Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Prophets of Rage GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 163 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 274 reviews
on June 16, 2016
Probably the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. I had read John Dean's House of Evil: The Indiana Torture Slaying, which is a nonfiction telling of this case (I highly recommend this book, available on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/House-Evil-Indiana-Torture-Slaying/dp/0312946996/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466120816&sr=8-1&keywords=house+of+evil) without realizing that that this movie was based on the same crimes. The Girl Next Door is based on the torture and murder of this girl, but many details have been changed and the some events in the movie are much more disturbing than what is known to have actually happened, which was already pretty disturbing. The movie is not as gratuitous as The Human Centipede or Hostel with the torture, they don't actually show everything through to fruition, but the implications and the results that you do see, along with the fact that it is a mother encouraging her children to rape and mutilate a teenage girl that the mother tied up in the basement, and the mother herself severely mutilates the girl, is pretty disturbing.

The acting was actually pretty good considering what the actors had to do, and by the end of it, I found myself wanting to torture the mother who was responsible. She made the character just as hateable as that role needed to be. Some of the younger children did not sell their roles as well, but this is incredibly difficult material for young children to be able to perform. Overall, it is worth watching, but is definitely not something for your kids to watch.
on January 2, 2017
I have never and I mean never in my life seen a movie this disturbing. This is as real as it gets nothing over the top nothing done for shock value or to one up anyone this was all just cringe worthy there were things said and things done where I looked away or closed my eyes. This NEVER happens with me watching horror movies. But this one was acted well and was put together well and it felt real. I wasnt around for the 50's but I am so glad some things have changed this movie is a CLASSIC and I dont use that word often.
on April 29, 2017
This movie made me a Graham Patrick Martin fan. This is an incredibly tough watch though and not for kids. As good as the book, which is a rarity.
on April 2, 2013
From a lot of the reviews here (before buying) I thought this was going to be a horror movie. It isn't in the slightest. So if you're after bloody horror, move along. In fact, in terms of what you see, this movie isn't graphic. In thought it is graphic. It is horrible what is done to the girl, but you don't actual see anything.
There may be some detractors out there, but I felt it is a very poignant film, especially with our current events. The whole Sandusky affair rings a few bells. This movie has a great moral.
As for the movie it self, I feel like it was a Tv movie. It may be, I haven't researched it. There is also a lot of children actors in here, so most of the acting is bad. The main boy, and the girl are acted well.
What is done to her is awful, and it will leave you angry. However, though it's depictions aren't accurate of the real life event, I think it is important to know about these horrible acts in our society.
on March 5, 2017
Very happy
on September 14, 2010
"Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door" is a film following the book of the same name. Both the movie and book were loosely based on the infamous Gertrude Baniszewski murder of Sylvia Likens that took place in Indiana in the 1960's.

If you watch this movie, you may be under the impression that it is over the top in terms of its horrific scenes. However, if you read about the true life case, you'll see that the movie is in fact not as bad in certain instances than the actual brutality that took place. In the true case, Baniszewski and her young accomplices actually made Likens eat her own feces and used a hot sewing needle to do the branding. Amazingly enough, Baniszewski only spent 14 years in jail for the tragic crime before being paroled.

As far as the movie goes, it is excellent. The acting is superb: Blythe Auffarth does a superb job in the title role and Blanche Baker plays the diabolical murderess in outstanding fashion. Viewers will definitely feel sorry for the victim and despise the monster who did her in due to the exemplary performances. And, although the movie goes off the track of the Indiana case, it is an outstanding ally to Ketchum's fictionalized account in print. Furthermore, it is just as shocking in terms displaying the depravities humans are capable of committing.

If you can stand the horror, you'll want to check this one out. On a side note, as an alternative, you can also see Ellen Page play Likens in the more fact-based "An American Crime", another movie from 2007 (which debuted at Sundance) inspired by the same true event.
on December 31, 2009
I was very thankful that I read the reviews of other customers before I purchased the book and movie. If I had not read the reviews, nothing could have prepared me for this story of a seriously, disturbing, true crime. Which by the way, inspired me to read the book first, before I watched the movie. In my opinion reading the book is one thing, but watching the movie is entirely on a different scale. Behind a book people can block out the images. When you watch a movie there is no blocking the visions of horror. The movie Girl Next Door is the first movie I have seen that stayed true to the book, for the most part. The parts they did leave out, I was actually grateful for. For that reason I give this movie Four stars. I can't give this movie Five stars, for the fact that it was branded into my mind, enough to give anyone nightmares. Which tells you how talented the director is. I am glad that Karma played a roll in the end. It was extremely difficult to watch with out being tucked into a small ball. No one should suffer that kind of monstrous abuse, especially children. Not seeing this movie in my opinion (for my own self), was to deny this stuff happens. Although this is an extreme case, we should all be aware that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. This isn't a movie I have to watch again considering the fact, that I will never forget it. There are monsters out there and they may be living right next door to you....!
on December 27, 2015
..it was ok: the acting was predictable. the start was kind of slow, and the movie itself felt like a darker version of 'Stand By Me'. Blythe Auffart ('Meg') does an outstanding performance as the victim. Grant Show does pull off a decent portrayal of the neighbor boy next door, as does William Atherton, who portrays the same remorseful character, decades later. Very tame, as there really was no climactic build up to the story. I was expecting more psychological suspense and action. I'm betting that the book is more intriguing..
on December 21, 2016
The book was WAY better
on March 27, 2017
OMG ..... TF did I just watch.