Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 42 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on April 15, 2017
Used product. It skipped in many places. Otherwise great historical fiction.
on September 8, 2009
This is one of the few movies I've seen recorded in the Sicilian dialect that my grandparents spoke. It was a joy for me to see it and I immediately wished to purchase it. Despite some surrealistic scenes, the film accurately depicts the life that the immigrants experienced in rural Sicily and agrees with what my grandparents and relatives told of their life in Sicily. A few night scenes in the film are very dark and are difficult to see. The ordeal at Ellis Island seems a little too severe for what the average immigrant experienced but I guess is accurate if you were marked with an "X" as Fortunata was. Too bad the Statue of Liberty was not in view! I also enjoyed the extra features on the DVD which helped me better understand the film. I recommend it for all people interested in what immigrants (not only Italian) to the USA endured in both their native countries and during the voyage and arrival at Ellis Island.
on July 14, 2016
I was very disappointed. I did not realize that it was not compatible with my DVD Player. I should have been more observant before I ordered it. I had ordered the same DVD before and thought it would be the same.
on June 14, 2014
The title of the movie refers to a portion of Emma Lazarus's poem inscribed at the base of the Statue of Liberty. The film is especially good in the Ellis Island sequence where one witnesses the conditions that immigrants faced when arriving at the government inspection station. Parts of this movie would be excellent to use with students but not the medical inspection portion since it depicts frontal nudity.
on April 17, 2017
Did not work on US format. Should not buy in USA. Meant for Europe.
on March 15, 2014
If you view this film as you would a documentary you will love it as I did. There is a lovely family story and small view into a little of what it was like for our immigrant ancestors. Family History researchers will love it. However if you are viewing this film for drama and action, you may not be as satisfied. It's very real.
on June 1, 2013
I made a mistake in my first review. It is fine. I just didn't remember the beginning starting out in all Italian Is fine now. I made have had the wrong setting when I first tried it. Sorry for the bad review I first gave. The movie is just fine. Thank you for contacting me. I will buy from you again in the future. Once again I.am very sorry.
on February 11, 2011
An excellent story of early immigration of low income working people to the US, but would have been a similar experience of immigration to other developing countries, as in my parents' case Australia. It was well filmed, but I would have left out the 'swimming in milk' scenes. Top movie.
on October 24, 2008
This film is a Documentary-Drama with ancestors coming to a New Land and experiencing a whole new life and culture adaptation. A very good film and worth viewing for the whole family.
on February 23, 2016
Golden Door was difficult to watch because my grandparents endured a similar ordeal; leaving Sicily by ship over perilous seas. My grandmother travelled with an infant son and would be greeted by her husband, who already established residence in Philly. They did not enter America by way of Ellis Island, instead they were processed at Marcus Hook, PA. I recall my grandmother telling me that her stormy voyage claimed a few lives with sea sickness. The movie became very personal and I had a much greater appreciation for the hardships all my grandparents (German-Hungarian and Sicilian) went through as immigrants.

The movie's language was mostly Sicilian, not Italian. This gave the film great authenticity. And the acting was superb - the body language and facial features spoke more loudly than the words. I am still overwhelmed by the opening panoramic scene where father and son had climbed barefooted over rocks without a trace of blood.