nav_sap_plcc_acash Libros en Español Amazon Music Unlimited Grocery Makita GNO Shop now

on August 9, 2016
There are two major problems with this book, which for my purposes renders it useless, so I need to buy another book. First the organization of the various food and drink items are cumbersome. I guess, after some search and a fair amount of familiarization one could get over that problem, eventually. However the second problem is severe and that you can not get used to. You do not get an actual value for the Glycemic Index, rather the category is shaded in for "Low-GI" "Med-GI" and High-GI". Low is 0 - 55, which is a rather wide range. Add 15 points and now you are in the "High-GI" category. So, the difference between a Low GI and a High GI, could be only 15 points (55 vs. 70) or as much as 99 (1 vs. 100, as in the case of Stevia and Sucrose); I would never know if Dr. Shari Lieberman's book was my source of information.
9 people found this helpful
on March 5, 2013
I've bought literally thousands of books in my lifetime and this is really about as worthless as any I've ever seen. The index is almost non-existent, just try finding anything... like an onion! I gave up in disgust after a half hour of looking. Beware spending money on this book. I'm tossing it in the recycle bin as soon as I finish writing this.
25 people found this helpful
on June 3, 2015
This is by far the worst reference book I have ever seen. The author apparently wants the reader to look at every page in the book, since that is required to find the item you are looking for There is no rhyme or reason to the listings. For instance, I went looking for" bananas". Do I look under "Fruit"? But what page is fruit on? Or maybe look for "bananas", but where do I find out what page "bananas" are on? The book is an utter waste.
In addition, your policy of limiting GI ratings to L-M-H is inappropriate. If a product has a 54 GI I want to know that it is practically High.
8 people found this helpful
on March 3, 2012
Glycemic Index of foods not expressed numerically. Food are listed as low, medium or high. The Glycemic Load is expressed numerically. I know the author has the knowledge to do a better job. If you are a person who likes to know the glycemic number, look elsewhere. Really disappointed and this book will be donated to the public library.
29 people found this helpful
on May 13, 2016
This was pretty much a waste of money. There are many items in this very slim volume that are cross-referenced multiple times. If all of those cross references were removed this would probably be only a dozen or so pages of unique material. And of course with the advent of the internet, there is actually no need for a book like this anymore.
2 people found this helpful
on April 14, 2009
While this book did have many more listings than anything else I've found, it is very difficult to find what you are looking for. One simple alphabetical listing would have been much more helpful than the catagories and sub-catagories it has. Also note that this is a British publication, so many names are not familiar to Americans (an aubergine is an eggplant; a pulse is a pea, bean or lentil...)
119 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 30, 2017
I have diabetes and this book has helped me immensely. Right now I'm not on medication or insulin. I'm slowly loosing weight, but at my age, it's going to take a while, but this book has helped me out a lot.
One person found this helpful
on July 9, 2011
I have been making an effort to incorporate the glycemic index into my diabetic diet. This book is small,easy to carry and useful for some foods. It has the easiest to understand (although very short) explainations of the terms new to my vocabulary. It's size is wonderful to carry with me since my walk is unsteady and I can't carry much. I found it simple to use! If you don't find what you want in the listing try the index. It certainly easier to use and carry than any other I have. I would like an updated version. A lot has happened in nutritritional studies in the last five years. I am not looking for larger(I have those) just what's new.
4 people found this helpful
on January 21, 2010
For those of us looking to deal with our type II Diabeties, it is hard to find information that is straight forward and easy to use. This little book is a fantastic tool for monitoring what really needs to be watched, a foods Glycemic Load. There are only 30 pages of text and the rest is a easy to use index. By far the best $4.00 investment I have made in keeping my blood sugar level where it needs to be. I encourage anyone dealing with diabeties to invest in this little book. You will be surprized at what you will learn about the foods you thought were safe, and the one you thought were bad. One note. This book is not aimed at losing weight, just monitoring GL.
19 people found this helpful
on May 30, 2016
This book has too much junk food in it and not enough of other foods
People with diabetes shouldn't be
eating Mars bars in the first place.
3 people found this helpful