Truck Season Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Styx Gold
Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 24, 2014
Growing up, I wasn't much of a Styx fan, and I am still not much of a Styx fan. My friends loved them, but I was off listening to AC/DC in secret. However, I did enjoy several of their songs, so I decided to look for a greatest hits compilation that would get me the songs I enjoyed, but didn't require me to listen to any deeper cuts. I read through the reviews, and listened online to their various greatest hits albums, and this was the one that best covered my needs. I avoided the compilations that had remakes of Lady, and the ones that didn't have all the songs I wanted. This two CD set was the only compilation that had the original Lady and it managed to have every song that I was wanting to hear. As I said, I am not a fan, so there are quite a few songs on here that I have not heard, and I will probably never play again, but I really enjoyed around 18 of the songs, which is about half the compilation, and since it is being sold for the price of a single disc, it is a really good deal.
One person found this helpful
on May 6, 2004
OK. I'm a completist who owns every single Styx album ever made. That said, this collection was worth every nickel because of the remastering. Clean, clear, fresh and "in the room" sound on every carefully chosen track. This is by far the best ever Styx compilation. Every single album is represented (except 1999's "Brave New World" -- hence only 4 stars). I could bitch about what's not here but I won't, because what's here is so good! They included all the big hits plus some excellent album tracks (i.e. Pieces of Eight, Borrowed Time, Shooz). The only "bonus" is the previously unreleased long version of the sublime "Man In The Wilderness" (which alone is worth the price of admission). "One With Everything" from 2003's "Cyclorama" is a freaking masterpiece of vintage Stygian proportions and was an excellent choice to include here. Best of all, there are no dorky "remixes," obnoxious "alternate versions," or surprise (uncredited on the outside case) live versions. ALL ORIGINAL STUDIO TRACKS ALL REMASTERED! BUY THIS NOW! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!?
31 people found this helpful
on July 16, 2017
These 2 disces brought a lot enjoyment. I'm a fan of Styx and. It's so fun to hear them again. What talent they have but also great lead singers. The instruments are fantastic. Great driving music!
on September 19, 2011
This a good compilation with a lot of songs. Sure, there are some weak songs like Pieces of Eight, Sing for the Day, Prelude 12, One with Everything etc, but for the most part it is a solid compilation. For the Wooden Nickel era though, it looks like there were trying to get Dennis' compositions on there for $ purposes, even though J.Y. was the stronger writer during that time period, so we have the songs You Need Love & Winner Take All by Dennis present, but better songs like Witch Wolf (a radio favorite), Southern Woman, Young Man, Quick is the Beat of My Heart, A Man Like Me etc are missing. Also missing the classic You Better Ask by John C. At any rate, for the iPod as a Best of from the A & M years I suggest the following tracklisting:

1. AD 1928 / Rockin' the Paradise 2. Snowblind 3. Nothing Ever Goes As Planned 4. Too Much Time On My Hands 5. Half-Penny, Two-Penny 6. Come Sail Away 7. All in a Day's Work 8. Eddie 9. The Best of Times 10. Renegade 11. Mr. Roboto 12. Boat on the River 13. Midnight Ride 14. Suite Madame Blue 15. Lights 16. Miss America 17. Babe 18. Crystal Ball 19. Love is the Ritual 20. AD 1958 21. Blue Collar Man 22. Music Time

And while I was at it, I also put together a further compilation built around the Kilroy Was Here story with the following tracks which works really well:

1. Mr. Roboto 2. Cold War 3. Double Life 4. High Time 5. Love in the Midnight
6. Into the Fire 7. Why Me 8. Just Get Through This Night 9. Show Me the Way
10. City of Holy Faith 11. Haven't We Been Here Before 12. Not Dead Yet
13. Still Feel Your Love 14. Girls with Guns 15. Don't Let It End
16. Man in the Wilderness 17. Heavy Metal Poisoning 18. Castle Walls
19. Little Girl World 20. Don't Let It End - reprise 21. Back to Chicago
One person found this helpful
on September 28, 2017
I grew up with this band. It brought back a lot of memories.
on March 15, 2018
love it
on August 10, 2017
Quite a few of my favorites.
on April 4, 2005
This wonderful two CD set..."Come Sail Away: The STYX Anthology" is a generous collection of their more well known material...the price is right...and even better for CDNOW Club members ! Aside from owning EVERY album...it's the PERFECT CD NOW "buy together" combo with "The Wooden Nickel Recordings" to give we STYX fans all we need for our listening pleasure ! Both pretty much make any other STYX "hits" collection obsolete ! Oh yes....for the diehard STYX fan...there are songs we'd love to have included that are missing....but that's what the individual albums are for...right ?

There's no need to comment on the set list...it's all very obvious. What else DO I want to comment on ? The sound quality....PRISTINE ! I have a pretty decent sound system in my SUV...and when I turned it up and played it loud...I got chills ! The remastering job on this collection is EXTRAORDINARY....and it makes me plead with A&M and STYX to PLEASE remaster the origional albums...this set sounds beautiful !

"Come Sail Away : The STYX Anthology " was released a year ago this May...and I don't understand why it took me so long to buy it ! If you love STYX music....do the "buy together" deal with "The Wooden Nickel Recordings" right now...and "come sail away" to the world of STYX....ENJOY !
26 people found this helpful
on March 19, 2018
Great tunes from a great band.
on January 19, 2009
Great Disk with all the big songs. The sound on this particular disk is really crisp and clear. The inside booklet has a lot of information on the band as well with some pictures.

If you like Styx, you can not go wrong with this purchase. Even if you own a lot of their Albums, this one is of such quality it makes it worth it.