Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment. Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Giraffes Can't Dance
Format: Board book|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 27, 2016
I'm going to side with every other member of this book's fan club. I bought his because I have a beautiful little boy who has some very specialized challenges, and I loved the message this book sends...that you can be different, you can even not be good at certain things in other people's eyes, but there can still be something beautiful only you can contribute. And I want my son to know and to hear that message that just like Gerald the Giraffe, he's got a very special dance that he'll be able to do. And I want him to be able to see that it's possible too, because I know sometimes it can be hard, especially when you're in therapy all the time and therapy is all about what's not going well and what's not going like normal, so I truly think this book has great value especially for kiddos who may struggle to do things the way other people "normally" do. It sends a very nice "yes you can" message, and I love it.
0Comment| 156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 29, 2015
There's a reason this book is a top seller, it's adorable! I first read this book in a toddler book club when I was a nanny, I now read this book to my own children. I have read this book probably a hundred + times (not an exaggeration) and I still love it. I haven't found a child who didn't like this book, it's so cute. Great story, nice colorful illustrations. I highly recommend this book!
review imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 6, 2018
Let me start by saying that I absolutely love this book, and so does my daughter. The rhymes are lovely (except for a slight break in rhythm on the very last one), the pictures are fun and full of great detail, and the story about finding oneself and not succumbing to peer pressure and stereotypes is great and important!

However... I really think the cricket does not get enough credit! In fact, Gerald almost becomes a bit cocky in the end, as if he had achieved this feat of realizing his potential all by himself, when, in fact, without the cricket he still wouldn't believe in himself. And here I think the book misses a great opportunity to emphasize the value of friendship, empathy, and helping others.

Luckily, this can be fixed very easily. I therefore added a final rhyme to the book that I think adds to the value. I hope others may find it useful as well. It goes as follows:

Just sometimes we need a friend to help,
to find out song and tune.
And to the cricket Gerald said:
I found mine, thanks to you!

Giraffes Can't Dance is a great read that promotes confidence and positive self-esteem in children, as well as empathy and respect for people who are different. The book is about a giraffe named Gerald who wants to dance, but is continuously made fun of and shunned by other animals. He finally meets a cricket that tells him that everyone is capable of accomplishing their dreams in their own unique way. Originally, I bought this book for a pre-k class, and the kids loved it so much that we made animal masks and had our own dance party, showing off our unique dance moves. I have also bought this book for my children, and have given it as a present to several others. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

I have only purchased the board book, and it has held up very well over the past 2 years. It's about 29 pages long and very sturdy.
on August 27, 2015
I love this story, and the plush is a nice little added bonus to keep a very young child entertained while listening; however, as the other reviewer has stated, THIS IS NOT A BOARD BOOK. It is a hardcover with regular thin paper pages. Also, it's very tiny. If this were a board book, that wouldn't matter as much because of its intended purpose (very young children who handle the books themselves), but I can see that it will be a bit of a chore reading to my child with this teeny-tiny copy. Making it even more difficult, the small words overlay the pictures, which make them more difficult to see. I'll probably go ahead and purchase the full-sized version for when I read to her.
on October 27, 2017
This book is amazing, easily the favorite book in our toddler's library! Unlike other books, I never get tired of reading it over and over. On the surface, its about a giraffe dancing, but it goes so much deeper than that. It's about a giraffe who IS TOLD by others that he can't dance and is laughed off by all the animals. The giraffe gets great advice that allows him to be himself, find his own style, and not care about what others think. Suddenly the giraffe is dancing and all the other animals who had sneered are now watching him in awe. The message is to believe in yourself, do what makes you feel happy, you are amazing in your own way. The illustrations are colorful and engaging, and the rhythm/rhyme in the story make this ideal for a wide age range (infant to elementary age).
on July 16, 2017
Gerald was a tall giraffe whose neck was tall and slim...toddlers rather love him, preschoolers think he's funny, kindergartners are tired of my giraffe nonsense and wish to read something else. In all seriousness this book is great for that special 2 to 5 year old in your life, but it requires a little patience to read and a child with a focus length of at least three minutes. I know, a three minute book what is this madness you ask? Well let me tell you...if you can jazz up the book with your own motions and voice changes, this book will easily last three minutes AND as an added bonus, it's so long you probably won't have to read it several times in a row. Maybe just twice or three times. Wouldn't that be lovely?

Haha, seriously though, this is a charming little book about acceptance and who doesn't need a charming book about acceptance? Seriously. I'll wait.
on December 12, 2017
I'm a preschool teacher so I not only read a lot of books, I can tell when a book is good or not. This book is so cute and has a wonderful message at the end of the story; basically don't worry about what others think or say about you, as long as you believe in yourself and like yourself, that's all that matters. The illustrations are colorful and fun. I love stories that rhyme because children seem to sometimes enjoy the story more and this book delivers. Lastly, since becoming a parent, I can see how this being a board book can be easy to travel with in the diaper bag so that the story can be read on the go in the car or at grandma's house. Overall a great book.
on November 29, 2017
Totally adorable book about finding your rhythm when dancing to the beat of a different drum. In this sweet story, the Giraffe, Gerald, can't dance, and when all of the animals in the jungle get together for their annual dance-off, he feels bummed. A wise cricket tells him to listen to the music of nature and Gerald finds that he can dance - way better than he or anyone else expected.

My daughter and I love this book. The board book helps us keep the book nice despite rough toddler hands. The story it tells gives inspiration to those considered a bit different to not give up and to find their own rhythm.
on August 18, 2017
This is the third copy of this book I purchased! Such a fun and cute story! The first two times I ordered, I got the board books, and my most recent order was a hardcover (photos included for comparison).

Unfortunately, I can't give this particular order the five stars I'd like to. I'm not sure if it was a packaging error, or an screw-up on the seller's end, but my hardcover copy of Giraffes Can't Dance had a pretty noticeable tear in its paper cover (pictured). It wouldn't be such a big deal if I were keeping it for myself, but I had intended to give it as a gift. Thankfully, the hardcover of the book itself has the same print as the paper book cover (pictured), so I will just be throwing the cover away. Still, I am rather disappointed with the copy I received.

Product-wise, this book is a resounding five stars, I'd give it ten stars if I could! Sadly though, I was extremely disappointed in the packaging, and I hope the sellers can figure out what the issue was. I'd hate for someone to be turned off of this book, based on a poor packing and/or a ripped cover.