Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Video Game|Change

Showing 1-10 of 147 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 202 reviews
on September 5, 2016
The fact that the graphics are worse than the previous two titles is unforgivable. This is a new game system, the least they could do is maintain the same quality graphics. There are many points of no return and no warning for most of them.

It's another sequel that says "And the heroes had kids who went on the same adventures they did." The characters were shallow and undeveloped, especially the ones that you get at the end of the story. They're plainly added in just so you can have two of each type of adept. The storyline bosses are easy, requiring almost no strategy to defeat.

The ending is a lead into a new game, but given how this one failed to achieve the scope and feel of its predecessors, it's highly unlikely that a sequel to this will ever be made.
on June 28, 2016
I really enjoyed playing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

It was full of nostalgic moments and made me remember the good old days playing the two previous games; nevertheless, Dark Dawn has enough originality to stand on its own.

The game plays on the touch screen and I was worried at first since I am left handed; however, you can still play with the analog stick like any other game without having to use the stylus at all.

The music in Dark Dawn is amazing, it really helps build atmosphere and it truly adds a lot of value to the game experience as a whole.

My only complaint with Dark Dawn is that its puzzles are not as difficult as in previous games. Overall difficulty in Dark Dawn is less challenging, whereas in previous games it would get stuck for hours within a dungeon, in Dark Dawn I've never found myself wondering what to do next. Actually I believe I've never had any of my characters die in battle while playing.

However; if you enjoyed playing the two previous games you definitely MUST give Dark Dawn a try. It was a very enjoyable experience and I truly hope they dare to create further games within the Golden Sun universe.
on September 15, 2016
I absolutely love the Golden Sun series, and actually bought my 2DS in order to play this game. While not as good as the first two games, I still love Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and hope that they do make the fourth game in the series. Several complaints: the tutorial at the beginning is a bit annoying if you already know how to play, there was a decrease in graphics quality from the first two games, and there are some unnecessary points of no return. It would also be nice if they allowed you to skip cut scenes. However, I really enjoyed the game. I love the world building and all the hints at previous civilizations, and the gameplay is fun. This game was definitely worth buying a new gaming system for.
on August 18, 2014
To be honest, I never played Dark Dawn's predecessor, but even so, I really enjoyed this game. The battle system was unique, in using different combinations of Djinn, the collectable magical creatures that give you your abilities, to create a plethora of different tactical options. I tend to be more of the offensive "kill everything before it can touch me" type, but having to strategically spread out my Djinn left me being more creative with how I utilized each character.

The gameplay reminded me a lot of the Dragon Quest series. The plot was kind of "ehh" but was still interesting. The characters were fun and had interesting personalities that did not rely too much on tropes or stereotypes. The different countries had their own cultures, and I liked that you had a lot of freedom to explore.

There is some grinding to be done, but it wasn't as much of a chore compared to other games. Overall, it is definitely a worthwhile game, even if you are new to the series.
on July 8, 2014
Great game!
If you liked the original Golden Sun series, you'll love this one.

My only criticism is that for better or worse, it's pretty much the exact same game as the other Golden Sun games.
Nothing much new or innovative here, except for a slightly different weapon system.

Also, the dialogue still suffers from the exact same problem as the previous games: too much unnecessary fluff.
You'll find yourself skipping past lots of meaningless dialogue that adds little or nothing to the plot.

Still, the gameplay is fun and addicting, the graphics are gorgeous, the music is epic.
It more than makes up for its flaws.
on February 9, 2011
Man, this game is fantastic, because it tugs on all of the right heartstrings. It's almost identical to previous titles in the series, and with good reason, there's not much in the formula that needed to be tweaked. Visually it's very impressive, and the summons are cooler than ever. Mechanics are identical to the earlier titles, and the puzzles are still present.

The only problems with this game are that it's waaaaaaaay too easy. Not a single boss was hard to beat. I didn't lose once during my original playthrough, and that's without collecting all of the Djinni or summons. None of the puzzles stymied me for more than a few minutes, and the one particularly tough puzzle was easily solved with the use of a power you gain in the game that literally just helps you solve puzzles. Given the difficulty of the GBA titles, this is a bit of a letdown.

The other problem is that the entire plot, while somewhat compelling, ends in a ridiculously obvious cliffhanger, leaving so many questions unanswered that the game may as well have been subtitled "part 1." The game isn't short (took me about 24 hours to beat) but plot-wise, it feels like it's over when you'd just begun. This is very similar to the original golden sun, though, so there's probably some sort of weird Japanese repetition/imitation thing going on here.
on June 13, 2015
This game continues the GS franchise with a new generation. I like that you can interact with characters from the previous games and the core mechanics are still here. You have the puzzles that use the powers, updated graphics, and the same fun battle system/great music that the Golden Sun series is known for. Another solid entry in the franchise that leaves me with hope that they continue the series. A great RPG for the DS.
on April 3, 2011
Before reading this, please note I do NOT consider myself a "gamer". I don't play much games anymore, mainly when I was a kid. The only systems I have are the DS and some Game Boys...but because I saw that there was a new GS, I just HAD to get this...

