Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 20 reviews
on August 10, 2013
Jim C. Hines has become somebody bankable. He writes entertaining fantasies with wit and charm. None more so than his trilogy starring Jig the Goblin. In fact, if Hines has any failings, is that he works by day and writes ... well he doesn't write enough for my liking. And he has moved on from Jig's tales. Or at least I had thought he had.

I kept waiting for somebody to give me this book. i finally ran out of patience and got and read it almost immediately. It was an antidote to a real-life tale of horror that I had just read. And it brought me laughs and smirks and immense relief in my time of mental turmoil.

The book consists of some filler that got left out of the original trilogy. These are the stories that Hines couldn't fit into the original books or existed outside of the trilogy as pre-cursors. They're the first Jig stories, including the one where he meets Smudge the Fire Spider. Other characters in the Jig legend also get stand-alone stories. And each made me remember what I loved about the books. And I remember life can be fun, again.

The recent explosion of self-publishing via the Kindle has re-kindled (sorry about that) my interest in short stories. I had let my subscriptions to Asimov's and Amazing and other like magazines lapse. I was hoarding my reading time for long-form series fiction. Partly because I was finding I didn't care for a substantial portion of these pot-luck assemblages of short stories. Partly because of the cost. But the Kindle Singles and collections like this one, are proving to be priced right and I know and appreciate the author will give me good value. I approve heartily.

You should read the whole Jig series before taking in this one. I'm not sure if it is as enjoyable without the background. But in emphasizing the reading 'requirement,' I feel confident I'm doing you right.
on June 23, 2011
A year ago, I was scrolling through blogs and saw a link to Jim Hines' live journal - commenting on his Princess Series. I was intrigued enough to give the series a try. Since then, I've been an occasional lurker on his blog and saw that he was self-publishing this short story collection, mostly situated in his goblin-esque world that I had not really been interested in reading. (honestly, sounded kind of gross)

However, I bought it (at the low price of 2.99, why not?) and loved it.

The 5 stories, 4 Goblin and 1 Libriomancer (sounds awesome, and is) are short bursts of flavor that leave a lingering taste for more. Although not LMAO funny, the blend of comedy and action will leave you chuckling along on these adventures with Jig, Veka, and Smudge. After reading this, I went back and purchased the three Goblin books (Hero, War, and Quest) - all while kicking myself for not giving the Jig books a chance before. So if you are interested but unsure, this is a great place to start even if it isn't the beginning.
on May 11, 2013
These are some of the most hilarious and well-thought out stories I've ever read. I love how Jim C. Hines makes fun of the sort of books with character names no one can pronounce, verbs that sound like livestock with gastrointestinal issues, and bone-headed quests full of symbolism that - really - are completely unnecessary and generally embarked on in the least logical ways imaginable. The action is viewed through the eyes of highly pragmatic characters who seem confused by the more "romantic" characters and their complete lack of common sense. Overall, the writing is appealing, characterization is excellent, the plots are wonderfully clever, and the endings are mightily satisfying. I'd recommend this to anyone.
on September 17, 2017
Bought after reading "Goblin Quest". Fun read for fans.
on March 24, 2011
Another exceptional read from Jim C Hines! It just gets better and better. He leaps and jumps from one end to another, filling gaps here and there like flowers in a garden. He is the master of tease, gives you a lick of what Libriomancer is all about, then tells you to wait for the main book. I particularly like his comments after every tale (Kindle edition) and brought me to snickers.

My only criticism is that the book could have been longer. Perhaps, guest authors? A compendium? Love the tiny world under the mountain that Mr Hines has built, with so much room for expansion!
on December 23, 2012
Stories to tie the loose ends, on readers demand perhaps but quite nice. Ive read the Goblin stories a while back but it was hard to connect the dots and it was like additional stories with little connections.
Nevertheless it was a fine reading and the last story about the Libriomancer was an inspiring one to get me to a new series of books.
Thank you!
on September 18, 2014
I bought this for my son. My son loves Jim C Hines books. He really enjoyed the Jig the Dragonslayer series. I was happy to see this one and he said it needs 10 thumbs up as it kept him enthralled on our trip to Michigan and back.
on January 2, 2013
What a delight to see goblins, the fantasy equivalent of rats, given a fair chance at their own story. With his trademark humor, and insight, Jim Hines brings back the world of Jig and his fellows.
on December 6, 2013
Jim C Hines is awesome. I've read all of his work and his goblin novels are amazing! I will re-read them again and again!
on May 26, 2014
A wonderful collection of early Jig stories, plus a Goblin/Bunny Blade crossover. I have read it twice, which I rarely do.