Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 270 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 377 reviews
on March 7, 2017
Penn is no doubt a highly intelligent person, and he is an entertaining writer. As other reviewers have said, only part of the book is about atheism, the rest is self-admitted rambling on various topics from his life. Some of the stories work into the central theme better than others, and some I was left wondering what the point was in even mentioning them. Regardless, if you are a fan of theirs or their excellent Showtime series you will probably enjoy this book.
on June 16, 2015
Penn's usual straight-forward and to the point delivery is there...........and then followed by a bunch of hilarious and funny and surprisingly heartfelt stories that didn't have a whole lot to with the original premise of the chapter. Or at least Penn failed to tie them in well enough to make the point most of the time. I'm an athiest and skeptic myself, and was really hoping for more substance and thought provoking words, and less stories.
VINE VOICEon October 23, 2015
First off, this book IS NOT A NOVEL but the views and experiences of Penn Jillette. I have been an atheist ever since I learned to think for myself and realized the vengeful, vicious and jealous God belief was a myth and not any more real than the Easter bunny. In fact, there may even be more evidence for an Easter bunny than an all-knowing supreme being. When I read the informational excerpt about this book (God, No! Signs you may already be an Atheist and other magical tales by Penn Jillette) I immedieatly purchased this volume at a bargain price on Amazon.

This humorous and irreverent 231 page hardcover book made me laugh. The author gives his own special interpretation of the “Ten Commandments, making them The Penn Commandments. Penn does not pull any punches has he exposes the silly and irrational aspects of believing in a God.

This book is organized into ten chapters (The Bible’s 1, 2, 3, 4,5,6,7, 8. 9, and 10) as Penn explores numerous aspects of his life. Some of the material in this revealing and humorous book include, King of the Ex-Jews, Auto-Tune, tattoos, and big fake tits, Agnostics: No one can know for sure, but I believe they’re full of S*** I also couldn’t get laid in a women’s prison with a fistful of pardons, Up your Santa Claus Lane, why I’m a Libertarian nut instead of just a nut, the three dogmas that hurt Americans most, pitching bulls*** while in mourning, Nixon the aristocrat, it’s not the heat, it’s the stupidity, the greatest story ever told, and Atheism is the only real hope against terrorism.

I found this book entertaining, humorous and even enlightening. If you are open minded and question religious dogma you should check out this interesting and thought provoking book

Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Never Trust a Politician: A critical look at politics and politicians).
on April 3, 2014
"You don't have to be very smart, fast, or funny to be an atheist. You don't have to be well educated. Being an atheist is simply saying, 'I don't know'."--Loc 80

GOD NO! is god awful. Especially the first half, or so, where Jillette seems hell-bent to out 'Howard-Stern' Howard Stern with juvenile raunch. Way too much information.

The second half is better--the 'Afterword' is very much worth reading--but still there's far too much recourse to too vulgar imagery.

Penn Jillette has long been an admired champion of individual liberty, with much to offer on the subject. Packaging his good ideas in sleaze, however, is distracting and cheapens the product.

Recommendation: Read, instead, Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, Shermer, Jacoby, Ali, Ingersoll, Mencken, Twain, Barnum, Hayek, Ringer, Randi, Rothbard, or Rand. Their writings may tend toward the less visceral--but at least you won't get your metaphorical face rubbed in metaphorical body fluids.

(NB: If by chance you are, or think like, a hormonal fourteen year old boy, feel free to disregard this recommendation--but read those other folks, too.)

"There's a world of safety in doubt. The respect for faith, the celebration of faith is dangerous."--Loc 3211

Kindle edition, 224 pages, 3229 Locs
on June 7, 2013
First, a warning. If you are a frail lady librarian from the heartland, are of a certain age, or find strong language intolerable, you won't get past the Tourette's-like frequency of Jillette's &*#%s.

That being said, Penn Jillete has an eye for a humorous line, and it doesn't get much funnier than his thoughts on the power (or impotence) of religion. He takes on God (or as he consistently renders it, god) and church alike as a problem in today's society, and isn't shy about telling us why he feels neither has a place in our lives.

