Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Giovanni Maciocia
- University education: M.A. in Economics from Naples University, 1968.
- Chinese Medicine education:
Giovanni Maciocia trained at the International College of Oriental Medicine in England, graduating in 1974 as a Bachelor of Acupuncture. He has been practising acupuncture since then. In 1976, he also graduated as a medical herbalist with the National Institute of Medical Herbalists, England. In 1980, 1982 and 1987 he attended three post-graduate courses in China on acupuncture and herbal medicine at the Nanjing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine. From 1984 to 1986 he learned Chinese herbal medicine with Dr Ted Kaptchuk and he has been practising Chinese herbal medicine since then. From 1988 to 1991 he was co-director of the School of Chinese Herbal Medicine in England.
He is the author of 6 books which have been adopted as standard textbooks by many colleges all over the world: Tongue Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine (1987), The Foundations of Chinese Medicine (1989), The Practice of Chinese Medicine (1994), Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Chinese Medicine (1997), Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine (2004, The Channels of Acupuncture (2006) and the Psyche in Chinese Medicine (2008).
Giovanni Maciocia was appointed Honorary Professor by the Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in China.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Titles By Giovanni Maciocia
This highly successful textbook covers the basic theory of traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture, and discusses in detail the use of acupuncture points and the principles of treatment. The material is based on rigorous reference to ancient and modern Chinese texts, and explains the application of theory in the context of Western clinical practice. The new edition features new and updated material plus an accompanying website containing over 650 self-testing questions in a variety of formats.
- 25th Anniversary edition of the Western world’s best-selling book on Chinese medicine!
- Logical, sequential organization builds from basic theoretical concepts, through functions of individual organs, diagnosis, pathology, pattern recognition & disease categories, and the appropriate use of acupuncture points
- Clearly explains the theory and practice of Chinese Medicine to Western medical audiences
- Based on a unique and invaluable combination of extensive clinical experience in the West, current Chinese Medicine textbooks and ancient sources, in particular, the ‘Yellow Emperor’s Classic of Internal Medicine’ (Nei Jing) and the ‘Classic of Difficulties’ (Nan Jing)
- Includes Pinyin equivalents to make it immediately evident which original term is being translated
- Abundantly illustrated with over 750 line drawings and more than 1000 tables & boxes designed to emphasize the key facts
- End of chapter Learning Outcomes point out ‘must-know’ information
- A helpful colour-plate section provides valuable information for diagnosis
- Cases Studies and Case Histories apply theory to diagnosis and treatment, bringing the subject to life in a realistic context
- An extensive Glossary explains new terms and their origins from translation
- Additional Appendices list Prescriptions, Bibliography and Chinese Chronology
- Authored by Giovanni Maciocia, one of the Western world's leading subject matter experts
- An accompanying EVOLVE website provides over 650 self-testing questions and answers to help readers check their understanding of frequently complex information
- New Case Histories help ‘bring the subject to life’
- Expanded subject area coverage including new clinical guidelines and additional acupuncture point combinations
- Contains further analysis of acupuncture point actions
- Innovative guidelines aid students learning Chinese Medicine patterns
New edition of the most comprehensive Chinese Medicine Obstetrics and Gynecology textbook in the English language
World-renowned author and teacher Giovanni Maciocia gives a clear, detailed explanation of the physiology, pathology and aetiology of women's disorders in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and
adapts these to Western conditions and patients.
Seventy gynecological conditions are discussed in detail with consideration given to differentiation between conditions, the advised treatment using acupuncture and herbs, prevention and prognosis. Guidelines on lifestyle and use of the eight Extraordinary Vessels are provided, with case studies allowing easy application of theory to practice throughout.
