Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 77 reviews
Nine stories about girls who are lost in the world but find themselves as goddesses. Not in the literal meaning of Goddess, but they find that each of them are wonderful in their own way and they each have a place in the world.

This book is full of short stories about being a girl. Every type of girl. From a small girl that doesn't want to grow up, to girls that run a zine. Another great work for young girls by Francesca Lia Block. When I was introduced to her books, back when I first started reading YA, I couldn't get enough of her. She sends such a positive message in such a beautiful magical way. I love the way she uses words to craft her scenery. I enjoy this book, maybe a little less than I did when I was younger and still awakening within myself but I still appreciate it. I recommend this to any teenage girl that could use a little encouragement about being a girl.

First Line:
"In the morning, her mother helped her put on the bathing suit with the cartoon baby bird on it."

Favorite Line:
"I think about Raven and how nothing did, except that thing I said that day, and I wish more things had made her cry and I wish I could have swum just once in the sea if her mermaid tears where all the rockstars should have drowned."
on April 22, 2007
I read this book as soon as I got it and immediately felt like I'd frozen. I've been reading her books sinc I was like 12, and this was the first time I'd ever felt dissapointed.

I mean firstly I couldn't get into the story "Girl Goddess #9" because it was just plain boring. I know that this was one of her first forays into writing because of how stilted it is. How bland the writing was.

"Winnie and Cubby" Word for word of another story she recreated in an anthology that mad me like her. "Winnie and Tommy" Wow. Just wow. I liked it, but you could tell that she was reeeallly aiming for the YA audience in this book. Seemed like a YA wrote it themselves. :(

I mean I'm not a big fan of the book, but it is cute. Her euphamisms are great, the writin is solid beyond being quite cheezy...but hey lots of people like it.

I just read it in an hour and said to myself "Wow how corny." and I think the story I liked least was "Dragons in Manhattan." The story premise is good, the message not so great. But Block has a way of letting teenagers run away smoke drink and have sex, plus eat cake and get offered niceties by older people while they get their fairy tale ending. If you like that, read this book. If you want something a little more real I'd suggest:

Kiki's delivery Service. Or any oldschool "Kid's book" the writing may surprise you.
on July 7, 2002
The thing I like best about Ms.Blocks books is that she makes the unreal real.Her words come to life.The only thing I didn't like about the book was the swipe at pro lifers that 2 girls in one of her storys took.But other than that,I loved it.
on February 5, 2012
For years I have been remembering one of the stories in this book and it was driving me crazy because I couldn't remember where I read it. I started to think that I was going crazy and just made it up. After hours and hours of searching I finally found it! So Exciting!!! :D
on February 4, 2010
I'm a huge Francesca fan, but this book disappointed me a little. Some of the stories were decent but they are not her best. I would recommend reading this if you really enjoy her writing style and perhaps if you are 13-16 years old.