Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Going Home
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$4.99

on February 23, 2011
I really, really liked this book. There is something about the way that Evelyn Palfrey writes that makes me feel instantly connected and comfortable with her characters - like I've known them for a long time...back to the book - really good story, would have liked for it to have gone on much longer than it did - am hoping that there will be a sequel.
on February 27, 2011
Going Home is a story set in the aftermath of Katrina. We meet Joe and Thalia who are grapping with life changes and issues with teens who impact decisions they will make. Joe is homeless as many were after Katrina and is in Austin until he can go back to New Orleans. Thalia along with her granddaughter Mishay, are volunteers at the Austin Convention Center. Joe who wants to earn some money to get back to New Orleans says he is looking for work and Thalia has some chores she could use some help with. Want to know more..? Buy the book and get to reading..! As usual, Ms. Palfrey writes a story for a mature audience that drew me in from page one and I couldn't stop reading until I found out how everything turned out for all. If you haven't read all her books, your missing out as she writes wonderful stories about people you feel you know or want to meet. I look forward to her next book.
on July 12, 2015
Going Home is a contemporary romance story set in Austin, Texas. The heroine, retired office worker, Thalia Allen specializes in taking in orphans—her granddaughter Mishay and a father/son combo, Joe Lambert and Kyobe, who ended up in Austin after Hurricane Katrina ran them out of New Orleans.

The story opens with a snapshot of Thalia and Mishay in their routine home/school/church/life activities; a routine that quickly alters when Thalia allows Joe and Kyobe to move into her home. Thus starts a slow, respectful buildup to romance and love between the adults while the two teenagers struggle with their own teenage issues: school work, peer pressure, cliques, dating, violence, college, etc. Encapsulating all four story lines is the natural evolution into a family unit; an outcome that makes them all emotionally stronger, secure and happy. Just as the family is strengthening and everyone is settling into their natural place, Joe blows the family apart with an announcement: he is returning to New Orleans to resume his life there. It’s a heartbreaker for Kyobe and Mishay, but especially for Thalia who has given Joe her heart and has come to rely on him. Joe moves back home and is in New Orleans for several months before he comes to the realization that his life, his happiness, his heart is not in New Orleans, but in Austin. Acknowledging this, he returns to Austin to immediate acceptance by everyone except Thalia. She maintains a hard line with him until he proves he's there for good by asking her to be his wife. They reunite, the family reunites, and they all live forever in love.

Like most romance stories, this is not action-driven but character-driven. We see a satisfying arch of the major characters, including the teenagers. By the end of the story they are more expansive, changed and for the better. The storyline follows a logical line of progression with plot twists in appropriate places, valid emotional ups and downs, and realistic behavior. The settings and descriptions enhance the story and the pacing is appropriate for a romance story. Of course the ending worked. It is after all a romance and the boy always gets the girl.

A plus I think readers will enjoy is the cast of characters. There was enough diversity—from thievin’ thug to sassy, low self-esteem teen to independent contractor to retiree—to make me wonder how Thalia was going to make a family of this rag-tag bunch. I should have known love conquers all.

The one hole in the story was the missing conversation between grandmother and granddaughter regarding her sexual status after being on the road with a hormone-driven young male. I also did not care for so many church scenes but that’s just me and my personal reading preference.

