Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 338 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 363 reviews
on March 19, 2011
The reports are true. The current socks are much thinner than the previous version, which I had worn (replacing every 1-2 years) for 10 years. If it was even a close comparison, I wouldn't bother writing a review. But these socks are not comparable. Much thinner, stretchier, and a much looser weave. As an example, I can see right through the sock to my skin at a seam area below the ankle. This is not the case with the older model. That's not to say these socks are unwearable, but they are not very cushioned and they feel cheap.

UPDATE:
I just bought new ones (Feb 2013), and they have changed the socks yet again. Even thinner than before (nothing fluffy about these socks), and the ribbing on the calf section is different. It has wider spaced ribs, which you can see skin through. The very top of the sock has a rigid band which will only expand so far and then not give at all. Finally, the top of one sock started to fray after the very first wash. These are all changes made since I last reviewed these socks. No idea what Goldtoe is trying to do here.

SECOND UPDATE:
Because I can't seem to find any other socks I like and because I wanted to be sure the fraying was not a temp. quality control issue, I ordered again (Oct 2013). This time, the fraying was much worse. 10 out of the 12 socks shows significant unraveling at the cuff right out of the box. I uploaded photos to illustrate.
on December 9, 2009
I have worn the original Gold Toe Fluffies white socks for years. They are/were absolutely great. The substance of the substantial cotton ribbing was sufficient to keep them up without the rubber thingy at the top squeezing off the blood & lymphatic tissue in the legs. They also lasted a very long time. I bought enough so that I could wear them every day & have a 3 weeks supply on hand. A few pair would wear out, and I would replace them. I am very rough on socks.

I read some bad reviews for the current version that were made with polyester. When I found I could still get the Fluffies in cotton, I bought a bunch. BIG MISTAKE. I think it is a crime what they have done to the best pair of casual socks on the market. The socks are fluffy alright. But, it is a completely different sock. There is probably half as much total cotton in the new model. It seems that I can feel the individual threads when I walk sock foot across a hardwood floor. Plus the tight rubber thingy at the top cuts off the circulation in my legs. Whoops, sorry. I'm not a vascular surgeon. Perhaps I should just say that it pinches my leg, and my leg swells above the top of my socks.

If you are used to the ones Gold Toe used to make, look elsewhere for something similar. This ain't it.
33 comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2010
I've been a Gold Toe sock wearer for 20 years. The socks I received yesterday from Amazon are not the Gold Toe's of yesteryear. Instead of being thick, well made and comformatable - these Gold Toes are paper thin, poorly-made garbage. Let me explain line-by-line how horrible these socks are:

(1) Thickness
When I put them on my feet ** I can actually see through the sock**.

(2) Elastic
A word about the elastic. I signature for cheaply made socks is their inability to stay up when you walk. These Gold Toes fall to your ankles within 25 steps.

(3) Better Options
The bottom line is that they are bad socks. You can do better by buying cheapo Fruit of the Loom socks from a box store. These Gold Toes are good for little more than waxing your car. A better sock I can recommend to you are the crew socks offered by Landsend. If you are a person like me who you used to swear by Gold Toe but now find them grossly inadequate, then you will be happy with the offering from Landsend.

Good luck shopping.
on June 16, 2014
I have read reviews (both negative and positive). Decided to purchase the socks anyway to compare as I have also worn these Gold Toe Fluffies since the 1980's:

1. These socks are different than my previous purchase. I note that one reviewer indicated the socks made a lot of lint that would remain on the bottom of his feet after removing the socks. In past purchases i had the same problem. I would track sock fuzz all over the place, even after repeated wearings. But not with this recent purchase...no fuzz...thankfully.

2. While i don't know the construct of the other reviewers who said the sock cuts off circulation to their legs, or does not stay up / in place. i have had neither of these problems and never have, with Gold Toe socks. I wear a size 13 shoe so I'm not a small guy. If I were an overweight person, there probably would be some credo to the circulation comment but at just over 200 pounds, I do not have any tight fit issues on my legs.

3. I do note that the current Fluffies are not of the same construct, however one reviewer indicated that he can 'see through the sock'. I cannot and once again i'm not a small guy...see comment above. These socks do appear to be constructed/designed a bit more toward a dress sock look rather than a casual sock look. Comfortable in my casual shoes/boots and look darn good with my dress shoes.

The socks i purchased through Amazon (slightly less than dept stores in price and free delivery) I am very pleased with. I don't have the same problems as others who have reviewed. And I *definitely* do not miss all that sock fuzz I used to have.

For me, this purchase is two thumbs up...slightly different sock, with some improvements.
on September 11, 2016
I've worn Gold Toe Fluffies for decades, but the last few purchases have been extremely disappointing. It seems that every purchase is a completely different sock. I've stuck with this company much longer than I should have just because they were such a great sock once upon a time. But it's clear that those days are gone.

They really have nerve continuing to call these socks "Fluffies." How about "Flatties?" There is nothing "fluffy" about these socks. They are rough to the touch and have very little in the way of cushioning. With each step, you can feel the individual fibers. After wearing these with work boots for a day, my toes were rubbed raw in several places. After one wearing, the soles had thinned to the point where you could see light through them.
on July 7, 2016
I like these socks. They're comfortable, breathe well (don't get too hot), do not fit too loosely and have a good price. I'm taking off one star because of the seam at the toe is rather prominent. Enough so that if you like tight-fitting shoes, it could be an issue, as you would undoubtedly feel it rubbing against your toes. With the type of shoes I wear, it hasn't been a problem. As other reviewers have noted, these socks aren't all that 'fluffy'. They're soft, but if you're expecting bedroom slipper-soft, you're in for a disappointment. And longevity is a question mark, since mine are still new. Can't give a rating on 'wear and tear', but will update my review if needed.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2016
Worst socks I've ever bought: heavy, hot, rough, not soft at all
Fit quality awful: not sure what mutant foot the toe area was designed for but certainly not human
Just another example of cheap, imported junk, the quality of which gets worse every year
on August 8, 2017
For those of you who want/need a sock that doesn't bind at the top, cutting off the circulation, these are winners! I have fibromyalgia and need the stretchiness at the top. But they are also great socks., Have plenty of thickness and wear well. So as a woman, I buy these because they are far superior than the best socks for women.
on April 1, 2011
These socks are extremely uncomfortable. They're not at all soft. Furthermore, they began falling apart after the first wash. The Docker's socks I ordered (Dockers Men's 3-Pack Sport Crew Socks, on the other hand, are extremely comfortable and seem very durable. Do not buy these socks.
on March 3, 2014
I have a drawer full of "Fluffies" purchased at the Gold Toe outlet location just Northwest of Houston. Last time I needed such things I bought a large quantity at a good price, intending that it was last me a long while. Finally needing to replace some aged goods I decided to try ordering some from Amazon. Sadly, these are not the same product I purchased previously. The quality of raw material is not as good, nor is the weight. They simply are not the "Fluffies" that I knew and loved, despite the fact that they still bear that name.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.