Much of the book is anecdotal in the extreme: we learn why his mother wasn't religious, and what his children do for the holiday season that falls at the end of the calendar year. A supremely moving story about the death of his mother provides an insight into a secular ceremony to replace a funeral service. Another hilarious tale shows us the power of breaking religious food laws, as he and Teller introduce an ex-Jew to a bacon cheeseburger at a restaurant named "Traif".

I enjoyed it thoroughly, mostly while "revering the porcelain god", but my simple testimony shouldn't sway you. Look inside, read a page or two and make up your own mind whether to buy in. After all, that's what Jillette is asking us to do with the various holy books we are heir to.

Can I get an Amen?
on September 25, 2011
I'm not going to lie, I love Penn Jillette. He's funny, free thinking, an out and proud atheist who isn't afraid to speak his mind. His stories are inevitably strange, funny and amazing. You wouldn't believe some of the things that he's done, said or seen happen. His way with a story is perfect, he can make anything funny (Including getting your genitalia burned in a hair dryer) and his tales are some of the more fun ones I've heard. The only problem to this book that I have personally is that it's not so much about religion, as it is Penn telling stories from his life and occasionally linking them up to a religious theme. Now I am absolutely fine with every single story Penn tells, he tells brilliant ones and by the end of the book you will have laughed at least once every single chapter without fail. He has a lot of insane stories that could only happen to a nut like himself, but with a book that is meant to be about religion (At least that's the implication) I did expect a little more god bashing and a little less Penn bashing.

All in all though, it's a book you can enjoy no matter what your religious background, you don't need to be an atheist to enjoy this... it helps, but you don't need to. It's got a little something for everybody, and everybody can enjoy a little something from the book
on September 4, 2014
Having been a huge fan of Penn and Teller for many years, I was very happy to have discovered that Penn is also a writer. I originally subscribed to Showtime just to see their series 'Bullshit'. I loved it and was sorry to see it go. I've seen their magic show in Vegas several times and will watch anything that Penn is currently the cast of. (Not that I'm not a fan of Teller's too, but you know he doesn't talk much.) His humor is wicked and raunchy, but totally enjoyable. He is so very outspoken in public and I really like that too. I find that I agree with his views on 90% of his observations. I have no problem with his Atheism, but instead have learned a lot from it. He's got some really great points to make. If you have an open mind or even if you don't you should read this book. It's pretty awesome.
on April 22, 2014
I purchased this book because I figured I was going to be amused by stories of awkwardness the author, Penn Jillete, experienced for being an atheist. Instead, it's a series of tales with lots of name-dropping of people I'm supposed to know. I know some of the people he mentions, but I don't think he "being friends with Joe Doe" is of any relevance for anything. Also, a lot of stories about women he slept with, and a lot about his career. I guess the book must be interesting for one who is a fan or watches his show, maybe if I ever watched I'd enjoy the book. But I almost gave up on it because also I found him sexist and sometimes offensive to women (like when he says he met someone hot who is 'too crazy to f...'). I mildly enjoyed the stories about his sister not telling on him if he was the unnabomber, and the one about the hair blow dryer. But that's it for me. I won't read it again.
on November 1, 2015
I was hoping for a little more from this book.
If you're not prepared for it let me warn you that this book is full of language and other stories that some may find distasteful.
But I enjoyed reading about Penn and his views.

Of course there's nothing new in here, a lot of the same arguments levelled against Christianity as normal.

Where Penn goes off is in his comparing 9/11 with other faiths. He loves painting all religion with the same brush and then making straw man arguments, using circular reasoning, for his beliefs.

I appreciated his humour and honesty.
on September 13, 2015
I read the book over a few days and was amazed that Penn and I looked at things so much alike. It's just stories, most are interesting to say the least and the rest caused me to laugh out loud several times. Its been awhile since a non-fiction book caused me to LOL. I'll probably re-read it at some point. I feel like I want to meet the guy after reading his book, he tells it like it is! Now i think I'm an atheist too and while i felt that way before I never really gave it a lot of thought. I say thanks to Penn for being so open about the subject. I'm now writing my own novel called "Santa Claus No!" j/k :-)