Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "GoPro HERO5 Session" and save 10% off the $299.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
2-Year Multi-Device Protection Planfrom Assurant
- Plan covers all electronics purchased (Mobile Phones Excluded) within 12 months of purchase of the plan
- Click on "Learn More" or see below to view the full list of products covered
- Eligible products are covered for 2 years from the purchase of the plan with $1000 in total claim benefits
- Protects against drops, spills, and cracks immediately, and mechanical breakdown after the manufacturer's warranty expires
- $0 deductible. Cancel anytime. See full Terms and Conditions for details
GoPro HERO5 Session
|Price:||$299.00 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Stunning 4K video and 10MP photos in Single, Burst and Time Lapse modes.
- Durable by design, HERO5 Session is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing.
- Additional GoPro HERO5 Session Features + Benefits below on item page.
- A single press of the Shutter button powers the camera on and starts recording automatically.
- Refer user manual and installation manual below for software update instructions.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
From the manufacturer
GoPro HERO5 Session
The Best, Only Smaller.
Capture different with HERO5 Session. With its stunning 4K video, one-button simplicity and voice control, HERO5 Session may be the ultimate combination of performance and small size. Liquid-smooth image stabilization, waterproof design and go-anywhere durability help capture life as you live it. And when it’s time to edit and share, HERO5 Session can automatically upload footage to your GoPro Plus cloud account, providing easy access on your phone. Then you can use Quik, the GoPro editing app, to automatically create videos that wow. HERO5 Session—your life, from a new perspective.
The Versatile GoPro Family
Works with 30+ GoPro Official mounts and accessories.
- HERO5 Session Camera
- Standard Frame
- Curved Adhesive Mount
- Flat Adhesive Mount
- Mounting Buckle
- USB-C Cable
Features + Benefits
Enjoy hands-free control of your GoPro using simple voice commands.
'GoPro, start recording'.
Sleek and compact, HERO5 Session captures amazing new perspectives.
4K Video + 10MP Photo
Stunning 4K video, 10MP photos in Single, Burst, and Time Lapse modes.
Advanced Video Stabilization
HERO5 Session can capture stunningly smooth video handheld, mounted to your favorite gear, and more.
Features + Benefits
Simple One-Button Control
A single press of the shutter button powers the camera on and starts recording automatically.
Rugged + Waterproof
Durable by design, HERO5 Session is waterproof to 33 feet (10m) without a housing.
Wear it. Mount it. Love it.
Capture life in a whole new way with 30+ GoPro mounts and accessories, including Karma, 3-Way, Remo and more.
Access + Share From Anywhere
With a GoPro Plus subscription, HERO5 Session can automatically upload photos and videos directly to the cloud for easy viewing, editing and sharing on the go.
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
|Photo (Up To)||12MP / 30 FPS Burst / Time Lapse||10MP / 30FPS Burst / Time Lapse||8MP / 10FPS Burst / Time Lapse|
|Video (Up To)||4K30 / 1440p80 / 1080p120||4K30 / 1440p60 / 1080p90||1440p30 / 1080p60|
|Waterproof 33 feet (10M)||✓||✓||✓|
|Simple 1-Button Control||✓||✓||✓|
|WiFi + Bluetooth||✓||✓||✓|
|Advanced Wind Noise Reduction||✓||✓|
|Auto Upload To Cloud||✓||✓|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion|
|Battery Weight||22 grams|
|Display Resolution Maximum||1080p|
|Effective Still Resolution||10|
|External Memory Included||No|
|Flash Memory Type||;;;|
|Image Aspect Ratio||4:3|
|Item Dimensions||1.5 x 1.5 x 1.43 inches|
|Item Weight||0.28 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||3.8 Watt Hours|
|Manufacturer Warranty Description||GoPro products and accessories are guaranteed against manufacturing defects one (1) year from the original date of purchase. GoPro's sole obligation in the event of such defects during this period is to repair or replace the defective part or product with a comparable part or product at GoPro's sole discretion. Except for such repair or replacement, the sale, processing or other handling of this product is without warranty, condition or other liability even though the defect or loss is caused by negligence or other fault. Damage resulting from use, accident, or normal wear and tear is not covered by this or any warranty. GoPro assumes no liability for any accident, injury, death, loss, or other claim related to or resulting from the use of this product. In no event shall GoPro be liable for incidental or consequential damages relating to or resulting from the use of this product or any of its parts. Because of possible user resealing error, this product is not warrantied against waterhousing leakage or any resulting damage. Please review and follow the instructions carefully when sealing the waterhousings! Returns or replacements of parts and/or products may be subject to shipping, handling, replacement and/or restocking fees.|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Shipping Weight||0.9 pounds|
|Sport Type||Snow Skiing|
The stunning 4K video and one-button design of HERO5 Session may be the ultimate combination of performance and simplicity. Loaded with pro-quality capture features, it’s also a connected GoPro that makes it easy to access, edit and share on any device. Capture your life as you’ve never seen it with HERO5 Session.
