Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 36 reviews
on November 3, 2015
Glistenings are a product of Hollywood, with the need to be younger on the rise it changed humans into shape shifting dragons. Glistenings are now contained in a Truman Show manner after the almost fall of mankind where they live blissfully unaware and live like Leave It To Beaver. But the carpet underneath them is slowly unraveling and all to soon it's pulled out from under them as one by one they become aware. New Haven is not all it cracked up to be and they have a need to be free!

Once again I love the way Jill Cooper creates a world like no other. She keeps the story rolling and building to the point where it all just explodes into mass destruction. There are so many lives wrapped up in this one story that you want to keep reading onto the next just to see who makes it where. It starts off slow but it's an interesting slow it just builds the story to where it's going to go then it's like BAM and gets so excitingly fast paced that you can't keep up.

Jake and Wendy find themselves in a rut and have escaped from New Haven. While things erupt back home things they are unaware of evidence points Officer Jenna Morgan and her crew to them. Glistening Slayer Jenna is now on a man hunt for missing Jake and Wendy to find answers but she may find more than she bargains for. This is a mess of who's who and who to trust, you never can be certain when New Haven is involved.

What a great start to a fabulous series start your dragon thrill ride for FREE!
on June 10, 2016
I have long craved something new to read. I get tired of vampires, werewolves, mummies, frankenstein, gray or green aliens with big eyes. Finally! Something creative and new! When people start making plastic surgery an obsession, that obsession back fires. All the plastic surgery addicts, although beautiful people, as they wanted to me, instead turn into something hideous and dangerous when provoked. Placed into protective areas called "Havens", these beautiful people, take umbrage. They are, afterall, human...or are they? When upset their skin glistens, a dead give away to the cops who police the havens. Regular humans are "protected" from these "humans?" by having the glisteners placed in these havens. When one officer is discovered to be half glistener, all hell breaks loose, and so do the glistening. Do real humans stand a chance?
on September 12, 2015
This book is set in a post-apocalyptic world where modern medicine has changed humankind's chemistry and they now have the ability to change into glistenings. However, these glistenings are viewed as monsters because when rage overcomes them, they go on a killing spree hunting humans. Now the government restricts glistening rights but there are agencies seeking equality. Wendy and Jake, in typical Romeo and Juliet fashion, are seeking to be together in a world that tells them their relationship is wrong. As they go on the run for their safety and everything blows up in their wake, will they survive to reach safety?
The story is well written, though it could use a little bit of editing work. Once in a while, you'll find words missing in a sentence. It's not a huge issue though, just requires a little bit of guessing work when it happens.
on February 17, 2013
When I first decided to read Glistening Haven by Jill Cooper I picked it because the cover intrigued me. There was something about it that sparked interest inside of me and the description only made me want to read it more. But when I finally picked up the book to read it, it was nothing like what I thought it would be, instead it was a dozen times better!

I have read a lot of Dystopian novels over the past few months, thought I’d brush up on what to do after the world ended. Damn Mayans. The plot of Glistening Haven was fresh and inventive. Using society’s obsession with beauty as a way to create a whole new version of our species was intense and thrilling.

I had no idea the main characters in this story weren’t going to be human, or maybe they were more human than the actual humans. In this world Glistening’s are considered monsters and they live in several different enclosed domes around the country called New Haven.

The story is told through several different points of view, but the chapters are arranged in a way that it’s not confusing. I pretty much loved all the characters that I got to know throughout the story, but Jenna Morgan was by far my favorite. The plot was intricately woven and delivered almost flawlessly.

I don’t want to give away too much, but there are so many twists and turns in this story that the second you think you have everything figured out the plot throws a wrench into things. It is so difficult to come up with a truly original plot these days; Cooper hit the nail on the head with Glistening Haven. I’ve never read anything like it before.

We’ve got torture, love, friendship, violence, bloody death and a whole mess of corruption. As I said before I loved this story and I’m hoping there’s going to be a sequel! If Dystopian novels are your thing definitely check this one out. You won’t be sorry.
on March 6, 2013
This book has so many twist and turns, awesome characters and is written so well I don't even know where to begin. It was a fantastic dystopian story about what happens when greed and vanity rule humans lives. Can't wait to read the next one.
on February 14, 2013
I was somewhat torn while reading the book as to how to rate it, because while the storyline was great and grabbed my attention, the writing was, well, terrible. The entire book was replete with typos in the form of missing words, names that switched from one page to the next, wrong word usage (patients instead of patience! not to mention where instead of were and vice versa), horrible grammar, etc. And the writing itself was unbelievably clunky. A sample sentence:

"She pouted and made sure it was very strong, and pointed. She glowered at Laurel."

A strong pout? Pointed at what? Huh?

There were issues like this on every single page.

And while the story was gripping, the ending was ridiculous and that's what made me give this 2 stars. I understand authors wanting to leave things at a cliffhanger, but at least SOME things should be resolved so that the first book makes sense! Here we don't know what happens to the baby, it's unclear what's going on with the mom, we don't know what's going on in New Haven, and on and on. And quite frankly, the Jenna character and her motivations don't make any sense.

All in all, I'm annoyed I get sucked in, to a book that ended this way, after putting up with the crap writing while reading it. Not much payoff in the end.
on July 15, 2013
this book was a typical dystopian but something about it got me. there was just a quick small little part that wasn't normal in these books that I liked.
on February 2, 2013
What a different world Glistening Haven was! There were humans and glistenings living together in a controlled world of domes referred to as Havens. Our story begins in Haven 56. After the world survived the great beauty years, (our time), things went amok and the glistenings ate the celebrities of Hollywood. Once they were rounded up, had their wings clipped and their minds reconditioned, they were placed in the domed havens to live out productive lives if not predictable lives. Life for the Glistenings was very controlled and everyone was docile if not happy.

Quite a story.....running along the same old sins humanity has always faced....distinction between races, cultures, obsession with perfection and beauty and government in control. I'm uncertain whether this is a stand alone book or if there will be more to follow, but there is certainly room for the story to be further developed. I read the story and was engrossed in it, you feel the relationships between family members, and I grew to love the the humans and the glistenings. The book is jam packed with evil doers, innocents, heroes and action-adventure.

It was a read that encouraged the reader to think about the world created within the covers and how close real life has mirrored these conditions; how people throughout the ages have lived with these circumstances and how they have fared. I found this book quite interesting and unsettling to say the least--but in a good way. I felt challenged.
on December 14, 2015
This is a very interesting take on society as a whole. I very much enjoyed the writing style and story line! I immediately purchased the second book in the series after reading this!
on March 12, 2013
A interesting premise with good pacing and character development. The only thing that prevents me from giving the book a higher rating are some very amateurish grammar and spelling errors-better editing would have made the presentation more professional. But I will watch for other work from this author with interest.