BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment drwho drwho drwho  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 17, 2017
If I had one word to describe this book it would be underwhelming. Rachel Dratch, known to many as Debbie Downer, is probably my favorite female cast member of SNL of all time. So I was expecting to enjoy reading her book and like it more than some of the other female comedians who have come out with memoirs. Unfortunately, while I wouldn't say it's a bad book, there's just nothing really interesting about it either.

I think part of the problem is the book mainly focused on her dating life and becoming a mother in her forties. There's certainly laughs sprinkled throughout the book but as a whole the stories are not that more interesting than the average joe or jane's dating life. I say this as a compliment, Rachel seems like a very normal and likable person who you would like to have as a friend, but in terms of reading about her life outside of show biz it just doesn't make for a good read. I would have loved to read more about her time on SNL and her career. One thing I did like about the book is she did address her firing from 30 Rock so it finally puts to rest some of the crazy rumors that were circulating at the time.

So if you really love books about dating and motherhood than give this book a try. If you are looking for a hilarious celebrity memoir with a ton of behind the scenes gossip, give this book a pass.
on July 13, 2017
I pretty much stopped watching SNL after the original cast, plus Bill Murray left, but I was vaguely aware of the performers that were on for years -- especially the women. Women used to have a hard time making it in comedy and no doubt still do. (In Chicago in the early 80's, I was told by some male improvisers that as a woman, I was basically a...insert crude name for prostitute... on stage because women weren't funny, but just a necessary evil. They said we were needed for scenes every once in a while. Never did see those particular guys make it in the business, unlike the talented male improvisers who were always supportive and complimentary. They did go on to see professional success.)

Anyway, I love it when funny, smart women make it at Second City and SNL and elsewhere. Rachel Dratch is, based on this book, very smart and very funny. I enjoyed reading her memoir so much. It was like being with an old friend who you have a great rapport with and is always a lot of fun. She is a very good writer and naturally funny. She is entertaining and I loved her honesty. Loved her openness and experiences with "New Age" stuff like The Secret.The only reason I'm giving this a 4 1/2 instead of 5 stars is life after the baby kind of lost me and I skimmed. But women who've had children might love it.

Highly recommended.
on August 8, 2013
I hate when people review a book and say, "I couldn't put it down!" because 9 times out of 10 they put the book down multiple times and took several weeks to finish it. That being said, I can honestly say I couldn't put Rachel Dratch's book down. When it arrived I opened it to read the first page just to get a feel for her writing style. My husband was waiting for me to run a few errands with him at the time but he ended up doing them alone and I camped out on my comfy chair in the living room and read the entire book. Given it is on the short end, I still couldn't put the thing down and read it in just a few hours on a perfectly beautiful, sunny day that probably should have been spent being productive.

I am not a fan of Celebrity Memoirs. Most celebrities are terrible writers and have to have someone else write the thing for them. Also, most celebrities are incredibly boring people (this shouldn't surprise anyone, but will). Rachel is a comic and has been writing her own material since she was a child and I found her style very entertaining and engaging. I was drawn to her book, despite my hatred of celebrity memoirs, because Rachel doesn't pretend to be someone she isn't. Fame hasn't gone to her head, she's a normal person who just happened to be on SNL for 7 seasons and pops up in movies. She is honest and tells her story of how hard making it in show business is and "making it" doesn't mean you've made it forever - it's constant work to remain active in her field.

The first half of Rachel's book mostly revolves around how she got started in the business, her time on SNL, what really went down with her starring role on 30 Rock, and her struggles with making it in film after leaving SNL. The second half of her book is about dating and searching for love? companionship? a baby daddy? she doesn't quite know, but the journey is one she takes anyway and is full of bumps, a jekyll and hyde dog, and humorous weirdos. This part of the book was especially raw and relatable - Rachel realizes for most of her life she has prevented herself from finding love by surrounding herself with her gay friends, marrieds, and work.

I think some celebrity memoirs could get quite boring after the "juicy" showbiz part, but Rachel's got better with every page. I hope she continues to write because there's nothing like the feeling of falling in love with a book.