HERO5 Session Camera
Curved Adhesive Mount
Flat Adhesive Mount
Top customer reviews
- Video Quality (Amazing!... and a significant improvement over the Hero Session)
- Electronic Image Stabilization (excellent at removing the small jitters you usually get holding action-cams)
- Good Audio (a slight improvement over the good Hero Session audio)
- Dead-Simple (simple single-button operation, and intuitive second-button operations for changing basic settings without the app)
- Lots of fine-tuning options (in-app)
- Wicked-Small (I keep mine floating around in my pocket on adventures)
- Waterproof (down to ~33', diving housing required for deeper)
- Rugged (with a screw-on lens cover that can be replaced in the event that you exceed the limits of it's ruggedness)
- Faster "record" delay (only ~2.5 second delay between "OFF" and "Recording" when using One-Button filming, which is nearly 2X as fast as the Hero Session)
- Linear FOV Option (This new FOV option does a great job of removing the fisheye that is required for wide FOV shots. Very similar to Medium FOV, but without any noticeable distortion)
- Updates (GoPro provides great firmware updates for all of their cameras. This little guy got an update almost immediately after launch, so be sure to check the official site for instructions on how to update your cameras firmware)
- New Capture App (I found it to be a significant improvement over the last version. Much easier for me to connect to, and it remembered my cam each time I opened the app)
- Voice Control (I was pleasantly surprised to find that it works reliably, and I can see a lot of use-cases for what, at first, seems like a gimmicky feature)
- Audio Volume: I still need to bump-up the volume of the audio in my editing software.
- "Okay" Low Light Performance: If you fine-tune the settings in-app, you can get some decent low-light performance out of it, but it may take you a while to figure that out. A significant improvement in low-light vs the Hero Session, but nothing to be bragging about.
I use this camera to film some of my casual adventures.
I had started off filming with an awesome camcorder, and took a hit to my video quality when I decided to switch to the Hero Session. I thought the convenience of the Hero Session made up for the hit to video quality. But now w/ the Hero5 Session I get the best of both worlds: Extreme convenience with great video quality.
My Favorite Camera Settings:
- 1080 Resolution *all of my content ultimately lives on YouTube, and I feel like 1080p at a decent bit-rate is plenty of quality for me.
- Linear FOV
- 30 FPS
- EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization) ON
- ProTune ON (advanced in-app setting) *Turning this on really bumps the bit-rate (quality) of your video, obviously at the expense of larger file sizes.
- Flat Color Profile (app) *GoPro Color Profile if I don't feel like adjusting in post.
- 400 ISO (app) *because I prefer as little noise as possible, and am happy to have darker low-light performance instead of noisy low-light performance.
- No LED *much less intimidating for subjects this way.
- No BEEPS *much stealthier this way.
