|Digital List Price:||$14.99|
|Print List Price:||$14.99|
Save $6.85 (46%)
The Girl in the Gatehouse Kindle Edition
|Length: 402 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $3.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $2.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Chapter 18 of The Girl in the Gatehouse begins with an Austen quote, "I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything else than of a book!"
It is a happy thing to write a book review for Jane Austen devotee, Julie Klassen, on this, the 235th anniversary of Miss Austen's birth. Unlike Miss Austen, who received little notoriety or respect for her writing during her lifetime, Julie Klassen is a RITA and Christy Award finalist. Ms. Klassen returns a third time to expertly write about the Regency period in English history. I have great respect for her work. In her author's note, she states that the novel is peppered with Austen-like characters. Julie Klassen's love of writing and authors pervade The Girl in the Gatehouse. Women who aren't supposed to write publish anonymously. Letters are written, read and re-read. Closeted writers abound, male and female alike, producing journals, stories, "theatricals" and novels. Ms. Klassen pens an engrossing read.
Well-paced and styled, The Girl in the Gatehouse introduces us to characters we care about even when our everyday tasks force us to lay the book aside for a time. Matthew Bryant, a successful navy captain recently returned from the Napoleonic wars, leases the estate, determined to piece together his fractured past. Mariah Aubrey has a safely-guarded secret and a predilection for helping others despite being tossed out on her ear by her father. We read only hints of her indiscretion until she bravely writes her own experience into her third novel. Mariah, however, seems a bit bland and placid through most of the book and then suddenly overwrought at the end. I found it curious that she waited so long to open her aunt's chest.
Helpful discussion questions are included in the back of the book. Beautiful motifs embellish new chapter pages as well as quotes from various 18th and 19th century poets and authors, particularly women. Literature is revered in this inspirational historical fiction novel, bookended, ironically, with the phrases "the end" and "the beginning."
Highly recommended to historical fiction and literature lovers or those simply looking for an enticing read.
Reviewed by Holly Weiss, author of Crestmont
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Historical
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Mystery & Suspense
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Historical
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Romance > Mystery & Suspense
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Mystery & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Romance > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Romance > Mystery & Suspense