Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

God's Paintbrush: Tenth Anniversary Edition
Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 4, 2000
Broaching the subject of "God" and answering children's questions about God is not easy. "God's Paintbrush" is a wonderful springboard for exploring and discussing the question of God and is written in a way that will stimulate thinking about God and our relationship to God by both children and adults.
The book uses non-sectarian and non-sexist language which many readers will probably appreciate, since so many books refer to God as a "He."
Rather than defining God, the author helps children explore God and their relationship to God through moments in their own lives. "I wonder if God has a big lap to curl up in just like Mom's and strong arms like Dad's to lift me up and catch me when I fall."
When a child looses a tooth in order to make room for a new one, he wonders if the trees mind losing their leaves in the fall or if the snow minds melting to make room for spring..."I think God paints the leaves bright colors in the fall and makes the sun warm in spring because God likes changes. God likes the world to grow."
The book is interactive as each page ends with questions directly related to the text that help children explore God and their relationship to God.
The illustrations are colorful and comforting, showing people from different races.
I highly recommend "God's Paintbrush," especially for those who are looking to explore the meaning of God with their children. It will engage and stimulate the religious imagination of children and help them to think of God as a special friend.
on March 12, 2017
This is a favorite book for my 6 year old granddaughter. She loves art so we love the images and imaginings in the book.
on April 23, 2015
My 6 year old son loves this book, but my husband hates it. It asks lots of questions throughout, which my son enjoys and husband hates. The illustrations are beautiful. I don't mind the questions myself. Open ended, great way to introduce God and empathy. As a parent , you can guide the answers to the questions to focus on the lessons you would like to teach.
on April 4, 2013
I was looking for something to introduce generic "religion" or as some say "spirituality" to my four year old. This is just a lovely book that illustrates all different types of beauty ranging from scenarios to races and genders with warmth and kindness.
on December 30, 2014
Lovely booK that can touch the heart and soul of anyone who reads it. Introspective.
on July 1, 2009
This is a wonderful book that opens a child's imagination to what God might be like. Adults, who live in the conditioning they have acquired throughout their lives, would certainly benefit from it as well. Beautiful multicultural illustrations.
on July 7, 2013
my daughter loves this book, it teaches not only about god but general kidness and love. a great book for any child
on November 2, 2011
An ideal interactive book for young children whose parents are interested in their spiritual formation. I took delight in reading to my youngest grandson. Nathan Brooks
on June 20, 2014
|ILLUSTRATED BY| Annette Compton
|BOOK FORMAT| hard cover
|BOOK PAGES| 32 pages
|BOOK ISBN| 1-58023-195-0 Special Tenth Anniversary Edition
BOOK COPYRIGHT| 2004-Jewish Lights Publishing: For people of ALL faiths: ALL backgrounds!
• This outstanding book recipient of the Special Merit Award endorsed by the Emeritus President of Notre Dame Reverend Theodore M. Hesburgh C.S.C. and further endorsed by Christian Theological Seminary Professor Nellie G. Slater should be, must be in the Judaica Shops of all of our Synagogues and Temples (Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, and Reconstructionist) and in the Hillel Centers for Jewish Life on all of our Universities and our College campuses.
• Our Vacation Bible Schools should obtain copies of this award-winning text!
• Our libraries of any and all of our Theological Seminaries (Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish including Orthodox, Conservative, Reformed, and Reconstructionist) should most definitely consider the feasibility of having copies available on their Reserved Shelves.
• Our clergy who consider co-officiating at (Interfaith) especially and particularly Jewish-Christian Marriages should both first read this book and should recommend this book to the Bridal Couple and to their Families-of-Origin prior to and before performing their Marriage (wedding) Ceremony!
• I plan to read my copy to my five Ecumenical Grandchildren {Two Irish Catholic and Three Jewish}.
on February 14, 2009
God's Paintbrush, written by Sandy Eisenberg Sasso and illustrated by Annette Compton, is a different kind of picture book. It does not have a central character (or characters) and it does not tell a story. It is more a collection of vignettes about everyday situations that children encounter. Each short narrative is followed by a question, or questions, that connects the issue with how God fits into our lives.

One example is that of a young boy talking about his best friend moving away. He says he is sad and he hurts inside. The question is then asked, "What do you think makes God hurt?" Another example is a scene where Mom and Dad are tucking their child into bed, giving him hugs and kisses. The question, "What does God's touch feel like to you?" makes you think about being able to "feel" God's presence. All the concepts help to illustrate how God relates to all aspects of our lives. The questions that go along with each scene are thought-provoking and sometimes unusual. No answers are given to the questions. This allows the reader to think about the ideas and come up with answers on their own.

What I Like: I like the different format for the book, as well as the variety of scenarios and situations presented. The language of the text is also beautiful. It's quite poetic and invokes powerful mental images. One example is: "I think the wind is God's breath moving through the world, making it come alive."

What I Dislike: The watercolor illustrations are colorful, and represent many multicultural issues and cultures, but they are a bit sloppy in appearance. I think they distract from the text rather than add to it.

The title of the book was also somewhat misleading. Because it is called God's Paintbrush, I thought it would be filled with beautiful artwork representing God's wonder and glory in the natural world. However, the only mention of "God's paintbrush" is on the first page: "A sunbeam peeked in my window this morning, and painted a rainbow on my wall. I think the sunbeam is God's paintbrush dipped in a watercolor sea, painting clouds and coloring our world." With the exception of this first page, the title seems to reflect the "painting" of the pictures that illustrate each different concept about God.

Overall Rating: Good.

Age Appeal: According to the publisher, the book is meant for 9-12-year-olds. This is probably because the reading level is too high and the book too long for younger readers to make it through on their own. However, I think 4-8-year-olds would enjoy the book, if read aloud to them, and broken down into small chunks, as the book is rather lengthy for a picture book.

Christine M. Irvin - Christian Children's Book Review