Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,398 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,667 reviews
on May 2, 2017
I like A. American's style of writing; it makes me long for stronger family values, southern cooking, and adventure. Follow the story of Morgan Carter, an average guy that took a few steps to prepare himself for emergency's. He has to use his wits and everything he has learned to survive in the hell that was once our beautiful country. A man determined to get home to his family, along with a few friends he picks up along the way.
Informative, thought-provoking, and a real page-turner, it has become one of my favorite books. I've read the entire series twice now, and it all started with this book.
on May 3, 2017
This is a great book (series of books). I'm fortunate because I live in the area the story takes place in so I can relate to some of the references in the book a little easier. I've read all of them, up to 7 and I just started number 8. If you're looking for a manual on how to prepare for the ultimate disaster, this isn't the place. There are some great pointers you can get out of this, but the books seem to be more about action, drama, and telling a fictional story for enjoyment. Highly recommended, I haven't been able to put them down.
on August 30, 2016
3 AND 1/2 STARS

I heard this author interviewed on a podcast and was intrigued with the premise and his personal expertise in survival strategies and decided to give this book a try. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. While the writing is very simple, the storytelling is engaging and the characters are fairly interesting and likable. The details involving gear were specific but not overly descriptive in a way that distracted from the story. For the most part, every action and character decision felt believable.

I enjoyed the progressive danger the main character began to experience as each day without power increased the tension and likelihood of something bad happening. A few parts could have used a better editor to rework some repetitive words, but it was mostly a smooth read. My only other complaint was the shift in perspective when, halfway through the book, the author branches off from the protagonist Morgan Carter to other characters. It felt awkward at first, and although I enjoyed reading Carter more, the other side stories had some decent excitement as well. I'll be checking out the second book in the series, for sure.
on August 14, 2017
Great book and had me hooked from chapter 1. Novel 1 has long chapters and some grammatical mistakes but sense the content was intriguing, it didn't bother me much. I highly recommend to read, even if you aren't a survivalist.

A American opens your eyes to what could really happen if there is a major failure with our electrical grid system and/or an EMP strike.
on August 2, 2016
The main character MORGAN is working his way home and getting involved in a number of touchy to dangerous and eventually vicious encounters with people as civilization degrades further and further day after day. The thoughts he has are pretty typical for me anyway and for anyone that has thought through similar events of a collapsing civilization. It starts out pretty rough in the first 5 days after the EMP event and the situations he finds himself in are typical given that civilization is a thin veneer. Everyone would not experience all of these events but the author wants to show how he gages a proper reaction should be to a given hostility. Buy it and read at least the first 71 pages if you are interested in surviving what is coming to begin getting your mind set, you game face on. He gives ideas what to use, what to bring to the fight, how unprepared the bulk of humanity really is and how they die along the way. The only problem I have with the author is all of the little personal thought, ideas mannerisms the characters have that are non essential and really slow the book down. I have read the whole series and some of it is just too slow and wordy.
on January 10, 2016
To me personally, the writing was boring and at times, poor. The first person narration ended up being more like a list style, such as "I did this then I did this and this" which bores me. A good chunk of the book talks about survival equipment, which is cool and interests readers, but not in the list style narration. There are long paragraphs dedicated to what was taken out of what bag, and it is so repetitive over the 500 pages I find it unnecessary. But that's my opinion. There are also some other characters in this book you encounter along the way who narrate certain chapters, and the humor between them is very cheesy. I found myself laughing at the book rather than with the characters, and again, just my opinion. Overall for what I was expecting, this book was too long for the material it covers. It would be a better read if it was cut in half because most of the details are pointless and do not aid in the story line advancement. This is the first in a series of 5 I believe, but I do not plan to continue reading the others. I feel like the author had a good story line set up, but the execution of it throughout the book missed the mark. For example, the main character has a wife and 3 daughters, and you don't learn the names of his daughters until halfway through the story. He barely touches on the man's personal life, and if this is a book about the character trying everything to return to his family, I would have liked to know him and his family better in order to relate to him and actually emotionally invest in the book. I am disappointed. If you are looking for a similar story line with better details and writing, I would suggest the book One Second After and the sequel, One Year After by William Forstchen. I finished them the day before starting this book, and they are by far superior in terms of storyline, emotional investment in the characters,and being much more realistic. I thought this would be very similar to those books as the basic storyline is the same, however I was disappointed.
on December 24, 2013
I was a bit iffy about buying this one given the reviews. Clearly this is a good story if you ignore the stupid paranoia and gear stuff, but that’s the thing, they’re hard to ignore. It has the potential to be great. The story starts off with the main character, Morgan, breaking down on an Interstate highway outside of Tallahassee in Florida, USA and follows him as he tries to make his way home to Altoona Florida. Along the way he makes friends, encounters trouble and shoots people dead.

