Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 7, 2016
Spoiler: I liked Gold Toe the best!

I wear white cotton crew socks basically every day, two pairs on workout days. I wear them with high-impact athletic shoes, work/walking shoes, and occasionally heavy work boots. I want them to last (no holes, no saggy tops), I want them to be comfortable, and I want a fair value for my money.

So when I retired my old inventory nearly two years ago, I picked up five different brands of white crew socks.

Durability: As I wore the socks, I tried to be very diligent about 'rotating stock' -- pulling socks to wear from the right-side of the drawer, putting in freshly-laundered ones on the left. In theory, they all received about the same amount of wear-and-tear.

Wigwam (2/5): Unraveled at the top quickly -- after the first washing, three socks; after the third or fourth, almost every sock had loose tops. These thick socks took around a year before I started seeing holes in the toes or heel.
Under Armour (4/5): Some unraveling around the 8 or 9 month mark, no holes until year two.
Fruit of the Loom (3/5): Little unraveling, but heels thinned before the end of the first year, leading to holes.
Hanes Cushion Crew (3/5): Modest unraveling, but moderate holes at toes and heels around the 9-12 month mark.
Gold Toe Cotton Crew Athletic (5/5): Outstanding -- so far, no unraveling; two toe holes, one heel hole.

Comfort: There's two factors for me -- first, softness; second, thickness/padding. Also, I'm not looking for a compression sock (like for when I fly, or if I develop CHF) -- nothing *too* tight (and none of them were).

Wigwam (3/5): Very thick (for a crew sock), well-padded; stiff -- even after months of washing, they almost felt starched.
Under Armour (5/5): Good thickness; started soft, became even softer after a few washes.
Fruit of the Loom (3/5): Felt slightly thin; good softness.
Hanes Cushion Crew (4/5): Good thickness; slightly stiff, but not as bad as Wigwam).
Gold Toe Cotton Crew Athletic (5/5): Thick, but not too thick; softest out-of-the-plastic, and better as time went by.

Value: All bought on the same date, non-sale prices (just standard Amazon prices)

Wigwam Super 60 Crew ($2.97/pr)
Under Armour Charged Cotton Crew ($2.50/pr)
Fruit of the Loom Heavy Duty Crew ($1.81/pr)
Hanes Cushion Crew ($1.78/pr)
Gold Toe Cotton Crew Athletic ($1.72/pr)
22 comments| 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 22, 2014
4/22/14 -- Original Review: Gold toe socks last forever, after daily use my husbands socks needed to be replaced after five(ish) years. Yes the socks are expensive, but would you rather buy the ones in the local stores where you need to replace them after six months to a year?

The toe never wears out, its normally the heel that eventually goes. The calf part of the socks always maintains its elasticity regardless of the fact that my husband is a big man and stretches them while in use.

5/2/14 -- Updated review: NOT THE SAME QUALITY!!!! My husband's socks are wearing out the day that he picks them up out of the bag. He works in a retail store and is on his feet 8 hours a day, by the time he gets home a LARGE hole the size of a dollar coin is in them. Previously I'd purchased this in a retail location but I expected Amazon to have the same thing, maybe Gold Toe's quality has gone down significantly... well something is obviously wrong here.
review image review image
1818 comments| 486 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2012
I have been wearing gold toe socks for 20 years (both white and black). Just bought this pack, and am shocked on how cheap this socks have been made. The socks shed lint like crazy. The quality of the materials has changed for the worse. I would not buy these socks again.
1414 comments| 488 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2016
Fits great! Bought these for my impromptu Britney spears Meltdown circa' 2007
review image
on October 3, 2017
I've worn Gold Toe socks for years and in the past thought they were the best socks available. Well, like much else one buys, the quality is not what it used to be. The first thing I noticed is that they were small and uncomfortably tight, and they remain so after several washings and wearings (I'm the same size I've always been, so it isn't me). Making products smaller is a widespread phenomenon for items that are sold in large quantities - a little less material and a tiny bit more profit for each item. In addition to the size reduction, I've had several elastic failures so the socks go from too tight to unwearably baggy; this is a problem I almost never had with dozens of pairs of Gold Toes I've worn in the past. I really should give these one star, but I imagine there are probably worse socks out there. Extremely disappointing to see a once good product go down the tubes.
on November 3, 2016
The socks are fine, but they are NOT 100% as described. If you put in the style number on gold toe's website, you will see these are 78% cotton. Here is a link: [...]
on August 20, 2016
These are very comfortable socks, not as thin as I'm used to.
I purchased white socks, however after the first washing in warm water they shrank a total of 1.38" (3.5 cm) [including .38" (.95 cm) at the sole]. Good thing I got 1 size larger.
on April 12, 2016
I've worn this brand of socks for 20 years. Never a problem until now. The entire top seam of the sock has came undone after one washing. Complete garbage. No quality control.
review image
on July 12, 2016
Original review written on 12 July, 2016:

I've had no issues with the socks falling apart yet, but I will agree that lint from the socks will coat your feet for a little less than a month before it stops. If I have any issues I will edit this review.

Edit: I've been using these socks every day for a job which requires I stand for the majority of the day every day for over 10 months now (5/2/17). I've had zero issues with holes or discomfort. These are now the only socks I buy. Don't make the mistake of accidentally buying the dress sock version of this sock however, they are practically worthless they're so poorly made.
I bought these for my husband since he needed some new socks. He's worn these Gold Toe socks for years. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, these socks pilled up immediately and are very fuzzy after washing. My husband isn't very happy to have new socks that look like he's worn them for ages. He's never had Gold Toe socks do this before. I don't know if it's a change in the material or manufacturing, but his old Gold Toe pairs look better after years of washing than these do after one wear and wash.