Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Glee: The Music, Journey To Regionals
Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 2, 2011
From the very moment I saw just the preview for this episode, I had goosebumps from hearing Lea's voice on Faithfully. I've always loved Journey's (The band.) songs, but more for their song writing prowess than for their vocals. Don't get me wrong, they always sound great... But as Ryan Murphy said of Lea Michele, 'She has a once in a generation voice'. Some of the songs on this EP are my all time favorites on the show, and now I share my opinion of them with you...

1). A++ - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) and Cory Monteith (Finn) - Faithfully - This is probably my all time favorite ballad on the show. The power of the backing Glee cast, and Lea's soaring vocal acrobatics, they all combine to make something that almost breaks my heart every time. One of the best and most powerful songs, emotionally speaking, that Glee has ever done.

2). A+ - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Amber Riley (Mercedes), Cory Monteith (Finn), Mark Salling (Puck), and Glee Cast - Any Way You Want It/Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' - Another of my all time favorite Glee performances, and a Mash-Up no less! Vocally, it's as amazing as almost anything I've ever heard. And you should see them do it live!

3). A+ - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Amber Riley (Mercedes), Cory Monteith (Finn), Naya Rivera (Santana), Mark Salling (Puck), Chris Colfer (Kurt), and Glee Cast - I'd have guessed that nothing would ever quite top the magic that hearing Glee's version of Don't Stop Believin' for the very time evoked. And when I read that they were, within the same year even, redoing it for Regionals, I was a little disappointed. And then Naya sang. And not long after that, Amber Riley caused the entire audience to go deaf with that ending crescendo. LOL You MUST look up this song on YouTube, specifically their performance of it on X-Factor over in England. It's EPIC.

4). A - Jonathan Groff (Jesse) and Vocal Adrenaline - Bohemian Rhapsody - This song is one of the most amazing pieces of work that Glee has ever done. The song itself, just listening to it, is great. They do honor to a true classic. But the real power of the Rhapsody comes from watching the performance on the show. It was Vocal Adrenaline, so come on... we KNEW they were gonna bring it. LOL And bring it they did. The dance number that goes with the song is masterwork choreography that you have to see to believe. YouTube it...

5). A - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Amber Riley (Mercedes), Chris Colfer (Kurt), Kevin McHale (Artie), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina), Naya Rivera (Santana), and Glee Cast - To Sir, With Love - The best thing about Glee is that almost every single song is incorporated into the plot, and has meaning or makes a point, or, more often than not, is used to crush us emotionally. LOL This is one such song. I couldn't keep a dry eye when the kids were all singing this song to Mr. Shue.

6). B+ - Matthew Morrison (Mr. Shue) and Mark Salling (Puck) - Over The Rainbow - This is my least favorite song on the EP, and it STILL gets a B+... I'm actually of Hawaiin descent, so imagine what a nice surprise it was to see a Ukulele used in such a unique and creative way.

So okay, that was my two cents worth on the all too short but also INCREDIBLY powerful EP that is Glee: The Music, Journey To Regionals. I give this EP, EASILY, a grade of 5 stars and above. They don't have anything past that, so all I can say is 10.5 out of 11, or A++! There was only one song that wasn't an easy A grade, but the rest of the songs easily make up for that fact. If you're a first time listener who just happened to catch a song or two here and there, then you're in for a treat. If you liked the original of ANY of these songs, there's a good chance you will enjoy the same songs with the 'Glee Treatment'. Give it a try folks, along with the other Volumes as well. (Glee: The Music, Volume 1 Glee: The Music, Volume 2 Glee: The Music, Volume 3 Showstoppers (Deluxe) Glee: The Music, The Power of Madonna) They are truly great albums, and I don't think you'll be disappointed with this one, or any of those either.
Thanks for your time folks.
Sincerely, R.A. McDowell
on November 23, 2010
Okay, I'm not even going to get into how ridiculously in love with `Glee' (the show) I am, since that is not the point of this review (or is it). I mean, it has its flaws (at times a lot of them) but it is so consistently enjoyable that it really doesn't matter.

Like I said; I'm not even going to get into that right now.

`Glee: The Music, Journey to Regionals' is a nice little tidbit of what this show is all about. If there is any complaint I have with the music from `Glee' (and I'll probably express this often in these reviews) is that they strayed away from the completely `gleed' up formula used in the series opening episode. What I mean is that they left the idea of vocal instrumentation (listen to the glorious acapella opening to `Don't Stop Believing') and waltzed into simply covering popular songs. That said; being a fan of the show will make these albums special because you can feel the scenes from which these tracks are stripped from.

The version of `Don't Stop Believing' provided here is nice because is allows Chris Colfer to get some attention too. He has a stunning voice (very effeminate but fittingly so) and I always enjoy it when he gets to show it off (although he makes some of the most unattractive faces when he sings). Second best here is `Over the Rainbow', which also takes the wise course of vocal harmonizing to make it feel more `gleeful', if you get my drift. The vocals are all stunningly in tune with one another, and the song itself is so beautiful when stripped down in this manner. It is also one of Matthew Morrison's best vocals (I often find him too desperate).

Touching.

It is no secret that Lea Michele is the shows biggest star and biggest voice and she really has one of the best voices I've heard, period. When she is allowed to take center stage the music soars.

