Truck Season Automotive HPC Magazine Deals Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 10, 2017
I find Jay Michaelson's writing a pleasure to read. He's very clear and easy to understand. And he adds just enough personal details and autobiographical anecdotes to introduce himself to the reader as compassionate and sensitive. He comes across as a good man whose thoughts and arguments we ought to listen to.

God vs. Gay? makes the sensible argument that Judeo-Christian morality with all its emphasis on compassion, love of neighbor, help for strangers should naturally be open to understanding and accepting LGBT people. What can it mean to "love your neighbor" if you discriminate against people for simply being who they truly are and telling the truth about that?

Michaelson very thoroughly explains the various supposedly anti-gay verses in the Scriptures. He writes from a highly-educated Jewish context, and explains the stories in Genesis and rules in Leviticus better than I've ever come across. And because he is a wise and broad-thinking eclectic, he can write about the Christian Scriptures as well. And then go beyond the words of any particular tradition to the "real meaning" of all religious teaching.

This is a VERY good book for preparing yourself for a Biblical argument with an anti-gay opponent in a debate or with a confused and upset parent who only wants the best for their child AND needs to understand what's in the Bible and religious teachings.

Especially for those with Biblical convictions who want to find the true meaning of the text, this is a wonderful introduction to the religion-and-homosexuality issue.

Reviewed by Toby Johnson, author of Finding Your Own True Myth: What I Learned from Joseph Campbell
on April 13, 2016
This is one of the best books I have read on the subject of what the Bible says (and doesn't say) on the subject of homosexual behavior. Jay Michaelson has helped to confirm and clarify my beliefs that the conventional wisdom regarding homosexuality is based on mistranslated and/or misinterpreted snippets of scripture, taken out of context and quoted without regard to the historical and cultural background that underlie these ancient writings. How many Christians today know what pederasty was, and why it is important to our understanding of both Old and New Testament passages? How many understand what a very low status women held in ancient societies, so much so, that even a "righteous" man like Lot would not hesitate to suggest that a group of vicious men rape his own two daughters rather than harm the two angelic visitors he entertained in his home? If you will take another serious look at the 19th chapter of Genesis and the 19th chapter of Judges, you will understand why it is my conviction that the men of Sodom were not even gay. Thank you, Mr. Michaelson for an objectively and comprehensively written book.
5 people found this helpful
on December 7, 2014
Great, thought provoking book. Michaelson tackled this difficult subject with intelligence, humor, and grace. The issue of whether or not homosexuality is portrayed as a forbidden sin in the Bible and Torah or not is often every emotional. People on both sides of the argument become angry and hateful people when they argue their case. Thankfully, Michaelson has listened to the hearts and concerns of those with whom he disagrees with and tackles the most intimate, and difficult aspects of this dilemma throughly. I enjoyed the author's intelligent writing style, but I appreciated his love for those on both sides of the issue most of all. I would quickly recommend this book to anyone seeking to learn more about this subject. Thank you Jay Michaelson.
on February 20, 2015
Basing his "theology" on love Michaelson summarizes much modern thought on gay history and spirituality but does it in a very unique blend of fact and overall Biblical meaning. Just as Jesus summarized the two greatest commandments for us, Michaelson puts gay acceptance and spirituality in the framework of Biblical love, justice and mercy. I highly recommend this book.
on May 19, 2017
Have only read first couple chapters and am enjoying it very much.
would likely give it 5 stars once I'm done!
on July 26, 2017
Wonderfully insightful book. Very well written. Thank you
on April 28, 2016
Reading through this book for a group study...so far enjoying it very much
on February 26, 2012
I'm not a man of much words. I will summarize it with this ones: It changed my life... not saying that after reading it things are going extraordinary, BUT it did helped me find who I really am, it helped me realize how amazing is God's love. It's profound, since the author is a scholar, he does know what he is talking about, and so refreshing to read.

If you are having any problems with your faith and your sexuality, I HIGHLY recommend you to read this book.-I ask for forgiveness to the author, because this words aren't definitively enough to express this book's accomplishment-

Best whishes! Hope it comes in handy as it did to me.

God bless you!

JS
8 people found this helpful
on January 6, 2013
I have heard Jay speak many times. He is always so passionate and real. His book reflects his passion and puts a perspective out there that we don't always see. He goes to Universities, conferences, temples and more to speak and promote his book. He is very dynamic and always a delight to hear. He also writes for many publications and does not only focus on his book title, rather uses a more holistic approach to his writings and interviews. Sometimes I wonder how so much knowledge can be stored in one mind. I highly recommend.
5 people found this helpful
on July 3, 2016
Every Synagogue should have this!