I believe readers will enjoy this story. It is an intelligent read that can easily jump off fiction pages to represent real life.
on May 2, 2011
Evelyn Palfrey says she writes romance for the 'marvelously mature' and she does. She also writes for anyone who wants a 'good read'. Her characters, Thalia, a good woman who nervously wonders if she's been too good. Mishay, who think her grandmother is definitely too good. Joe and Kyobe know for sure she's a good woman when she rescues them from the Austin Convention Center where they landed after escaping from Hurricane Katrina, are so true to life. Together and apart, these characters are interesting, human, and funny. Their trials and tribulations, and the budding romance between Thalia and Joe will warm your heart, even as the cleverly interwoven scenes of New Orleans in the aftermath of the disaster will make you shudder. I never miss an Evelyn Palfrey book and she never disappoints. One more for the 'keeper shelf'.
on October 21, 2012
This was a good story! I picked this book up in Austin for my mother and sister back in 2011 when I was there for a visit. Unbeknownst to me there was a black book writer's convention going on at a local community center. I stopped by just in time to catch Evelyn do a reading from this novel. I picked it up and gave it to my peeps when I got to Georgia. Fast forward a year and I finally download it for my Kindle and am so glad I did. Not only was this a good story it was a fast read. Why fast? Because I kept wanting to know what was going to happen next and was reading it every chance I got. Bravo Evelyn! Thalia, Joe, Mishay and Kyobe all spoke to me with each of their stories.
on February 13, 2011
Going Home is the story of a proud man and an even "prouder" woman. Joe and Thalia are two mature people who meet under
difficult circumstances. A hurricane named Katrina bought them together and separated them as well. But when it was all said
and done, Joe had to ask, "where is home"? Was it a place, a city that had changed so much, or was it in a new city, place where
soo much more was waiting, and was really "home".

As a major fan of Ms Palfrey's mature characters, I felt right at home with this story. After a bit of a slow start, I found
myself reading further than my planned stopping point, because I wanted to see where Thalia and Joe were going to take me.
Eventually, they took me home, where I felt the love that was waiting for them.
Read it, feel it.......take it home!
on March 25, 2011
Thalia is raising her granddaughter, Mishay, who has been faced with some hard times due to her parents. She is a hard worker in her church and is teaching her granddaughter the same values. She comes across Joe Lambert while working and he offers to do some work around her house for her and she soon finds her heart warming to him and opens her home to him and Kyobe, whom Joe is claiming to be his nephew. Joe Lambert has a very big decision to make; he has to determine which is home for him, New Orleans where he is traveling back to to see what is left of his house after Hurricane Katrina and Rita or in Austin with Thalia. He will soon learn that you don't have to own a house to have a home because home is where your heart is.
Ms. Palfrey did a wonderful job with this book and I give it 5 stars. This is a wonderful read and I highly suggest it.
on April 22, 2011
Once again Evelyn Palfrey creates a can't put down novel. Going Home was on my Kindle the day I found out it was available. It is a wonderful story that has the components you would expect from Ms Palfrey, romance, struggles, hardships, and real life issues. Being a fellow Austinite, I love reading about the places her characters go in Austin and then going to those places and imaging her characters there. Sometimes I actually read where they are and stop reading until I can get to the location and then start reading again. Silly, maybe, but it makes the characters more real. I love spunk she created in the teenagers in the story and the strong sense of family that the young man had. His drvie and determination to reconnect with his kin was touching and refreshing. The fact that she allows us "seasoned women" to have romance geared towards us is an added plus. She is descriptive in her love scenes without being disgusting or offensive. Keep up the good work Evelyn. Looking forward to your next best seller!!!
on July 28, 2011
I am so happy that Evelyn wrote this story for us. Evelyn writes romance novels for the marvelously mature. The story is set in Austin Texas, one of the cities who welcomed the desperate homeless people after Katrina ravaged New Orleans.

In Going Home I met Thalia Allen who has a life that is pleasant and orderly. She has settled into her life raising her granddaughter, Mishay. Their life centers on church activities and giving their time to the community.
And then she meets Joe Lambert and he turns her world upside down. At one point in the story Thalia said she thought that (romantic) part of her life was over. Joe shows her it is never over, 'til it's over.

This story is well written, the language flows smoothly and you are engaged in the story right away. The young people in the story, Kyobe a young man Joe took under his wing in New Orleans and Thalia's granddaughter cause some drama which only adds to the tale.

I like the Joe Lambert character and was impressed with the way Evelyn is able to understand men and their feelings enough to help us understand why some men make the odd decisions they do.

I enjoyed this Going Home by Evelyn Palfrey and I think you will too.
on March 16, 2016
This is a charming and heartwarming story set in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The characters are real and well-portrayed and it's easy to feel empathy for all of them. The mature age romance of Thalia and Joe is deftly handled and never descends into mawkish sentimentality. All the ends are neatly tied up in a happy-ever-after ending, which may not have worked in another book, but in this book the story demands it and it's what the reader wants.