I love the way they make Journey relevant. Even though they don't do a lot to switch things up, their take on `Faithfully' is beautifully faithful to the original. It doesn't hurt that the original is one of my favorite songs ever and possibly my favorite Journey song ever recorded. Lea Michele and Cory Monteith duet with ease, and Monteith (who is not the most gifted vocally) washes up nicely on these studio recordings. While I'm not completely into these `mashups' they do on the show, I must admit that I like this one. `Anyway You Want It' and `Lovin Touchin Squeezin' are fun songs that complement one another and add some spice to this EP.

I really don't care for `To Sir With Love' despite the intimate appeal and the fact that the entire `Glee' cast gets a chance to take center stage (sort of). Maybe it's just my feelings on the song itself. I'm just not a fan of it.

The big moment on the `Regionals' episode was the performance of `Bohemian Rhapsody' by the clubs biggest rivals, and it doesn't disappoint here. Jonathan Groff has a stellar voice, and his personality and stage presence, while not visible here, bleed through every word. It's a great cover of a great song and it does it total justice and while it doesn't switch things up very much, it manages to feel like a theatrical production (well, the original had that beautiful quality as well, which makes it primed and ready for this particular show).

So, I recommend this album (and basically them all). The show is a total guilt pleasure that I don't feel any guilt for indulging in, and the more work days spent with these albums blaring in my headphones the better!
on September 27, 2010
Not having my fill of the performances that grace each episode of this clever and joyful feeling tv-show, this short, but rather entertaining album delivers the goods. Despite the inclusion of a few Journey songs which set the tone of the series ('Don't Stop Believin'), my favorite is an unlikely one, 'Over The Rainbow', from the classic 1939 film 'Wizard Of Oz'. This version gives new life to the classic. 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is the most adventurous track here, and is very faithful to the original. 'To Sir With Love' rivals the Lulu version very much so.
A show packed with humor, energy, and talent, this, among the other Glee cd releases are a must-have. Not just for the sake of these songs coming from the show itself, but sung by capable singers who bring a new edge to these classics.
on June 29, 2011
I had no intention of spending my time reviewing this purchase until my jaw literally dropped at how poorly one of the tracks was mixed. Say what you will about the updated covers, but a review of each mix is in order. For reference I listen to music on what is considered high-end equipment, I also popped the disk into a multi-sub/10 speaker high end car stereo, and some cheapish klipsch earbuds for comparison. I hope this review will help someone esp. if they're trying to decide between the cd vs. mp3's purchase. This will be a technical review of the tracks and when I say `mix' I'm solely referring to the sound quality, not the structure, tempo, ect. to the songs vs. their originals -

1) Faithfully - Good mix on vocals and instruments. A bit bass heavy.

2) Any way / Lovin - Great levels on vocals, background instruments have some loss of fidelity in some areas specifically on the high end.

3) Don't Stop Believin' - Incredible mix. This is the song most probably buy the cd for so I'm glad it received the most attention. Highest quality, best equipment available was used. Definitely not an mp3 buy if you have good equipment.

It should be obvious that these first songs were where the money went. Incidentally they were all mixed by the same publisher. Now onto the rest ->

4) Bohemian Rhapsody - Terrible mix! First thing I noticed right off was the low pass filter on the singers (Jesse) voice. At first I thought something was wrong with my stereo it was so noticeable when his vocals came in. Maybe they tried to cover for his weak voice, but that doesn't excuse the second half of the song when the `heavy' part hits - When the song is supposed to hit it's peak at about 4 minutes, you're slammed with compression and over-drive distortion! Totally inexcusable! It sounds like a garage band recording! Please, pop in an old recording of your friends garage band and prove me wrong!
The song does sound passable with earbuds, but only because they don't have the extreme fidelity to hear the problems. But if you listen closely even on your earbuds, you'll find that they've over-driven the sound so much that it begins to distort even at low volume! This song wasn't finished, it's the motivation for this review, and it simply shouldn't have been included.

5) To Sir, with Love - I had never heard this song before, and thought maybe they were trying for an old style sound. A low pass filter was applied over the whole song, or they cranked the bass track way too high.

6) Over the Rainbow - Decent, but that's not saying much considering the song consists of some light singing and an acoustic guitar. At least they didn't destroy it like the other two.

There you have it! For those curious; the publishers of the first three (good) songs were `Weed High Nightmare Music' and `Lacey Boulevard Music'. I think it's worth checking the other Glee cd's for these publishers for future purchases.
on March 22, 2017
wish I could use it more but it only with the amazone lunlimited thing.
on July 20, 2016
I bought this as a gift for my wife because she is a big fan of the show. She loved the music on this CD.
on July 13, 2010
I love the Glee music as much as I love the show. It is great to exercise to. Usually the arrangements are longer than the ones used on the show making the experience more complete. The songs capture the personalities of the cast, and a mental picture appears immediately. I especially love Bohemian Rhapsody and agree with the critics that the opponent chorus got the best song. The combination of fast and slow numbers are perfect. It is true the Cd might have been combined with another short CD, but I put them all on my MP3 player anyway. I highly recommend this CD. I bought it at Amazon because it was the only place I found it. Neither Target nor my local music store carried it.
on January 24, 2017
my wife loves the show watches it a lot
on December 8, 2014
It's another Glee album. Excellent if you like Glee. And, since I have purchased all of the Glee CD's I would highly recommend it.
on January 2, 2015
Great covers of popular songs from multiple genres, some better then the originals from the TV series of the same name