Oil month Automotive HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Showing 1-10 of 70 reviews(3 star). See all 1,388 reviews
on September 11, 2015
Good read. Not just a business book, but about problem solving in general. Other reviews will tell you more. Kindle version is terrible. Many missing words. Can figure most of it out from context, but it disturbs the flow, and, well, you just shouldn't have to. 4 starts for the book, 2 for the kindle screw up.
on October 23, 2017
As a story it was compelling but as a book about business it was mixed. It sounded need except after the story is over, in the end, it's pointed out the techniques taught by the story didn't actually work for several businesses which kind of pulls the rug out from under the message.
on May 25, 2011
Wow, 11 CDs! I had a really hard time finishing 11 CDs, I can not imagine what the book is like. But I was really interested in what the "book" had to offer. I'm pretty sure this Audiobook was read WORD for WORD. The narrator sounded like Kevin Spacey, which was interesting, in a funny way. I think they could have made an Abridged version that would have been much easier to digest.

All in all, if you do not have the time to read the book, and are on the road alot, this is a very good substitute. I prefer the information straight-forward, but from the reviews (CD 10 and 11) it sounds like many readers actually enjoyed the story. I however, did not find it enjoyable.

Alex, the protagonist, starts the valuable stuff on Chapter 4, so if you are like me, you might want to skip ahead. From there, its hard to say which Chapters are the most valuable because he (Alex) does go back and forth about "The Goal" and the story of the book.

I don't mean to offend anyone, just giving my candid opinion.

Best of luck,
SDKaizen
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 1, 2018
meh. some good ideas that could have been summarized in an article. I feel like I wasted hours of my life reading an unrealistic fictional story that I was not interested in at all.
on February 17, 2016
I finally read this book after hearing about it for over decade. I don't quite get the hype. It is fairly well written and entertaining for a "business fable" where the lessons are learned through a story. But the main learning is fairly intuitive after it's first mentioned: plan around your biggest bottleneck. You can't produce any faster than the throughput of your biggest bottleneck.
on December 8, 2016
I know this book has become an industry standard, but the principles could probably be taught in a few chapters- not the couple hundred pages. I would like the book better if it was just about improving a company's constraints/bottlenecks; the problem was, the book delved into the main character's marriage and family life (some may like it because of the work/life balance implications).
on August 31, 2017
It was very educational but very repetitive! It wasn't my cup of tea for literature but for a class it wasn't a bad read!
on July 22, 2015
Not necessarily a fun, breezy read, but as a classroom book, it's not bad. Includes practical advice on analyzing processes and making continual improvements.
on June 16, 2010
"The Goal" is effective at teaching a new method for approaching operations metrics in a business. The Socratic method employed by the author sometimes feels silly but it does seem like a way to improve the efficiency of your business. Required pre-enrollment reading for me at the University of Virginia Darden School of Business so I cannot affirm nor deny whether this method worked for me.

Clearly the author is a scientist and not a Pulitzer prize winner -- the story rambles at times and the end in particular doesn't seem to tie in with the rest of the story. Pretty quick read, however. You may even be able to knock this book out while on a cross-country flight.
on May 7, 2015
At times this book would seem to drag on, with lots of drama inbetween, almost too much. I get how it went to the overall story, but it seemed to get in then way of the points they were trying to make. Too bad because this book introduced several different concepts, but again it was buried in the drama