Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $5.99 shipping
GoPro HERO3: Black Edition
|Price:||$373.00 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Versatile shooting modes for pros
- More detail in brightly-lit areas
- Wi-Fi built in
- Lighter and smaller
- Reduced fogging in the housing
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion|
|Item Dimensions||1.6 x 2.3 x 1.2 inches|
|Item Weight||0.16 pounds|
|Lithium Battery Energy Content||2 Watt Hours|
|Lithium Battery Voltage||5 Volts|
|Lithium Battery Weight||22.7 grams|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||12 MP|
|Shipping Weight||2.35 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)|
|Video Capture Format||h.264|
|Video Capture Resolution||1080p_hd|
Compare to Similar Items
This item: GoPro HERO3: Black Edition
GoPro HERO4 Silver B00NIYJF6U
GoPro HERO3: Silver Edition B009PK9S90
|Price||$373.00||Add to cart to see price. Why?||$300.00||$387.00|
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||PRICERIGHT||Amazon.com||Camera Guy Store||SSE Photo & Video|
|Optical Zoom||1 x||1 x||1 x||0 x|
|Display Size||0 mm||0 inches||2 inches||0 inches|
|Item Package Weight||2.35 pounds||1.35 pounds||1.25 pounds||1.46 pounds|
Please help us improve this feature. Tell us what you think of this feature.
From the Manufacturer
Born from a passion to capture your adventures from your perspective, the completely redesigned HERO3: Editions line of cameras are the most advanced GoPro cameras, ever.
Shockproof and waterproof to 197' (60m), and proven in heavy surf from Tahiti to Northern California and everywhere in between, GoPro cameras can handle it thanks their highly engineered polycarbonate exoskeletal housing. Ready for action—from scuba diving to dirt track racing, and tough enough to take a spin across the asphalt or launch into space, GoPros are built to take a beating and keep filming. Replacement lens kits and housings are available, so there’s little worry while going for glory—even while diving with sharks.
Wear it. Mount it. Love it.™
GoPro mounts enable you to capture a fully immersive experience of your most exciting moments while ensuring your camera is securely attached and with you for the ride. Helmets, poles, boards, vehicles—and even yourself—whatever you’re into, there’s a GoPro camera mount that will help you get the perfect angle and POV for your most epic adventures. The HERO3 comes with a few basic mounts to get you started.
HERO3: The Most Advanced GoPro, Ever.
Weighing in at a scant 2.6 ounces, the HERO3: Black Edition is 25% lighter and 30% smaller than previous models.
2X Faster Video Performance
The HERO3: Black Edition captures professional, cinema-quality video at 2X the resolution and 2X the frame-rate of previous models while delivering 2X better low light performance. Slow-motion aficionados and industry professionals will love the HERO3: Black Edition's 1080p-60, 720p-120, WVGA-240, 960p-100 and 1440p-48 video modes while those desiring a cinematic look will appreciate the ultra-high resolution 2.7KP-30 fps and 4KP-15 fps (Protune only) video modes.
3X Faster Photo Performance
The HERO3: Black Edition's photo performance is 3X improved, now boasting 12MP burst capture at a staggering 30 frames per second with 2X better low light performance compared to previous models. Still Photo and Time-lapse Photo modes remain the same but are now joined by a new Continuous Photo mode that captures continuous 12MP stills at a steady 3, 5, or 10 photo-per-second rate, up to 30 photos at a time.
Improved Sharpness, Less Distortion
The HERO3's reduced-distortion, 6-element aspherical lens combines with user-selectable Ultra-wide, Medium and Narrow field-of-views to deliver more perspective-capture options than ever before. Add the totally updated flat-lens waterproof housing that delivers stunning image sharpness both above and below water and you've got one of the most powerful and durable image capture solutions on the planet.
