Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Glimpse Inside The Mind Of Charles Swan III [Blu-ray]
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on January 22, 2013
This movie made me snicker and giggle from start to finish. These are polished actors playing themselves in a surreal world of noire Hollywood. It has such balance to the oddity and amusement. A touch of Coppola, even some Woody Allen perhaps in the story, but definitely Apocalyptic. It is certainly darkly hilarious and odd, tight tennis shorts and all. Pleasing to the eyes in an play-brite neon sort of way. The music is wonderful in how it sets its own scene. I bet you could watch this blindfolded and still understand the tribulations of the lead character.

If you're a quirky customer who enjoys the more cerebral and polished of Hollywood's comedy world, this movie is going to be for you!
on May 31, 2013
I really can not say how much I couldn't stand this movie. I'm sorry but I have grown weary of writers and directors who think that they can paint themselves as artists by making an incoherent movie with characters no one cares about that flows free form from one scene to the next in an attempt to be different. You're not different you're just bad.

The basic premise here is Charles Swan III (portrayed by Charlie Sheen copying his performances from TWO AND A HALF MEN and ANGER MANAGEMENT) stars as a man in love with a woman who leaves him when she discovers he has a drawer filled with Polaroid pictures of past conquests. Why he feels the need to keep these around in such an open area who knows. Distraught at her leaving he attempts to drive after her, wrecks his car and ends up in the hospital.

From here the movie goes every which way it can. It moves backward and forward in time, it moves into the surreal world of Charles's mind, it bring in characters just made for cameos and it goes nowhere fast. Some reviews of this film have called it genius and others have called it one of the worst films ever made. I tend to fall in the latter group.

I found it difficult just to get through a large portion of this film let alone from beginning to end. I'll be the first to admit I never got there. Something inside of me said that there were better things in this world I could be doing than watching this piece of manure posing as art. Movies like this do little but make me angry when I read about other films that have lingered on shelves for years that sounded good but never got made. Then I realize that someone gave the people behind this movie money to make it and I think why this and not that?

The film was written/directed by Roman Coppola who co-wrote THE DARJEELING LIMITED and MOONRISE KINGDOM with director Wes Anderson. I've never been a huge fan of Anderson for many of the reasons this film didn't work, but at least I've been entertained by them in one way or another. This movie feels like it was made by a fanboy of Anderson's who wanted to show he could make just as quirky a film. Instead it falls flat on its face offering a boring film that makes no sense and is difficult to watch let alone enjoy.

Don't let the cover fool you. Names like Charlie Sheen, Bill Murray, Patricia Arquette and Jason Schwartzman may be listed in the credits but I could only believe they did this movie as a favor to Coppola. They would have done him a bigger favor by telling him that yes indeed; the king wasn't wearing any clothes.
on January 23, 2013
A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan is a quirky independent film that is very colorful but lacks the emotional connection with its characters that I think the director was looking for. The movie is entertaining and very fun in spots but overall falls somewhat flat. Charlie Sheen is actually very good as the womanizing and troubled Charles Swan but the rest of the cast really didn't have to much to work with. I feel this really could have been a gem but just does not get there. I did enjoy watching it though and the movie is very entertaining just don't expect too much.
on May 22, 2013
I like Coppola movies and I like the way the cast works but this just doesn't come across well. The sound track is out of sync with the story and there is some very poor crash cuts that gives the story a choppy feeling. I think some of the story may parallel Billy Murry's actual life, but without the happy ending. Charley and Jason do a good job, but it just doesn't ignite like some other films that Murry and Schwartzman have made like the Life Aquatic or Rushmore; different direction I know, but that's what I was expecting. I watched it three times and only during the third time did it come close to clicking. I'm sure they all have more good stories left in them to put down on film.
on April 23, 2014
Sorry I did not get it. What a waste of great talents...I was so looking forward to dark horse cult flic but instead I got a vacuous cavalcade of Sheenisms. How did the family allow Roman to get away with such an immature exercise? Could i just add that the music was simply atrocious and I can't believe it wasn't a purposeful joke!
on May 13, 2013
I held my breath until the release date for this film. Love at first trailer site!

HOw could you possibly go wrong when you have SHeen, Swartzman and add the man - Bill Murray on top of it all. It's pure gold!

Funny, great, sexy, and simply beautiful. Liam Hayes wrote a solid, really good soundtrack for it, albeit, not very originally sounding ( I still bought it on cd).

The scene where Charlie's love interest Winnick and Charlie dance and sing and butcher in Portugese is priceless.

Don't trust the reviewrs, including myself. See the film for yourself and you be the judge.

In this day and age of computer graphics, it nice to see an under the radar , small production film , where the human element is better than any amount of CGI

Well done Mr. Coppola and the crew!

