Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

on October 15, 2017
I like R.F. Delderfield, but sometimes he goes on and on. This book would have been better if it were 1/3 the length. The third book in the Swann Family Saga, by the time were down to grandkids and greatgrandkids, I had trouble telling them apart. At the heart were Henrietta and Adam Swann, founder of an transportation empire and parents of several children, whose number escapes me at the moment, except to say there were too many of them. By the time of this book, we have gone through their marriages and offspring, until my head is reeling.
on January 13, 2015
This is the last of the three books in the series. Adam, the founder of the haulage business has seen his carriage and horses give way to motorized transport at the time of well known people for example, Daimler. Henrietta has seen her family reach maturity and grandchildren grow to adulthood. Both Adan and Henrietta have reached retirement age although Adam returns to his business when he is over 70 years old. I have laughed and cried with the characters in the books, and the trials they have gone through. There is a wealth of history between the pages of this series and this last book does not disappoint. Now to read more of Mr Delderfied's books. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
on July 23, 2017
A richly rewarding journey into the Edwardian Afternoon. The author always paints a rich and detailed portrait of England and the diverse people that populated her at the turn of the twentieth century. A satisfying finish to the saga.
on May 2, 2013
I found this final book in the "God is an Englishman" saga to be a bit slower than its predecessors. Delderfield also throws in a number of deaths near the end of the book that almost feel forced. We only really feel the fallout from one of them. In this final book in the series, the author seems to have lost interest in his female characters and deals with them in a mostly cursory manner. Patriarch Adam Swann is intelligent, innovative and progressive, yet the wife he chooses isn't particularly bright and their relationship throughout is primarily a physical one. Still, all of that aside, "Give Us This Day" is a satisfying-enough conclusion to an excellent series.
on January 8, 2017
I learned so much about the era of Adam Swann in this trilogy. Any times, by the third book, the author has spent his/her best and it is merely a post script. Not so with this final book about the Swann family. It is the senior years of the patriarch, but not boring. As in all families, there are those who have wisdom and integrity, while other members bump and bang throughout life. This is what makes this story so real. I almost feel I could go to Wikipedia and find the history recorded about Swann-On-Wheels.
on November 7, 2012
I read Give Us This Day (God Is an Englishman) by R. F. Delderfield recently and really enjoyed it. This is the 3rd book of this trilogy and I was totally addicted to them for a month or so, reading them in order. Great stories and you really get the feel of the times. These are not only sagas about a family but really about Great Britain as a whole and the progress of thought concerning human rights, individual responsibility, morality, success and money.

This book follows Adam and Henrietta Swann, the central characters in the first and second books, who epitomize the age of industry. The story also includes interesting portraits of their children as they reach adulthood, marry and are individually launched to various reaches of the British Empire. Great characters and totally enjoyable reading. The book covers the beginning of the age of the automobile and the end of Victoria's rule. It foreshadows the tragedy of Work War I (The Great War) and accurately depicts why so few saw the magnitude of that horrible conflict as it initially started. The author is a gifted historian and the writing is both warm and academic. He uses very precise (and now antiquated) language of that era of history that adds a rich element to his style. It was great to read this on my Kindle so that I could get definitions as I read along with minimal interruption.
on July 12, 2012
Having read the first two books in this series, I was eager to tackle the last of the three. Even though it was sometimes difficult to keep up with the many characters involved, overall I enjoyed finding out the fate of various members of the Swann family. My only complaint about the book (and the first two) was the long and drawn out descriptions of the English countryside and detailed descriptions of wagons and shipping. It was much more entertaining when it dealt with the characters in the book. I also liked the way it used the history of England in the Swann family saga.
on February 20, 2015
I bought this trilogy for a dear friend, a native of England, who had never read them. Every Englishman or anyone who admires the strength that seems to be inherent in the British, should read these books by Delderfield.

As for myself, I read them back in the 1970s and absolutely adored the character of Adam Swann. His character was so unforgettable that it has stayed with me lo these many years. Without a doubt, the first book - the one with the title that tells so much about our stalwart friends, the Brits - is far and away the best of the three and, as I recall, is difficult to put down. A lover of period-style novels can't go wrong with this read.
on September 2, 2014
There is no fiction written like this saga in today's times. The "God is an Englishman" series is so rich in history, geography, family and most of all wisdom. I suppose that the cities and towns of Britain that are referred to extensively can get tedious but that is a small price to pay for the remarkable insight into human nature and the astounding relevance to our own changing times. I loved these books as a young girl and find even more value in them now.
on March 23, 2014
Having read the previous 2 volumes, I had to see what happened to the characters in the final book, which ends at WW I. A terrific story, rich with social, business and political history. Makes the reader feel they actually lived during this era. This trilogy is unique because it combines the story of a family, a business, and a country. The research needed to write this saga would have been enormous. It describes the impact of the first automobiles on the family transport business, for example. Highly recommended for anyone interested in life in Victorian England.