Redesigned Audio System
Understanding that sound quality is as important as image quality, GoPro engineers completely redesigned the HERO3 to be as adept at capturing the subtle, natural sounds of voice and music as it is at capturing the immersive sounds of sport. Also improved is GoPro's already famous wind-noise reduction, ensuring that you'll hear more of your passion, be it your engine or expletives, and less of the wind during high speed activities.
Built-in Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi Remote Included)The HERO3 Black Edition features built-in Wi-Fi and includes GoPro's Wi-Fi Remote accessory. The Wi-Fi Remote is normally available as a $79.99 accessory but is included with the HERO3: Black Edition. The Wi-Fi Remote is waterproof, wearable and can control up to 50 Wi-Fi-enabled GoPros at a time from a range of 600'. The HERO3's built in Wi-Fi means it can also be controlled by iOS smartphones and tablets running the GoPro App.
Protune™—Powerful Control for Professionals
A new video mode that unlocks the camera’s full potential, Protune yields stunning image quality and cinema-caliber video for professional productions. Available on the Silver and Black Editions.
- 35Mbps Data Rate: Provides an improved, less compressed image.
- Neutral Color Profile: Allows for greater latitude through the color correction process.
- Log Curve Encoding: Provides more detail in shadows and highlights.
- Reduced Sharpening and Noise Reduction: Improves flexibility in professional workflows.
- 24fps Frame Rates: Easily intercut GoPro content with other sources without fps conversion.
Connect. View. Control. The GoPro App
The GoPro App lets you control your GoPro camera remotely using a smartphone or tablet. Features include full control of all camera settings, live video preview to your smartphone or tablet for easy shot framing and more—Available for free on the Apple App Store™ and Google Play.
Get new feature updates, product enhancements and more for your HERO3 through camera software updates. Available at gopro.com/support.
HERO3 Camera Comparision
|White Edition|| |
|VIDEO||1080p30/ 960p30/ 720p60 fps||1080p30/ 960p30/ 720p60 fps||4Kp fps, 2.7 kp 30 fps, 1440p48/ 1080p60/ 720p120 fps|
|PHOTO||5MP / 3 fps Burst||11MP/ 10 fps Burst||12MP/ 30 fps Burst|
|WI-FI REMOTE||Compatible (sold seperately)||Compatible (sold seperately)||Included|
|PRO LOW-LIGHT||Pro Low-Light||High Performance|
Battery & Charging
- 1050mnAh rechargeable lithium-ion
- Charge via USB
Black Edition with LCD Touch BacPac™
Black Edition using with Wi-Fi Remote
Black Edition using GoPro App
|RES/FPS||Estimated Time||Estimated Time||Estimated Time||Estimated Time|
- Extreme cold temperatures may decrease battery life. For use in these conditions it is suggested to keep camera in a warm place prior to use.
- To maximize HERO3 battery life when shooting longer duration activities, it’s is best to use camera with LCD Touch BacPac turned off or unattached altogether. Turning off Wi-Fi will also help conserve power.
- Using protune mode will increase power consumption. May vary per mode and camera edition.
HERO3 Premium Accessories + Mounts
The LCD Touch BacPac is a removable LCD touch screen for GoPro cameras. As a removable accessory, the LCD BacPac keeps your camera as small and light as possible, yet provides the convenience of an LCD screen when attached.
The Battery BacPac attaches to your GoPro camera to double battery life. Perfect for long duration time-lapse photo sessions, endurance motorsports racing or any application where you need up to 2X the battery life.
GoPro mounts enable you to capture a fully immersive experience of your most exciting moments.
Read about our customers' top-rated camcorders on our review page: Camcorders
Top Customer Reviews
The first thing you must do is update the firmware manually. After several attempts with the automatic process, my Gopro -and many others I suspect- failed to update, and it was never at all apparent that the process failed. After several days of use, the camera began to malfunction. If you don't get your firmware updated successfully, you are guaranteed to have major problems.
Here is a quick guide on how to manually update your firmware: (If you have a Mac, or are not computer-savvy, check online for more detailed instructions. Lawrence M. Friedman posted a comprehensive how-to on Gethypoxic.)