My Favorite Post-Processing Edits:
- Increase Audio to 200% (double)
- If filming in Flat Color Profile:
slight increase: Contrast and Saturation
slightly decrease: Gamma and Brightness
My Favorite Accessory:
a mini clamshell hard-case to transport the cam: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015CQR2WK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but when I reach a destination, the cam spends the rest of its time naked and in my pocket.
Hope that helps.
See my updates below about the following issues and others - I've updated the rating to 4 stars now. It has been reliable and fun with some of the additional features (4K, 1080p90fps). It's a fun and compact camera, and I think the extra 50% cost is worth it over the Session4
This hot charging issue now appears gone with the firmware update - (First impression: But wait - why is this thing so darn HOT when I'm charging it - It's disturbingly hot. Not so hot that I cannot pick it up, but very very warm. The Session4 does not get that hot when charging. Batteries do not do well when they get hot - that shortens their life so this is not a good sign to me, particularly since I cannot change the battery.)
This issue also appears better with the new firmware (1.50), not perfect, but good enough - Next up was my experience hooking it up to a Win7 PC to transfer video and get the camera time set correctly. I was seeing very flaky behavior. Sometimes the computer would recognize the device, pop up the software and then wait... would see no content on the media !?! Other times the device would not be recognized at all.... Weird. Taking the flash card out and putting it into a USB adapter allows the card contents to be seen and read.... Remember, I have a Session4, so all of this generally worked with that device - so in early October 2016 the Session5 seems to have some software/hardware issues that still need to be worked out. As of Firmware 1.50 - January 2017 - this interaction with a PC seems much better.
Finally -Before updating the firmware the first time I had a heart stopping few minutes with the brand new unit. It would not respond to mode or "shutter" button presses. I could feel it was warm, so it appeared to be running, but it was not doing anything I could see. Pulling the card, plugging into power, also would not elicit a response. Finally reading instructions on how to "reset" it to get control back (remove card, push mode button for 8-10 seconds, wait 5 seconds), and then updating the firmware manually (yes, they were put in the box before the latest update firmware) - which was successful.
Second impressions - This firmware update has me much happier at the moment. They do need to seriously improve the internal battery meter - Says over 4 hours, but actually gets less than 2 hours battery life when recording at the default 1080 30fps W setting - Voice control off, Video stabilization off, wireless connection off.
Third impressions - The latest firmware, and my regular usage have shown me this can be a reliable and fun device.
Other possibly less important issues -
USB C connector - not having to worry about orientation is great, but the connector does not seem as solid as the old Session4 connector.
The "waterproof" door (only to 30 ft) behaves differently than on the Session 4. On the Session 4 the door pops open when unlatched, there is a very positive feel to it. On the Session5, the door acknowledges that it has been unlatched but it is not as much a "pop" as the Session4. It does not fill me with confidence that it will keep water out. Admittedly this is only a feeling - not tested yet.
With firmware 1.50 this responsiveness issue is no longer true, in-fact it is the opposite, the Session5 is now the faster unit. (I regularly record with both - rearward with the Session4, and forward with the Session5) The responsiveness of the Session5 camera to button presses was a bit slower than with the Session4 in earlier firmware, but this is gone now.
Why did they stop including the low profile mount? My Session4 came with both a normal and low profile mount/cage. With these compact cameras, people are probably going to want the low profile/compact mount. Now you have to get it as an extra accessory.
- Note I still strongly dislike the smartphone app since it is very difficult to get it to connect reliably via WiFi without manually changing a bunch of connectivity settings - none the less, I am back to being very impressed with the included desktop software. It has one very annoying flaw in that when it presents the media it gives no idea of the video sequence - which piece was first, second or next. They know the date and time-stamps, or the filename numbering sequence, so providing that information would be super helpful - but they don't. When reviewing media now I tend to just use VLC (Videolan.org), then use the Desktop app if I want to save, edit or share a clip.
Most recent customer reviews
Very useful an compact little cube is genius.....Read more
I've used it tied in my car during racing event, or when snorkling or even just playing in the pool. It's a very nice camera!Read more