Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: God Said, Ha!: A Memoir
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Tall Heights Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 30, 2001
Since I've had cancer, lots of people give me books on the topic. It's not often I actually read one all the way through, and the only one I really LOVED was "Bald in the Land of Big Hair" by Joni Rodgers, because it's really hilarious and not about cancer so much as it's about the rollercoaster of life. This book is a close second to "Bald" -- funny and able to be really cool about life and death issues. I couldn't stand that Pat skit on SNL, but Julia is a wonderful writer!
on November 6, 2001
Julia Sweeney's God Said Ha! is a marvel of a book. The book is about Sweeney's life, and her struggles. One minte it's funny, the next is heartbreaking and touching. The real beauty of the book, and Sweeney's wonderful writing, is that the book can be heartbreaking AND funny at the same time. The book deals with her brother Michael's bout of cancer. He moved in and she took care of him, while maintaining her sucessful career. Then, in a horrib;e twist of fate, Julia learns that she has cervical cancer. The same kind of cancer that claimed the life of Sweeney's SNL peer Gilda Radner. Luckily, Julia survived. The book also touches on her parents, who are told about in a truly hysterical way. How many parents are like this?. The book is a swift read. It's very easy to get into and read in almost one sitting. I actually got to meet Ms. Sweeney on a few ocassions. My family babysat her niece and nephew. She came to my house as well. We were also lucky enough to be invited to the premiere of her 'Pat' movie, as well as a reading from the book by Sweeney herself. She is a sweet, lovely person. This book is sweet as well. A good read. Trust me.
on May 18, 2001
julia sweeney has taken a hideous life situation and turned it into a bittersweet one woman show. its uplifting, life affirming and touching. julia has accomplished the difficult task of taking circumstances that could have done someone else in and turn it into a touching and funny show. bravo!!!!
on April 13, 1999
Julia Sweeney manages to do what seems impossible: to find hope and humour in a devastating situation, as she supports her brother's ultimately unsuccessful battle with cancer, then faces her own experience with cancer. This book is witty and frank, and it brought both tears and laughter as I read it. For anyone facing cancer, or struggling to cope with the disease in someone they love, this book will provide a cheering diversion. It's a great "waiting-room" read, too, and should be a staple in every cancer clinic and hospital library.
on December 15, 2000
I have always been a big fan of Julia Sweeney. When I found out that she had written a book I was pumped to get my hands on it. Finally when I picked up the book and started reading it, I was simply amazed. I could not put the book down. This book is full of emotions. I laughed, cried, sympathized and laughed some more. In this book she shares the hardships of the divorce from her true love,childhood memories,her family,and the main focus was when the news came that her younger brother,Mike,had cancer. She wrote about her family all comming together in a time of greif. I loved the title of her book. When I first heard it was wondering how it fit the book. To my surprize it fit it to a "Tee". Just as she thought her life was panning out "God Said,"Ha".
on October 26, 1997
This book is a truly wonderful reminder that life is really what you make of it. Ms. Sweeney went through a year that was tragic both for herself and the people she loves. She does not deny the pain of these experiences but appears to have gained insight and appreciation for herself and life (even though it appears she had a great deal of this before her horrendous ordeal). I would like to thank her very much for sharing. I hope she feels very rewarded that there are many of us out here that will now remember Mike as well.
on August 25, 1997
Julia Sweeney uses a breezy style--similar to a friend relating life stories over a cup of tea--to share her deepest sadness and remarkable courage in this emotional roller-coaster of a book. If you've ever felt alone when your world is crashing down, pick up this book and get inspired. I highly recommend this title
on November 2, 1998
Surprisingly upbeat book, considering the subject matter. Ms. Sweeney has a knack for seeing the humor in not-so-humorous situations. The only negative...that this book was so short! Hope to see more from her in the future.
on June 29, 2009
What a book! You will adore Julia Sweeney! My daughters and myself flew through this book and was sad when we finished! Julia, with her incredible way of looking at every situation, whether it be the worst on earth or happy times really makes the reader appreciate her humor and candid way of dealing with it all! She is an asset to earth, and I am glad God sent her here to help us look at life and do one of those great big "HA, HA, HA'S" too!
on January 10, 2013
Sweeney's writing is easy to read and her story is touching. I l iked her monologue better, but this is yet another insight into her life. She is a delight and has a way of bringing us into her life. n every page I'd have liked MORE--of her thinking, of the details of her world.
Elaine Jordan