Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on July 1, 2014
GREAT TRIO BUT WHY SO SHORT ON PLAYING TIME?? BLUE NOTE SHOULD BE CALLED ON THE CARPET FOR THIS SHORT PLAYING TIME.

JAZZMAN 65
2 helpful votes
on March 2, 2013
Ron Carter is one bassist who delivers tonal (and certainly harmonic) support via a very solid and consistent bass line. He can also certainly solo with the best of them, but his acoustical consistency is the best -in my book.
on January 9, 2007
Great!! Carter is the best bass player since Charles Mingus and Paul Chambers.
on October 2, 2003
I was admittedly sceptical about purchasing this cd, having read less than stellar reviews elsewhere, but something about the cover spoke to me (not to mention that it featured the great Russell Malone). How glad I am that I followed my instincts! I am by no means a jazz fanatic, but I do know good music when I hear it, and this recording has not left my CD player since I bought it. Each player gets his turn to shine, but the solos never become monotonous or self-indulgent (often the case in some jazz music IMHO). There is thoughtful interplay between the musicians, each one obviously knowing how to listen to the other. It reminds me of another one of my favorite recordings, Jim Hall's 'Concierto' (minus the horns and drums). As a matter of fact, they both contain a reading of Rodrigo's 'Concerto De Aranjuez', and, while I thought nothing could top Mr. Hall's interpretation, this rendition stands on it's own merits. Mulgrew Miller's piano never dominates, Russell Malone's solo is short but spot-on and Ron Carter's bass work holds the whole thing together. 'N.Y. Slick' is an odd composition with some dissonant guitar work that somehow works. The more I listen to this recording, the more I enjoy it.
One odd thing; throughout the disc there is a sort of weird background noise that I can't identify. Could be the squeaking of the upright bass or Mr. Carter grunting (or mouthing) the notes as he leans into his parts. Thoughts anyone?
Again, I highly recommend this disc.
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on October 19, 2003
Hm. This one looks promising--Ron Carter on bass, Russell Malone on guitar, Mulgrew Miller on piano, about as good a mainstream jazz lineup as you could hope for--& somehow comes off as well-executed musical wallpaper. Here's a test-case for the prospective purchaser: are you a big fan of the MJQ? It's not just that there's a cover of John Lewis's "The Golden Striker" here; it's that the same dynamic level, tasteful counterpoint & classical borrowings are present (though, frankly, there's nothing as striking as Milt Jackson's vibes here). There's a few originals from the players here (Carter's "A Quick Sketch" is the best, a lovely piece riding a very simple pedal point), & covers of Rodrigo's "Concierto de Aranjuez" (snore) & "Autumn Leaves" (a version which is so polite it's hard to believe it's the same guy who played on some of Miles' most tempestuous ever readings of the tune). These guys can play pretty, but--you know, I can think of a lot of albums that manage to be both pretty _and_ have some meat to them (try Bill Mays' _Going Home_ on Palmetto for instance; or for that matter the MJQ at their best). This one doesn't come close to managing that trick. 3 stars for execution, but this is disappointing stuff if you're looking for something that aspires to more than pleasantries.
15 helpful votes
16 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on August 11, 2014
The performance is great, the recording is a little weird.
on August 5, 2006
BEAUTIFUL as always.

The harmony between Ron Carter, Mulgrew Miller and Russel Malone is excellent. We can never judge a master in Art as he always brings new and beautiful music to our ears.

Hope to have always MUSIC from Ron Carter to enrich our collection.
3 helpful votes