I realize most reviewers refer to the author by last name, but I couldn't do that here. It seems to formal for someone that writes in a way that makes her reader her friend.
on July 13, 2017
The first half is entertaining. It describes Rachel's "Moving up the ladder of success". There are genuine laughs to be had. The problem is the second half of the book. It focuses entirely on her meeting a guy, getting pregnant, wondering if the guy will stick around, doing baby showers, and then having her baby. There are a few laughs in the second half, but not enough to stave off boredom. I really loved Dratch on SNL (Saturday Night Live) and thought there would be more insights and stories she would share about her years one the show, but it's a short section.

If you've never had a baby or been around a sibling or friend that's having their first baby, you might enjoy the second half of the book.
on April 23, 2017
I've always thought Rachel Dratch was hilarious but never knew much about her or thought I needed to know a lot about her. However, this book was fun to read, and brought up some surprising stories from her.
It's not as dark as some of the other Saturday Night Live cast memoirs but it is a joy to read.
on July 1, 2012
Rachel Dratch's book "Girl Walks into a Bar..." is a light-hearted memoir that follows her adult life from her struggle to be accepted at Dartmouth, to her struggle to make it onto Saturday Night Live, to her struggle to maintain a career after her SNL stint, to her struggle to find the right guy. The girl did a lot of struggling, but in her comedic vein, her problems aren't the type that bring you down. As an unmarried woman approaching 40 myself, I found her problems to be easily relatable and universal for most women. Like her characters on SNL, Dratch is quirky and cool and fun, and as a comedian, sees the irony in many of life's situations. Ultimately, Dratch finds herself living in NYC, pregnant, and in a long distance relationship with the father whom she hardly knows. Like many things in life, it's a blessing and curse. She'd spent years suppressing her desire to have a child because she wasn't in the "right" relationship, and yet, now she's embarking on motherhood and still not in the "right" relationship-- or at least the type she imagined.

I found it to be a quick, fun read; comforting and encouraging that someone like Dratch has gone through much of the same drama we all have in our lives; and even laughed out loud a few times. Any professional woman can relate to her tales of dating horrors, motherhood concerns, and the difficulties of moving one's career to the next level.
on August 13, 2017
Wonderful read, laugh out loud! I enjoy reading about the journey other have and it's even better when it's a comedian. Rachel is honest, sincere and funny as she recounts her story and what a wonderful surprise in the end. Happily the book didn't have struggles with drugs or tragedy - Debbie Downers for sure. I laughed out loud so many times with her accounts of dating or acting roles and more, that truly is a lil vacation to my day. Thank you Rachel for writing this book! I highly recommended it to everyone.
on September 25, 2016
I had such high hopes for this book! Based on the excerpt it seemed the perfect wry, slightly-caustic humor. (Huge fan of the Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling books.) Unfortunately this one disappoints -- parts are humorous, but the writing is not very tight and most importantly, not very funny. You might smile, but you won't be laughing out loud with this book.
on December 30, 2012
For me, Rachel Dratch was always kind of the "forgotten" SNL character - ever in the shadow of the bigger stars from her day, such as Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Jimmy Fallon. I'd half-wondered what happened to her, and this book was the delightful answer to my question. Now in her mid-40s, she talks about her happy childhood and her angsty college and adulthood years - angst eased only by her connection with like-minded comedy souls. She discusses her time on SNL and the personal and professional drought that followed - to be broken by a very surprise pregnancy at age 42.
I did find parts of the book slightly depressing, no doubt because these parts discussed the times in her life when she was slightly depressed. In general, this book was entertaining and made me care very much about the author, so much so that I google her once a month or so to see how she is doing.
on April 13, 2015
I read Bossypants and Yes Please first. I enjoyed them both a lot. What I have decided is that Rachel Dratch is simply a better writer. I found this book very hard to put down, not because I new what was coming based on her celebrity, but because she tells her story in a very compelling and entertaining way. Meow.