It's been 7 years since Lost Age has been released. The Golden Sun series are known for their puzzles, storyline, summons and breathtaking 3D graphics. Though for the DS it isn't uncommon to see graphics like this, 7 years ago it wasn't seen much. For the casual gamer (such as myself), this game DOES NOT DISAPPOINT.

I first played the GS games when I was about 12 years old and I do remember the puzzles being more difficult, but then again, I was 12 years old and now I'm almost 20. There are lots of dialogue in Dark Dawn, and though it is annoying at times, I feel it gives the characters more depth and character which has it's benefits. There are also cute emoticons too, giving it a more interactive feel.

This game continues with lovable characters, amazing music, awesome summons and abilities, twists that a casual gamer would love. It isn't a difficult game but it isn't super easy either.

This game can stand on it's own too, you don't have to play the 1st 2 GS to play this game. Dark Dawn also has "Sun Sagas" you can collect over the game which tell the story of the 1st GS which is really neat, being that I barely remember what happened in the 1st 2 games.

The only complaint (not a big one) is the camera angles switch on their own (you can't control them) and it's a bit annoying sometimes but it's not a big deal.

A true adventure game! DON'T MISS THIS ONE. From the ending, it appears there may be a 4th game so...I hope there is a 4th GS and that it won't take another 7 years to release!

P.S: You get to see Issac in a beard and Garet in a mustache :P
on December 25, 2010
I'm a longtime fan of Golden Sun (anyone who even knows what it is has to be a long time fan...) I was thrilled when I heard about Dark Dawn, for the simple fact of getting MORE Golden Sun. The franchise does a fantastic job of taking everything great about RPGs and infusing it with its own style and innovations.

Playability: The game is easy enough to pick up for anyone, and though I highly recommend playing the first two, the in-game encyclopedia and dialogue cover just about everything. No puzzles are too tough or require heading over to a FAQs page, but I do recommend exploring the heck out your environments because just about every room, hut, or town has dozens of secrets (even it its just an herb). Unlike the first two games, enemies don't seem to appear as often during puzzle-solving (which there is A LOT of) and battling avoids being tedious, since there is so much customization and leveling up. There are dozens of Djinn, Psynergies, and weapons with unique and powerful unleashing capabilities, that suddenly fighting becomes a fun way to display your latest strategy-shift or upgrades.

Entertainment: The game is beautiful; taking full advantage of the DS's graphics capabilities, environments are large and unique. Serious thought was put into aesthetics and puzzles for everything, and it shows. The most rewarding part of the game comes from pure nostalgia - taking place 30 years of ingame timeline corresponds to 7 years our time - I fondly remember the adventures of Issac and company, and the heros of past games have become the stuff of legend in Dark Dawn. There's a neat side quest to collect storybooks where the stories are told from the first two games. Battles are fun, puzzles are cool, and some of the dialogue is pretty witty.

The Drawbacks: YES there is a lot of dialogue. I enjoyed it in the other games, but sometimes it rambles too much. Toward the end of the game it also had the annoying habit of having each of your party share their thoughts on particular subjects during cut scenes as if the developers wanted to make sure everyone got enough "facetime" in the game. Also bothersome, tough-talking Tyrell seems to lose his personality halfway through the game as he has less and less to contribute. Kind of strange...oh and I think he actually has a thing for Sveta...but it's never fully realized. The worst part of the game has to be the lack of proper bosses. I can't tell you how many times I prepared my party for what would surely be an area where I would be forced into a battle with a tough boss. I healed/set Djinn/saved and got ready, but 9 times out of 10 it would just be more puzzles. Where were all the bosses? The final boss was honestly the only thing close to bosses from the old games, which were challenging and required strategy. The rest usually just require brute force after some very passive leveling up.

Overall, the game is great to play despite a few oversights and over-indulgent dialogue. Took 23 hours to beat (almost a full day...how about that?) and I look forward to the next direct sequel.
on April 19, 2012
well after putting over 40 hours into this beast of an rpg, I can safely say that it is not a disappointment. the game is a great revival of the golden sun series and a very fun one. music is once again great though not as superb as the lost age music imo. graphics are fantastic for the ds of course and the story is fresh. the game is only easy if you spend the time beefing up your party by fighting monsters after monsters and equipping your party with the best weapons and armor you can find or buy. after beating the game there are super bosses to challenge yourself on upon beating them you get the best summons in the series. if you think the game is too easy try beating the secret boss dullahan under-leveled and without recovering health at all, then you can tell me it's too easy hahaha. all in all you're going to enjoy this game if you've played the other two games and still enjoy it if you haven't. you can best believe there will be more golden sun games to come. my only gripe is that there's no battle mode or music test like the preview two games, what the hell were they thinking.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.