Workplace Solutions Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Gift with Purchase Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Deals on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(2 star, verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 27, 2013
it's not a badly written book, it's just not anywhere near the billing it received as a page-turner, gripping memoir, or any other description that makes it sound like it's a plot driven account of the author's experience with a stalker. If one wants to know more about the author's relationship with his father, the literary influences who shaped his career, or how he navigates the issues he has with his own Jewish heritage, it's a good read. However, if it's a story that has a defined beginning, middle and end concerning his entanglement with a lunatic, then just pass. I found that every time he would write something along the line of '...let me take you back for a minute...' I could just skip the next 30-50 pages because it would be something unrelated to the reason I bought the book in the first place (this happened more than a few times).
on May 11, 2013
This book fails to chronicle the experience of being stalked in any dramatic or gripping way as the title seems to promise. The author's psychological assessment of his stalker falls flat and then veers off in many other directions, including myth, allegory, travelogue and personal history. A great deal of it could have been left out or replaced with more salient material. I was bored and dissatisfied with so many tangents and feel he missed an opportunity to communicate the stalking phenomenon far more effectively. Browse this book carefully before buying.
on May 4, 2013
Once this book delved into the Israel conflict it completely lost me. It also felt incomplete. She is apparently still out there stalking.
on November 9, 2016
While the premise is fascinating in a "can't look away" way, there is no resolution, no true end to the story. The author is helpless and continues to be so.
The book meanders on to all sorts of, to me, unnecessary topics, and it smacks of padding.
I was exasperated by the end of the book, and wanted to ask "have you not thought of changing your email address?"
on May 31, 2013
To be fair, I did not finish the book so my comment may be tainted. However, I found it a bit foolhardy to encourage this woman by continuing communications in view of the many very bright red flags in her writings. While I found it intriguing initially, I reached a point where I had no desire to read on.
on May 27, 2013
I like the part in which it describes the girl’s behaviour accusing him. It describes very well how crazy and manipulative people can be. How unfair and selfish and abusive people can be. He was kind of naïf helping her and at the beginning a bit selfish cultivating his ego.
What I don’t like of the book is when he tries to explain to himself why all this is happening to him and starts talking about religion and psychology and many other subjects I couldn’t follow.
on February 15, 2015
I realize this is a true story so I know he can't fluff it too much but I was a bit bored and honestly not compelled to finish it.
on June 16, 2013
This book is more of a trip memoir then a book about stalking. I thought it was boring and disappointing, and was irritated that I spent money on it.
on May 24, 2013
Yes, the answer is "yes." Lasdun is a very fine writer, but if this book is meant to be his account of being stalked by a crazy woman, he does a poor job of it. Some of the book is about that, but most of it falls into the category of (albeit highly intellectual) free association about D. H. Lawrence, Sir Gawain, and a voyage to Israel that makes, if I may make so bold, no freaking sense and advances the stalking story not one wit.

I have no doubt that he was stalked (and, apparently, continues to be stalked) by this nut, whom he actually never outs by name. He includes samples of her emails to prove the harassment. In laborious detail, he describes his suffering, mental anguish, anxiety, and an incident where he yells at some unknown British tourist because he had left his coffee cup on a cafe table when leaving and Lasdun lost it because he was so stressed by the unceasing emails from the nut job.

Lasdun not once describes the stalking experience from his wife's point of view, which I take as a sign of extreme narcissism or complete oblivion as to the state of his spouse. I also find his complete passivity quite interesting. I can assure Mr. Lasdun and anyone else who cares to listen, that if some crazy woman were causing me as much grief as he claims to be suffering, I would have dealt with her lickety split and to my complete satisfaction.

In short, I have a few words of advice from this author. Stop complaining and grow a pair. Take the fight to her and let her suffer instead of you and your family. Hire someone, if you must, to act for you. But put a stop to it. And apologize to your wife for letting this disaster occur in the first place. Idiot.
on February 26, 2013
I am yet another reader who regrets this purchase, although I had high hopes and wanted very much to enjoy the book. I thought I was buying a memoir about a man who was cyber stalked; instead, I bought something that reads like a comparative literature textbook. By page 75, I found myself skipping over the lengthy dissertations attempting to compare what the author was feeling to Lady MacBeth's speeches, D.H. Lawrence, Sir Gawain, etc., and reading only the factual information about the stalking and its impact on the author. I own a bookstore and have the good fortune to read a lot of really compelling memoirs. Slogging through this one was downright painful. It gets two stars from me rather than one because the portions of the book that were factual were adequately written.