- "If you want to find out what it's like to scrap for hits and live the dream of making it to the NCAA regional, 'Going with the Pitch,' puts you on the field from the first day of fall ball to the last out of the season."-JJ Cooper, Managing Editor, Baseball America
- "Ken Jacobi has captured the essence of what it is to be a college baseball player. It brought back memories of my own time as a college player. Well done!"-Dr. Mike Gustafson, Executive Director , National College Baseball Hall of Fame
- "If you are connected to college baseball in any way, 'Going with the Pitch' is a must read. Having been around amateur baseball for over forty years I can honestly say that Ken captures the spirit of the collegiate game like no other book written. I would recommend this to any player or his parent who wants to know more about the ins and outs of college baseball."-Jerry Ford President/Owner, Perfect Game USA, the largest amateur baseball scouting service in the world
- "'Going with the Pitch' tells the true story of what college sports is like as told from an "insider. "If you are an aspiring student-athlete this book was made for you. I highly recommend parents, players, and coaches alike read this book."-Dominick J. Ferraro, CEO, THR College Planning, LLC.
- "Ken, during his college career, figured out the same mental skills we teach at Personal Best Mental Toughness Training and applied them to actual, on-the-field situations, which ultimately led to his success and enjoyment. A thoroughly enjoyable and informational read!"-Pete Moscariello Co-Owner, Personal Best Mental Toughness Training
From the Author
I hope this book serves as part education and part entertainment. It is intended to offer my account of college baseball and what I learned from the process up on the dorms, in the classroom, and on the field. As the journey progresses, I leave you with my trials and tribulations in the hopes it helps guide the next generation of players (as well as coaches and parents).
Going through the journey myself, it seemed that every year I only read great stories about the top college and professional athletes who had super-successful seasons or careers. Every blog had the top 100 list of some category, every book was about the guy who signed for a million dollars, and every news clip talked of how Joe Schmo had set a new record. But the fact was that 99.9% of the athletes (and non-athletes) never make any national stories. Most have to simply fight and battle every day just to be their own success story.... This book is my "success story."
Over the course of 300+ pages I describe the full college experience, from getting recruited, to showing up for my first class in the fall, to the "big game," and finally to saying goodbye to baseball. Throughout it all, I recount my happy times, I share my low points, and I reveal my most vulnerable of times as well. I hope you enjoy this story, but more importantly I hope you are able to gain something by reading about my college experience and how I learned to adjust by "Going with the Pitch."