BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Wonderstruck PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 11, 2014
For the average cooking family you can't beat these knives. I could not afford the Henkels from Germany but have owned the Chicago Cutlery knives made in the USA. Difference is that the more professional knives are extremely sharp when new but will dull down after a good amount of use. Sharpening them never brings them to factory edge and finding the right sharpner is always hard and expensive.

The Ginsu knives do solve the problem of sharpening. They are not miracle knives, just a normal blade with serrations on them. Their sharpness cannot compare to new pro level knives - I would rate Ginsus a 7 out of 10 where 10 is a new pro level knife's sharpness. But the 7 rating will always stay with the Ginsu whereas a pro level knife will dull down to a 3-4 rating down the road without sharpening.

They are very durable and for the price good quality, I do not miss my Chicago Cutlery implements. I use them daily in the kitchen and they are more than adequate for family cooking. Chopping, slicing, dicing, paring, can all be achieved with the set. The steak knives are very good and will easily cut that well done sirloin. I did cut an aluminum can and it works afterwards too. Slicing tomatos thinly is a little more difficult as only the sharpest knives do the best jobs. Ginsus are good sharp not excellent.

One thing I noticed is that the serrations of the knife can cut the Ginsu knife block if you re-insert them for storage. I just turned all the knives serrations up so the back tang rests on the block - so removing and re-insertions don't cut into the block......

I recommend it - and I've owned my for over 4-5 years and they still work great. Its a good product and my hasn't fallen apart or stained after daily use. My Chicago Cutlery knives just sit in the cupboards collecting dust......
on February 19, 2015
We were looking for an inexpensive knife set and we chose this set. We understood we weren't getting a professional grade set of knives. These are Ginsu's basic set. But, someone in our household has been using our Chicago Cutlery knives to open cans, cut string, and do other tasks that make me want to pull my hair out. I decided to get this set because if the blades get ruined, it wouldn't have been a huge investment.

The full tang is essential. I have used knives without the tang extending into the handle and they are useless. I definitely prefer a wood handle compared to these Bakelite handles, but that is why these are so inexpensive. A wooden handle is more comfortable and had needed weight to the knife. Even with the full tang the balance of the chef's knife is too far forward. But this probably won't bother most people.

The blades are sharp, and as long as they stay sharp these knives will be worth the price.
on December 15, 2014
I've been using these knives since August of 2011. Overall, I've been VERY pleased with the set. The knives have not rusted and have kept their sharpness fairly well. That being said, I did sharpen them after about 2 years of use.
SUGGESTIONS:
1) Different set of shears - I trim chicken with these quite often. The plastic that runs down the blades unfortunately grabs onto little bits of raw chicken. This means cleaning them is more labor intensive since you have to pick the little pieces out and often have to scrub pretty hard to make sure they are truly clean.
2) Add pairing knives - I spend a decent amount of time chopping smaller vegetables. This set doesn't really have any smaller pairing knives. I ended up getting a 3 set of Henckel pairing knives. I swapped them out for 3 of the steak knives in my block (I mean how much steak does one man eat?)
BOTTOM LINE:
I'd definitely recommend this set with a few cheap alterations.
on September 22, 2014
Set arrived today, on time, undamaged, appropriately packaged. A few months ago I ordered a 5-piece set of Ginsu knives (block set) for use in our RV and we have been pleased. I ordered this set of steak knives notwithstanding the review complaints of rust spots forming on "stainless" blades after just a few cycles thru the dishwasher. All I can say is that we own a nice set of daily-use flat wear that has 18/10 stainless blades, and discovered rust on recent addition pieces (same name brand, same pattern, same quality stainless) as opposed to pieces acquired in the 1970's. The difference? The old pieces are stamped "made in Germany" and the newer pieces, "made in China". I'm betting that if the Ginsu steak knives are as good as the Ginsu knife block set (both made in China, not Japan) and if we wash them by hand and keep them out of the dishwasher, we will have no rust problems. Is the rust problem the heat of the dishwasher? The chemicals used in the detergent? Or the content of the stainless alloys used by Germany vs China that is the problem? I'm just saying.....
on December 6, 2015
This is the first knife set that I've ever purchased (back in October 2014), so I don't really have anything to compare it against. But being one of the cheapest sets I could spot, I picked them up. The quality, for it's cheap price point, is great. The knives are sharp, and even after a year work well. I haven't had any issue with cutting vegetables, fruits, Amazon boxes, presents, etc.