New for this edition: New attractive two-colour layout with book marks to ease navigation Endometriosis and its treatment now included and fully covered in a new chapter Infertility chapter includes recent research highlighting factors in infertility All prescriptions now removed from the text and attractively presented in three appendices: Patient Remedies, Prescriptions and Three Treasure Remedies "Obstetrics and Gynecology in Chinese Medicine is a paradigmatic work. It is tempered with reverence and innovation, meticulous archival attention and detailed modern clinical insight. When future generations look back at this workâ€¦they will find not only knowledge and wisdom but also reasons for inspiration and awe." From the Foreword to the first edition by Ted J. Kaptchuk, Associate Director, Centre for Alternative Medicine Research, Beth Israel Hospital; Instructor in Medicine, Harvard medical School, Boston, USA.• Physiology and pathology of women’s disorders in Chinese medicine
• Aetiology and diagnosis of women’s disorders
• Differentiation and treatment – including acupuncture, herbs and patent remedies – of 64 gynecological conditions
• Prevention and prognosis for each disease
• Approximately 100 case histories from the author’s own practice
• A detailed discussion of the use of the eight extraordinary vessels in gynecology
- Comprehensive discussion of the nature of the Shen, Hun, Po, Yi and Zhi in Chinese medicine
- The first detailed description of the nature and functions of the Hun (Ethereal Soul) and how that relates to conditions such as depression, bipolar disorders and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- An entire chapter dedicated to the functions of acupuncture points in the treatment of mental-emotional disorders
- Case studies that offer realistic insights and understanding to the range of diagnostic and treatment choices the practitioner can make
- Attractive 2-colour page layout gives easy access and navigation around the text
- Provides a clinical understanding of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Offers an unparalleled depth of information that is meticulously cross-referenced
- Includes all the signs and symptoms, however subtle, that a modern patient may present in the clinic
- Provides clinical experience and understanding from a leader in the field of Chinese medicine
- Clearly outlines the decision-making options in key situations to help readers through the most challenging topics
- Logically organized so readers can quickly find the information they need in clinical situations
As part of The Energetics and Treatment of Body Areas series, Maciocia turns this approach on its head and places areas first so that everything else is subordinate to that. In The Energetics & Treatment of Body Areas – The Face, Maciocia does just that, placing the Face first and each diagnostic and therapeutic element, relevant to the face, is discussed together.
Within each of these topics, various parts of the body are discussed. For example, when studying diagnosis the subject is broken down into interrogation, observation, palpation and auscultation. Within each of these broad areas, students study the diagnostic elements of specific areas. The result is that areas become disjointed and there is nothing to connect elements of channels and points relevant to specific areas.
Giovanni Maciocia wrote The Energetics and Treatment of Body Areas – The Vertex, with the purpose to turn this attitude on its head and to place areas first so that everything else is subordinate to that. This book places the vertex first and each diagnostic and therapeutic element relevant to the vertex is discussed together.
Der BESTSELLER, wenn es um Diagnose in der TCM geht!
Detailreich und übersichtlich zeigt Ihnen dieses beliebte Werk die verschiedenen Zugänge zur richtigen Diagnose in der TCM: Befragung, Betrachtung (einschließlich Zungendiagnose) und Palpation (einschließlich Pulsdiagnose).
Nach Körperregionen strukturiert ordnet Giovanni Maciocia in 100 Kapiteln Krankheitszeichen und Symptome der chinesischen Medizin in einen schulmedizinischen Kontext ein.
Zu den jeweiligen Krankheitsbildern gibt er ausführliche Hinweise zu Therapieoptionen mit Akupunktur und klassischen chinesischen Rezepturen.
Übersichtstabellen, Fallbeispiele und viele farbige Abbildungen veranschaulichen die Anwendung in der Praxis.
Neu in der 2. Auflage:
- Vollständig überarbeitet und mit Lernzielzusammenfassung am Kapitelende
- Viele klinische Tipps aus der Praxis des Autors
- Therapieempfehlungen mit Akupunktur und chinesischen Kräutern
Erfahren Sie alles über die Theorie der TCM und der Akupunktur. In Grundlagen der chinesischen Medizin lernen Sie die verschiedenen Therapieprinzipien und den Einsatz der Akupunktur kennen.
Der Inhalt basiert auf sorgfältiger Recherche in klassischen und modernen chinesischen Texten und erklärt Ihnen die Anwendung der Theorien im Kontext der westlich-medizinischen Praxis.
Darüber hinaus: Wissen über pathologische Prozesse und pathogene Faktoren, diagnostische Hinweise (vor allem Pulsdiagnose), Bewertung der Symptome, Identifizierung von Krankheitsmustern nach den Kriterien der TCM.
Die neue Auflage mit:
- zusätzlichen zusammenfassenden Kästen und zahlrichen „Hinweisen für die Praxis"
- neuen Fallberichten für ein noch besseres Verständnis der TCM/Akupunktur
- zusätzlichen Abbildungen
- separatem Fragen-und-Antworten-Teil zur Wissensüberprüfung
Für jede Leitbahn Darstellung von Verlauf, klinische Anwendungsmöglichkeiten, klassischen Indikationen mit Zitaten aus Originalwerken, Punktbeschreibung und Anwendung am Praxisbeispiel
450 anschauliche Zeichnungen und Fließdiagramme