As a non-American this was a difficult read. It took me a long time to realise that DHS did not stand for Department of Human Services like it does in Australia, but was for Department of Homeland Services. That wasn’t explained till the protagonist was almost home. Also calling hippies Rainbow people was a bit unusual. So was the whole gear freak and gun culture stuff. I’m sure if you read other reviews you would have found people saying how annoying that is. I read that and was prepared for it, so I thought, but gee it was damn annoying! I lost track of what was what. I recall the devil dog thing was a backpack and the AK was a gun, but why couldn’t the writer just call them a backpack or a gun? Or a big backpack or the automatic gun?

Having said that, the story was a great read, quite believable to the point that Sarge and his mates were introduced. The whole premise that the Department of Homeland security were out to get people was just nuts. I thought I could hear banjos playing as that part of the plot was unfolding. Speaking of plot holes, in one part of the book it reads that Sarge and co went downstream, then it reads upriver and then it is clear he went downriver after all.

Overall it is a great read until Morgan makes it home and then it just falls in a heap. It could have done with a bit of editing or just ending it when Morgan does make it home. From then on the story degrades and was not worth reading. Half of me want to say it was a great book. The other half of me want to point out that it is a weird glimpse into the weird sub culture of preppers, the ones that give the other preppers who just save a bit of spare food, a bad name.

Not a brilliant book, but not terrible either, hence 3 out of 5. If you likes “One second after” you should like this. Yes, I know this a very indecisive review, but well, so is the book.
on January 6, 2016
I bought the entire series and read them all. I think if you're going to critique the storyline you should read them all before doing so.

The EMP part of the storyline is somewhat realistic, but the federal government is the evil bad guy part I could have done without. DHS doesn't posses enough personnel to overtake Florida, much less the entire nation. That said, what I really liked about the series is the community and relationships. In any catastrophe your friends, family and neighbors are who you will depend on. They come together nicely to make a more realistic survival scenario. They share supplies, develop structure, grow food, and everyone has a role.

The author has a decent understanding about gear. Whether you agree or not about if he could walk 250 miles with a 60 lbs rucksack is one thing, but he gives some neat ideas about what to carry.

His knowledge about the geography of the Ocala area is really good. I grew up in that area so it allowed me to picture the story better.

The grammar wasn't that big of a deal to me, as some have complained about. There are some grammar issues, but it doesn't distract from the books overall.

I recommend this series for the simple fact that you'll get some really ideas for gear, survival and what to do with your community should something like this SHTF scenario ever come to fruition. It's entertaining, but you won't find it on any bestseller list. The characters in this book are pretty realistic and if you read the entire series you really get to know them well. Overall I think the author did a really good job.
on October 23, 2015
This is the first book in a series about a prepper who is caught a few hundred miles from home after an EMP attack. First, I will make a few technical comments. I have read a lot of reviews on here that talk about the atrocious editing, misspelled words, etc. Some of that is definitely true. However, it seems to me that some of the misspelled words were on purpose, in an attempt to recreate a backwoods southern drawl. Morgan, the main character, slips into the same drawl even though he rarely uses it during the rest of the book. That is certainly inconsistent. Also, the editing improves as you go. Yes, the author does give a lot of brand names of equipment and other items, which I find unobtrusive and helpful. Now, I bought the Kindle version, and like most Kindle products, there are a few grammatical errors and misspellings here and there. However, they really don't affect the excellent, action packed story line. I found the first quarter of the book to be slow moving, which is often the case in novels where the author spends a lot of time trying to develop the characters before diving into the real "meat" of the story. The story really does pick up steam, though, and by the end of the book, I found it very hard to put down. I am now nearly done with book 2 in the series, and either the editing got better, or I am used to it. Regardless, book 2 is a real "page turner". I find myself rooting for the characters, being shocked at some of their actions, and have even laughed and smiled at some of the turns in the story. I am very much looking forward to reading the rest of the series. I gave this book 4 stars because of the editing issues. Book 2 will easily get a 5 star review from me. The books are getting better as they go, which would be expected assuming these are the authors first attempts at writing full length novels on a budget. Be advised that, especially in book 2, there are quite a few "F" bombs dropped, but they don't seem gratuitous. They fit the characters and the narrative. All in all, this book and the rest of the series have been great reads. If you are a fan of "prepper fiction" or other dystopian themed books, you will love it.
on November 13, 2016
A rather interesting book, and series since I ordered the next three. A plausible scenario that intrigued me from the start as I am from Florida and lived in Lake Count. I liked the way it started and his explanation of the preparedness and items he carried with him. As far as he trek home it was probably realistic with what one could expect. If there was a detractor to the story (and the series) it was the conspiracy theorist's delight of a government out of control, and though I am not a fan of some of our more recent administrations, it did stretch the imagination, perhaps to the breaking point. Still it is an interesting series though I wonder if my opinion will change after four books! As a ham radio operator I appreciate the usefulness of the radios, and I have one of the same models he references, so his research is pretty good. Let's stay tuned (no pun intended!)>