The handles feel fairly solid, though a couple of the knives have handles that don't feel well put together. This can be fixed by either placing the thumb or the index finger at the bridge of the handle and the blade itself, providing it just a tad bit more support (feels awkward holding it in 'shank' form anyhow).

After about a year of use, the scissors were completely destroyed and at least one of the blades seem to have lots its sharpness. I will say though that I have put them through the dishwasher numerous times which probably caused this to happen. Looking back, it clearly states to hand wash only, so this is my fault. I have purchased another non-set pair of scissors and it fits perfectly into the scissor slot. So all is well.

So why did it lose a star? Mainly the deal with the handles.Still though, for the price-point, you can't beat it!
Oh How I Love My New Cinsu Knife Set. I Always Wanted A Set Like This !!
When I Saw The Cheap Price And The Fact I Got The Very Last Prime Set,
I Nailed This Item !!

This Set Is Really Really Sharp. So I Will Have To Be Extreamly Careful When I Use These Knives,
I Have Seen Alot Of Sharp Knives Before, But I Have Never Ever Saw A Knife Set This Sharp Ever !!

This Cinsu Knife Set Is So Well Built, I Will Have This Knife Set For Years To Come

Thanks Amazon !!
on March 7, 2016
These are great, cost-effective knives. We like them so much that we've actually purchased them two additional times for gifts and both recipients loved them as well.

I personally usually only use the steak knives, the chef knife, and the Japanese type knife (the only one with a flat blade). I don't usually have a need for the other ones but like knowing that I have them in case I do need them.

One of my favorite things about these knives is the fact that they aren't all flat blades, which require sharpening. I've had old knives in the past go dull but these continue to stay sharp and cut perfectly. I've followed previous guidance on here and consistently dry them after I wash them and never place them in the dishwasher.
on December 4, 2014
I have owned these knives for about 6 months now and I have to say they exceeded my expectations. The price is very reasonable for the quality of the knives. They are quite sturdy as I have dropped several of these knives and have seen no damage. To address some reviewers complaints of rusting, I have no idea what they are talking about. I took the advice of many(and used common sense) and have only hand washed these knives. I have dried them right away as wells as air dried them vertically blade down and have had no problems with rusting. If you treat stainless steel poorly, you can expect to have poor results. My only wish is that they would have came with a traditional bread knife. I buy a lot of large crusty type breads and I really like the deep serrated variety of knife for this task. Overall these are a great starter set of knives, they look and feel nice and I recommend them.
on January 26, 2016
This is a very sharp knife set out of the box. I dont forsee the blades lasting for more than a year of normal use. This is a very high end brand that has made an affordable knife set. The paring knife is the weakest of all the knives in the set. It will crush soft fruit and vegetables. The meat/filet knife is great and top notch. Overall a great set of cheap knives. If buying a $200 set isnt practical for you then this is the next best option.
on December 26, 2010
I purchased these for a single, college-aged individual who cooks frequently enough for himself to need a knife set. For his age, these knives are a good starter set. I anticipate in a few years, he will have to get another set manufactured by a company like Victorinox or J.A. Henckels. For his present cooking purposes, they will work.

Overall, the set looks quite attractive. The wooden block was fairly sturdy and well-made. I don't see it tipping over easily. The knives themselves were not as industrial or heavy as the picture suggests. As you can see in the photo, one knife appears serrated and the rest of the knives follow suit. While serrated knives can be sharpened, the task is a little more complicated and time consuming than it is with a typical straight blade knife. The fact that these are serrated may be a deal breaker for some seeking to buy this set.

I tested some of the knives in the preparation of a holiday dinner and they cut beautifully. The gift recipient typically washes his knives and other cooking tools by hand but we did place one in the dish washer. The knife didn't appear as glossy as it had been prior to being placed in the dishwasher. Most professionals would likely tell you that you should not use a dishwasher to clean your knives and for this set I think that is good advice.

For those that don't use knives on a daily basis to prepare meals and/or are seeking an economical knife set, this is a good pick. For those that depend on a dish washer to wash knives and other cooking tools or have more detailed cooking regimes, I might look for another set.