The Girard College Recordings
OrganArts inaugurates a series of historic recordings by various artists with a CD of Virgil Fox's first commercial recording sessions. When Fox was 29, RCA Victor recorded him on the magnificent E.M. Skinner Organ in the Chapel at Girard College, Philadelphia. He plays his arrangement of Bach's "Come, Sweet Death," Healy Willan's "Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue" (which he never recorded elsewhere), and ten more pieces he helped make famous. RCA released, on 78 rpm discs, only eight of the twelve works recorded. John Wilson has digitized all twelve pieces to inaugurate this series. Liner notes by Jonathan Ambrosino.
1. Rigaudon 2:22
2. Fugue in G minor, BWV 542 (The Great) 6:19
3. Adagio, Concerto in D minor BWV 596 4:2
4. Fugue in G minor, BWV 577 (Gigue) 3:02
5. Arioso (Cantata N. 156) 4:55
6. Trumpet Tune and Aire 3:10
7. Scherzo, Symphony N. 2 3:56
8. Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue 3:28
9. Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue 6:00
10. Introduction, Passacaglia and Fugue 4:45
11. Come, Sweet Death, BWV 478 (Arr. V. Fox) 6:27
12. Toccata in B minor 2:45
13. Claire de Lune (24 Fantasy pieces) 8:16
14. Toccata - Thou Art The Rock 4:08
This product is manufactured on demand using CD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?