BCA Month Salon Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 21, 2015
ok
on April 15, 2014
This is a great ska playlist. If your in the mood for a bunch of different kinds of ska this is a great album.
on December 16, 1998
Tim and Brett have outdone themselves! I don't know how they did it but somehow they managed to round up the very best ska and punk bands out there for Hellcat Records (which has the same distribution as Epitaph so hopefully some of these deserving bands will start getting some international credit!) I don't like every song but I like the majority of them, which in and of itself is really rare for me - I usually don't like compilations at all. More importantly, some of these songs absolutely rock. Hepcat have got the sweet trad ska sound down pat; classic oi-sters The Business and Boston pub-punks Dropkick Murphys (I love that name) make fast and explosive contributions; Rancid of course gets things off to a spectacular beginning with the bleak but booming The Brothels. Also check out The Gadgits and the Swingin' Utters for some quality music that makes all that lame recycled alterna-pop-rock Matchbox 20 junk on the radio sound like the sewage that it is. Forget the punk-revival, forget the ska-revival, forget the music industry's fickle trends - this is where the music industry *should* be at, even if they're too stupid to realize it!
And at a mere 6 bucks.... you just don't have any excuse for not owning this.
on March 5, 2001
This is just so amazing - the first sampler from Tim Armstrong and Epi-guru Brett Gurewitz's side-label, Hellcat. Featuring mainly ska and '77-style punk, you'll recognise Rancid, Voodoo Glow Skulls and Swingin Utters, all turning in fine songs, along with newer bands such as the Gadjits, an awesome Hammond-driven ska three-piece. Although Hellcat are distributed by Eptiaph, nothing here sounds like NOFX/Ten Foot Pole punk, so some may be a little disappointed (although for £4 you can't really complain). The are some awesome songs here from Hepcat (classic dancehall ska), the Pietasters (prime Northern Soul), utter legends the Skatalites, and the Slackers and Stubborn All-Stars very own David Hillard and his Rocksteady Seven, with the awesome 'Playtime'. The different styles on this album flow superbly, with the Utter's fantastic 'Fifteenth and T' flowing beautifully into the laidback ska of the Skatalites. Oh, just buy it.
on May 21, 2004
As we all know that Hellcat records is owned and runned by Lars from Rancid. Well being a punk, I know that right now, all that is considered 'punk' is either A)This main-stream crap which sucks badly or B)All these emo and hardcore/metal bands appearing in the underground right now. So being a dude waiting for some new punk band to change everything in the punk genre...they havent made it.
So for these past few weeks I have been I've been looking over some ska-punk and punk-ska bands. So I thought, I'll look into real ska bands....let me tell there are literally thousands of them out there waiting for some dude/dudette to be favored by. I had no clue where to start on picking out albums to buy. So most people look into comps for samples. And then I came across this little prize of joy.
Give 'Em The Boot Vol. 1 is probably the best ska comp that includes awesome punk bands too. Though the first track by Rancid wasn't their best. When the Slackers came on with 'Watch This' I felt so relaxed. When Hepcat's 'Dont Wait' came on I was already singing along. By the time The Pietasters 'New Breed' was playing I was up dancing. I won't list the other bands and songs, but most punks and people only hear about bands like Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Operation Ivy, and The Suicide Machines. Though, those bands are considered to be the only good ones, screw you! There are tons better ones. Plus, all those bands have sold out or lost almost all the orginal members.
But over-all kids, stop listeing to the things considered punk(as in sell-outs or emo/hardcore bands)get your soul out there and be a rude boy. So if wanna get to know good ska bands buy this CHEAP cd!
on January 7, 2004
(For those of you unfamiliar with the Give 'em the boot series, it is a sampler series of bands on the Hellcat Records label. The label has an eclectic mix of punk/hardcore bands and ska/reggae/dub bands)
Now that that's out of the way...
Here's the deal:
1. With the possible exception of Rancid and Choking Victim, the punk bands on Hellcat Records suck. It's boring, unoriginal, and not even that aggressive.
2. The ska/reggae/dub bands, however, are EXCELLENT and amazing. It's very mellow and relaxing, yet very exciting and catchy. It should have you dancing along in no time.
3. Of the 3 titles in the give 'em the boot series, the 1st one (this one) has the least punk and the most ska.
4. Therefore, this is the best Give 'em the boot by FAR and with its dirt cheap price, you have no excuse for not owning it if you consider yourself a fan of ska in any way, shape, or form.
on April 21, 2001
Wow! Bought this album just two weeks ago, and its stayed in my cd tray! I'd already been listening to several bands put out on the Hellcat label (U.S..Bombs, Dropkick Murphys, Rancid) so I figured this would let me in on a few more Hellcat bands. Hellcat has quickly become my music label of choice. They're putting out the very best in punk and ska of anyone- none of that mass-market user-friendly pop-punk junk you hear so much of today! If you want to hear real punk rock n' roll, better get ya' some Hellcat albums fast!
on November 1, 2005
I can't speak with authority as to the styles of music on this compilation because I don't listen to a lot of it. The only band on this CD I'm familiar with is Dropkick Murphys, but I bought it to try something different and for the most part enjoyed it. Not every song is a keeper, but most are good to listen to. I liked the Murphys song as well as the ones by Hepcat, The Business, Voodoo Glow Skulls and Swingin' Utters. There is a nice mix of punk and ska and I'm sure other styles I don't know the terminology for. It's a strong compilation and a good way to try out new bands and new musical styles.
on June 23, 1998
This compilation was put out by Hellcat Records (the label of the guys from Rancid) and is filled with great ska bands and tunes. It has become one of my favorite disks of 1997. Check out Brothels and Jaks for some great ska-core, and Latin Goes Ska for some good old school stuff. This is where I first heard the Pietasters (New Breed) and immediately rushed out to buy their newest release. For about $5.00 you can't go wrong with this (plus you get a nifty Hellcat poster).
on September 15, 2002
This is, in my opinion, the best of the series so far. I say that because it suits my tastes more, but the other two are outstanding. But this one fits like a glove. The music is less hardcore than the other two, but still the songs have an intensity and a vitality that few compilations can maintain throughout the collection. The order of the songs flows...it is obviously a labor of love for the music. It hasn't been far from my cd player for five years...that is saying something.