Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 113 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 139 reviews
on August 30, 2017
Loved hearing what they had to say, learning what they have gone through. My heart went out to them; I just wanted the best for them.
on October 12, 2013
I'm a documentary fanatic and this rates eww I'd say in my top 30 or so list of favorites. I have about 16,000 documentaries on my hard drive and seen even way more than that. It's about this group of Kenyan boys that became refugees after a horridous civil war in Kenya. It's follows their lives as they are given an opportunity to move to the U.S.A. Keep in mind these are kids that have never known running water and only limited levels of electricity. It really taught me about my own culture and how materialistic and isolated we have become. It has given me a deep sense of appreciation for their culture, their values, their social structure, their emotions, and their humanity. They learned alot in America, but I think I learned more from them. This documentary should be required material for every child in the u.s.a. I showed to all my classes when I taught school and kids were mentioning it years later. I really got a sense that it deeply impacted their lives as well. Selah. I just wish we could appreciate this kind of thing.
on December 6, 2013
This was one of the most "moving" films I had seen in a while. It follows the lives of three "Lost Boys" who survived their flight from the Sudan to Kenya as they are selected to go to America for re-settlement.
Their views of the excesses of our overly material society and their experience with racism brought tears to my eyes. John Dau was mystified at American Christmas because in the refugee camp it would have been a day of dancing and singing, not feasting and gifts. It was edifying to see that two of the three adjusted to life here and made successes of themselves. One returned to Africa to continue to give back to his people. John Dau was reunited with his family after many years of not even knowing if they were alive.
on April 21, 2017
Good movie. Watched it before a mission trip working with refugees.
on June 27, 2017
please except star rating
on August 18, 2017
This is one of my favorite documentaries!
on October 21, 2015
My family enjoyed this video. This is the kind of video we prefer to watch and I'm glad we spent the money on it. We prefer real life movies better than made up hollywood garbage. I recommend this. My college age daughter learned about this movie in one of her classes and asked if we could buy it. Amazon shipped it within 24 hours. packaging was fine and price was very reasonable. We would watch this again.
on January 30, 2013
This is a great documentary and contains the story of the "Lost Boys" from Africa. This relates how a group of young rural farming boys witnessed their families being killed before their eyes and how they managed to walk across two countries in Africa to wind up in a camp behind barbed wire. They grew up there and received a basic education. The US flew some to this country and they prospered! Their close cultural ties and religion (Christianity) helped them to succeed. It shows a triumph of the human spirit. And there are no actors. You get to see them board the plane and fly to the us. It shows how different their life had been compared to what we take for granted. They were truly thankful.
on June 2, 2014
Very simple human movie on true character ! This is life. This movie will make you come out of our boundaries or your own
prison. If you have not traveled counties in the world, you must watch this to understand and respect others situations.
America is great country in my feeling just because it has embarrassed so much of immigrants and modern day refugees from the world.Refugees are unwanted people for many that's why they become refugees. I am grateful for the nation of America and it's people for this act of humanity ! Your nation is blessed and much of your sins are forgiven for the act of accepting refugees in your nation! This is also Biblical blessing as you welcome stranger in your land ( surely you too have paid a price for getting many of the enemies). I have known and lived with many refugees in America. I feel good to see them blessed. "God grew Tired of Us" movie is just a tiny story of how the love and acceptance of a nation can touch human spirit!
on March 4, 2008
God Grew Tired of Us is a documentary tracing the experience of three young men -- from their war-torn Sudanese village as "lost boys" to their escape trek through hundreds of miles of dangerous terrain to their decade-long 'waiting' in Kenya's Kakuma refugee camp to their resettlement in the United States.

The story effectively shows the challenges facing these young men. While the US does offer opportunities, the culture here is quite different from sunlit Africa. People in the refugee camps think everyone in the US is rich and has an easy life - learning the truth can be depressing. Also, thousands of lost boys had banded together when their families were killed. They did everything together. But in the US - they are spread out across the country -- no longer close -- it can be quite lonely. Additionally, with very few Sudanese women here, the opportunity to marry and continue their culture is challenged.

But, in spite of all this, the film is not depressing. These amazing young men find a way to adapt - yet be true to their heritage.