1. Jot down your serial number (both lines) from inside the battery port. Insert a Class 10 micro SD, battery, and take a picture to ensure your card is good. Ensure WiFi is off, and charge your camera to 2 bars if necessary. (Steps 1-5 on the update instructions at GoPro.com.) At this point, do not connect your Gopro to your PC.
2. Instead, download the update files from Gopro.com onto your PC. To do this, follow the prompts for 'manual update.' Complete the registration fields.
3. Connect the camera to your PC & power up. Open your Gopro drive, then move the update files from your PC onto your Gopro. DO NOT put the files into either folder (DCIM or Misc), just place the files next to those folders (root).
4. Disconnect your GoPro from your PC, then turn it back on. This should initiate the update process.
IMPORTANT: Now pay attention to your Gopro LCD display.Read more ›
First Unit Issues (Latest Firmware Update)
- Unit kept freezing
- After a day, unit stopped detecting SD card.
- Performed all trouble shooting (i.e. hard restart, reformatting of SD card, pulling out battery, updated to latest firmware), but the unit was just bad.
- The unit had to be replaced.
Second Unit Issues (Latest Firmware Update)
- The replacement unit did not suffer the same issues as the first unit.
- But contained the battery drain issue when the unit is fully off (WiFi turned off as well).
- No matter how many times I recharged the battery, the battery would be dead by the next day even with the GoPro off. Please note that this is not normal for this unit and my prior unit did not suffer this issue.
At the end of the day, it seems that the issues that I have been experiencing above align with numerous complaints on the Gopro forums and the internet. In addition, the GoPro customer service line has been backed up so bad it is either a 45 minute wait or they can't take your call at all.
I do believe this product is the best camera on the market, IF YOU CAN GET ONE THAT WORKS PROPERLY. I am a supplier manager/buyer at a Fortune 500 Company within the tech industry and I can tell you that either this product is not production ready with the amount of issues, or the GoPro Quality Department has really dropped the ball.Read more ›
First off, our apologies for the long overdue response. We only recently obtained the ability to provide input through Amazon's review system. We are truly sorry to hear about the issues experienced with your camera as well as the replacement camera received shortly thereafter. The issues described should have been fully resolved for quite some time now. Should you encounter any further issues please do make sure your camera is running the latest firmware version as there have been a number of updates released since the time of the initial posting
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out to our customer support team.
The GoPro App has its own set of bugs but it works great for previewing a shot before you are set to record. The 4 or 7 second lag in the video previewing is alittle annoying but you get use to it.
Now here is the biggest problem and why GoPro as a business has bad business practices.
We tried to post this same review (but 3 stars and minus the go-pro being a bad company part) but they have refused to post it! We did not violate any of the rules they have when posting a review on their website. The review was rejected because of the simple fact that it was a 3 star review of their product...
I will now be looking towards other Motorsports cameras because of their lack of customer support and shady business practices!
* Much better video quality then previous GoPro Hero's
* Built in WiFi
* Comes with remote
* GoPro App
* GoPro refused to let me post this review on their website!
* Terrible customer service!
* No Battery life!
* Preview lag and Bugs in GoPro App
* No Suction Cup when you spend $400.00 :-(
* No wall charger when you spend $400.00
I will continue to post this review on as many review websites as possible because of the way GoPro has handled this matter!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I've taken this camera with me all over the world from Spain, Germany, France, Amsterdam, U.S., Hawaii you name it! The picture quality and durability of this camera is extensive. Read morePublished 22 days ago by Izzy D.
i am SO turned off by the negative feedback! i will NOT be buying this camera after all. i plan on going zip lining and wanted to record the adventure. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Gladys Jones
This camera is a nice upgrade from previous version. The wifi works well and as the app has been updated the interface has improved. Video quality is great. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Chris J.
If battery life extended and photo quality improved then its the best camera of all.Published 4 months ago by Rashad Khalilov