Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.99

Showing 1-10 of 304 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 583 reviews
on October 4, 2016
This book is a series of sketches linked together by various characters. I like this technique. I enjoyed many of the sketches, but some of them seemed to fall flat. I must note that the women in this book are lacking in self-esteem, and seem awfully weak in an age where we supposedly admire "strong" women. I also wonder where they went to college, since all they seem to do is drink together. The author seems to think that is cute.
on April 6, 2017
Most women in their 20s can probably relate to this book. Weird dates, messed up relationships, weddings, babies, existential dread.....all things we've dealt with.

Pretty good story, easy read, the ending came a little quicker than I anticipated but still a good read.
on September 20, 2016
this book might resonate with readers in their early 20s, just out of college. the characters are flat and the stories read like a list of things happening, not a novel. i won't finish it.
on March 1, 2017
This is actually my second time reading this. I forgot I had read this before because it doesn't really leave a lasting impression.

There's no real storyline just a bunch of girls, dating, getting married and attending their friend's weddings that's it
on March 1, 2017
Kept waiting for a distinct plot, but until the last two chapters it just bounced from character to character very loosely.
on August 24, 2011
"Girls in White Dresses" follows a group of friends through their "freshman year of life" and beyond, to borrow a phrase from J. Courtney Sullivan's "Commencement." I don't mean to draw unnecessary parallels, especially since Sullivan wrote the featured editorial review on this novel, but I can't help but compare the two - especially because Sullivan's debut novel is so much stronger.

Some of the situations are relatable and touching (an ill-advised ski trip with a new boyfriend and his friends, a tipsy lunch with a despised college acquaintance), but the characters are so bland and forgettable that I repeatedly found myself wondering "Wait, which one is Lauren?" The women are so interchangeable that it was hard for me to feel particularly invested in any one story/career/relationship.

Given the press this novel has received, I guess I was expecting a much more compelling novel.
22 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2011
I'm surprised by the reviewer who expected "sharper" writing -- pretty sure if the writing in this book was any sharper, it would be dangerous to hold.

That reviewer called the book a "fast" read, so let me fill you in on what he or she must have accidentally sped past. "Girls" isn't a tribute to friendship -- it literally IS friendship. It's the entire experience -- awkwardly getting to know each other, laughing until you can't breathe, daring to confront each other about horrible boyfriends, telling each other everything's okay even when you're not sure it's the truth -- in bound, paste-and-paper form.

As I read this book, I cheered for the characters, delighted in their inside jokes and cringed at their mistakes. But mostly, I just felt thankful for my friends. And I felt thankful to Close for paying tribute to the truth we took for granted as we stressed over jobs and boys and how to start our lives: that none of it was really all that bad, because we still had each other.
on August 17, 2011
I too waited for the book to be released after reading the reviews. It's almost like this book was written by a teenager. There was no flow at all between characters. Once page you would be reading about one person and then the next, somebody different. It was like she put 6 partially completed books and glued them together. I am not interested in reading anymore from this author, if this is the kind of work I can expect.
on August 12, 2011
After reading the Amazon review I couldn't wait to read this book. I eagerly awaited it to hit the shelves so I could purchase it on my kindle. It started out okay, I could see some of my old friendships in a few of these characters. But the book just drug on and on and on.... I kept waiting for something really exciting to happen but it never did. I believe the Amazon reviewer said she couldn't put the book down and was awake until 4am. Really?! Because I think the only reason to be awake at 4 am reading this book, is if the book was actually written about you. Seriously, this book needs more substance. I would not recommend this book to my friends, but if you are really set on reading it go check it out from the library for free.
77 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2012
This book is supposedly about four (maybe 4?) friends, but I would often highlight a name to see if she had been in the book already. I still don't know who the main four (are there four?) characters are or their distinct personalities. I did not realize until almost halfway through that the same characters were throughout. It is a very dull and somewhat depressing book that makes relationships seem like they will go nowhere. I don't recall laughing one time during book, or crying either. It was blah.