expensive knives that are overkill for me. My philosophy is that I`d rather buy a new set of "cheap" knives every couple years and have a fresh, sharp set versus paying for one really excellent set. Among those cheaper sets I`ve bought over the years (sub 40 range) these have turned out pretty well. They have respectable sharpness out of the box. The one thing that really sets apart these knives are they full tang. That's hard to find in a budget set, and that is THE first requirement I have among knives. Full tang, reasonably sharp, I`m happy. Less than full tang is downright dangerous and I`ll never use one again after a couple scary close calls.

So I think quality compared with so-called "real" knives these probably rank 3 stars. But when the price is factored in, and it's compared with the same cost knives. they get 5 stars.
on July 27, 2014
DO NOT WASH THESE KNIVES IN THE DISHWASHER!!!!

Like any tool these knives need proper care. Washing in the dishwasher will rust the knives! I've owned my set of these knives for about 18 months now and they're still sharp as the day i got them and rust free.

You'll see other posts here complaining of rust, but if you follow the instructions (god forbid) you'll love the knives as i have. I hand wash and dry them immediately after use.

The only thing I don't like about this set is all but the santoku blade are serrated. I prefer a non-serrated paring knife.

And for those that didn't read the information and have rust on their blades, soak them in vinegar for a few hours or overnight to remove the rust, then hand wash them and apply a thin coat of mineral oil. Mineral oil will help keep the rust from spreading and is edible. I put a few drops of mineral oil on a paper towel and wipe the blade down with it.

Don't worry mineral oil is edible, you can buy it the local supermarket or pharmacy. Don't use too much though, mineral oil is a laxative...
on July 24, 2014
These are GREAT knives. A lot of the negative reviews are just people too silly to read the directions and understand the knives. They are great quality, especially at the price, BUT THEY ARE NOT DISHWASHER SAFE. After use you must immediately hand wash and and towel dry them as best you can and then let them air dry. They will rust if you soak them or put them in a dishwasher! If this bothers you then feel free to spend $300+ dollars on a higher quality dishwasher safe knife set. I'll happily stick with my $40 Ginsu set and buy 12 more sets to replace them should the need ever arise (which it won't because I take care of them) before I'll drop that much on a knife set. I buy high quality individual knives for the high quality specific knives I need, but for regular house use, steak knives, etc, this is a fantastic set.
on December 15, 2014
I've been using these knives since August of 2011. Overall, I've been VERY pleased with the set. The knives have not rusted and have kept their sharpness fairly well. That being said, I did sharpen them after about 2 years of use.
SUGGESTIONS:
1) Different set of shears - I trim chicken with these quite often. The plastic that runs down the blades unfortunately grabs onto little bits of raw chicken. This means cleaning them is more labor intensive since you have to pick the little pieces out and often have to scrub pretty hard to make sure they are truly clean.
2) Add pairing knives - I spend a decent amount of time chopping smaller vegetables. This set doesn't really have any smaller pairing knives. I ended up getting a 3 set of Henckel pairing knives. I swapped them out for 3 of the steak knives in my block (I mean how much steak does one man eat?)
BOTTOM LINE:
I'd definitely recommend this set with a few cheap alterations.
on February 11, 2014
For the average cooking family you can't beat these knives. I could not afford the Henkels from Germany but have owned the Chicago Cutlery knives made in the USA. Difference is that the more professional knives are extremely sharp when new but will dull down after a good amount of use. Sharpening them never brings them to factory edge and finding the right sharpner is always hard and expensive.

The Ginsu knives do solve the problem of sharpening. They are not miracle knives, just a normal blade with serrations on them. Their sharpness cannot compare to new pro level knives - I would rate Ginsus a 7 out of 10 where 10 is a new pro level knife's sharpness. But the 7 rating will always stay with the Ginsu whereas a pro level knife will dull down to a 3-4 rating down the road without sharpening.

They are very durable and for the price good quality, I do not miss my Chicago Cutlery implements. I use them daily in the kitchen and they are more than adequate for family cooking. Chopping, slicing, dicing, paring, can all be achieved with the set. The steak knives are very good and will easily cut that well done sirloin. I did cut an aluminum can and it works afterwards too. Slicing tomatos thinly is a little more difficult as only the sharpest knives do the best jobs. Ginsus are good sharp not excellent.

One thing I noticed is that the serrations of the knife can cut the Ginsu knife block if you re-insert them for storage. I just turned all the knives serrations up so the back tang rests on the block - so removing and re-insertions don't cut into the block......

I recommend it - and I've owned my for over 4-5 years and they still work great. Its a good product and my hasn't fallen apart or stained after daily use. My Chicago Cutlery knives just sit in the cupboards collecting dust......
on June 3, 2014
Sometimes we do things a little backwards in my house. When my husband and I decided that we wanted ribeye steaks seared in a cast iron pan with a red wine jus, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans and wedge salads with homemade blue cheese dressing for dinner, we bought the ingredients first. Then we bought the cast iron pan, and the knives. Admittedly, this dinner took a few days to prepare. These knives were affordable, and they arrived in just a few days. Sharp and sturdy with serrated blades, they're now my go-to not only for steak, but for cutting tomatoes, and performing other quick jobs when a regular paring knife just won't do. The handles are small and ergonomically friendly, unlike those steak knives with the wide wooden handles that are awkward to use, and that tend to loosen over time. Buy these knives. You won't be disappointed.
on April 17, 2013
I was replacing a set of cheap Walmart knives that had begun breaking at the tangs in the plastic handles. I looked at every brand and price but settled on these because of the variety of the set and that the blades were part of the handle. I was very pleased with the santoku knife. It was very sharp and performed well. The rest of the knives were mediocre at best. The serrated edges were not sharp and lacked the pointed edges that would make them perform well. As others have stated the bread knife simply crushed and gummed the bread. My husband got up from the dinner table and went to get a better steak knife the first time he used them. The last straw was the rust that began to appear. They were hand washed but allowed to drip dry in a dish rack. Bad mistake. The rust was like none I have ever seen before-- thick and gummy (see picture in the product view) so back they went today. Just disgusted it will cost me $9+ to return them. Listen to the warnings and don't buy these. You will be disappointed.
review imagereview image
Oh How I Love My New Cinsu Knife Set. I Always Wanted A Set Like This !!
When I Saw The Cheap Price And The Fact I Got The Very Last Prime Set,
I Nailed This Item !!

This Set Is Really Really Sharp. So I Will Have To Be Extreamly Careful When I Use These Knives,
I Have Seen Alot Of Sharp Knives Before, But I Have Never Ever Saw A Knife Set This Sharp Ever !!

This Cinsu Knife Set Is So Well Built, I Will Have This Knife Set For Years To Come

Thanks Amazon !!