Satistfied movie-goer
on May 8, 2015
I just caught the last 30-40 min of this movie and I'm glad I missed the rest of or rented it. Had some great actors. Charlie Sheen is still on the fence. I use to enjoy his movies, but this was just trying to bring in an audience using his celebrity status(lol). As others have said at one time I loved his work but now it seems he isn't trying, specially this film. He's just walking through the movie without giving anything to the character, emptions or whatever. Charlie we miss your talent and I'm talking about beforeal 2 1/2 men, which also didn't have a lot of depth. But at least he was showing a bit of his old comedic self. It's too bad. He comes from a talented family and you can only ride those coattails for so long.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon March 20, 2016
If you dreamt of watching Two and a Half Men with foul language and some brief nudity, here you go - you are well served. Berta is a thin Mexican woman, John Cryer is Jason Schwartzman, the girl friends are one Katheryn Winnick, and they even found a young version of Angus T. Jones (Jake the kid in the television show) to be Charlie's kid. Bill Murray, Aubrey Plaza, and Patricia Arquette have no parallel in Two and a Half Men. Yeah - you go and watch this, you might love it.

How the heck they got all these amazing stars to do this stinker of a movie is beyond me. Bill Murray - normally funny beyond imagination - yeah is totally flat in this film.

This is a Charlie Sheen love fest. He loves himself and makes sure everybody will love him. But the sad truth, he is old and wrinkled. He looks terrible in this movie. He was moderately passable as a womanizer in the television show. In this film, he is just a gross old wrinkled guy chasing after a gorgeous young blonde - Katheryn Winnick. There are scenes where she looks like a young even more beautiful Scarlett Johansson. The comparison to nasty old Hugh Hefner is just way too strong.

Unless you really didn't get enough Charlie Sheen in Two and a Half Men and Anger Management - avoid this stinker like the plague. What a waste of an hour and twenty eight minutes. It is rated R for language and some nudity. Nobody should watch this, don't consider younger viewers.

Oh this is so sad, the film is based on a real person - Charlie White III. On the DVD there is a roughly 15 minute featurette about the real person. Honestly, if I hadn't watched this piece of garbage film, I would have really enjoyed the featurette about the real Charlie. I would strongly encourage you to watch that special feature, and ignore the feature film.
on August 5, 2013
It's hard to tell whether "A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III" is a good-natured bit of self-parody on the part of Charlie Sheen, poking fun at his reputation as a compulsive womanizer, or a vanity project designed to showcase the actor's now-legendary sexual prowess and playboy image. I suspect it's the former, but even if it's the latter, it still doesn't make for a very entertaining movie.

In plot, the movie feels an awful lot like a full-length version of "Californication," as a middle-aged, sunglass-wearing Angeleno laments how he's screwed up with the love of his life (Ivana played by Ketheryn Winnick) because he's never grown up enough to stay committed to a monogamous relationship.

Writer/director Roman Coppola's eclectic, scattershot approach alternates between scenes set in reality - or a close proximity thereof - and wild, but surprisingly flatfooted fantasy sequences heavy on op and pop visuals and graphics (Charlie is himself a successful graphics designer) and light on originality and cleverness. Apparently, there's not really all that much worth taking a glimpse of in ole Charlie's mind after all. Indeed, despite a big name cast that includes Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman and Patricia Arquette, the movie feels an awful lot like a third-rate film school project that somehow got green-lighted by an actual studio.
on August 9, 2013
A Glimpse Inside The Mind of Charles Swan III is the perfect example of a promising premise gone awry. At first glimpse, any art house fan would pop an excited grin at the names Coppola, Murray, Schwartzman, and a possible comeback role for the lovingly hate-able Sheen. Coppola - one of the many that make up the famous filmmaking Coppola family - visibly takes his tenure with Wes Anderson to heart and screen; the result being an awkwardly-artistic yet uninterestingly self aware expansion to the iconic look Roman brought to the table while he was the assistant director of The Life Aquatic (2004). Though at times the film accomplishes somewhat visually, the screenplay suffers without the charm of Coppola's writing counterpart - once again - Wes Anderson. Sadly, the glimpse we're given into the mind of Charles Swan III is not compelling in any rendition of the word. We're not given a character who exists on the hate/love spectrum. We're given a shmuck who only simply exists. To use The Life Aquatic as a further example, Bill Murray plays a constantly bland character who purposefully throws himself into terrible conditions just to have something happen in life. In "Glimpse", our titular actor gives us a character void of any depth. We see nothing. We are given nothing. There is so much painful nothingness in Sheen's performance that almost every promising aspect of the film is nullified - even with the help of the unswayable Murray. All in all, if you are interested in the negative side to flop art, give this film a try. But, as films on the shorter side go, you just might just find yourself 'glimpsing' a little too long. Viewer beware.