Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by Tim and Faith STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 13, 2014
I LOVE this. It is challenging and interesting. It has many options and settings so you can really get a good workout no matter what fitness level you're at. Of course, like any fitness workout, you get out what you put in. Keep good bounce in your rhythm, punch strong and keep your abs tight. Fun features are the music selection and shopping. I also love unlocking new things. This game is so fun I don't even notice how hard I'm working until I have to wipe sweat off my face !!
Update: Now that I have had this game a little over two months and have used it nearly every day, I thought I would add an update. I am still loving this game !! I use it in addition to kickboxing and good old walking with intermittent jogging. It has accelerated my weight loss (I am dieting also) quite a bit.
It does have a couple annoying glitches, but some might be due to my set up. One is that upper cuts very often don't register. This is a small annoyance for me as I don't do this game for anything other than exercise. Still, it is a little disappointing when you get a missed punch. Sometimes, ducking and weaving doesn't register, but I think that it might be because I have a small area to work in and no good place to put the bar thing. A couple of times, the little punch marker doesn't show up on my calender to mark my workout (again, a small annoyance). The last glitch doesn't bother me, but might bother some. Even though the description states you can weigh in using the balance board, there is no way to do this on the game. I don't mind since I don't think the balance board is all that accurate anyways. I weigh in once a week on my scale and just update the game.
All in all, the good FAR outweighs the bad and I am still totally loving this game. It does not feel like a workout - it feels like fun. Still giving it 5 stars, enthusiastically !!
5 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
I was looking for a game to the original Wii to get some exercise in with. This one sounded interesting so I purchased it to give it a try. I lvoe it. It allows me to get both arm and leg movements in while doing some basic air boxing with myself. I look funny doing this but it is relaxing, fun, and gives my body a burn. I am sweating and sometimes must stop a minute and drink some water. It is harder then it looks and really does give you a good workout.

I am, however, not a person who works out daily or regularly. This game gives me motivation to workout more. You earn enough tokens so that you can buy new clothes, shoes, etc to improve your little pretend me player you use in the game. That is fun as well and makes you want to do just a little more to get your new outfit.

I really love this game and will continue to play.
on May 13, 2011
I bought this game mainly to help relieve stress. My husband is in the military and we've been living in Europe for the past 3 years. He is currently deployed to Iraq, and let me just say that this game has helped me let out A LOT of pent up stress and frustration due to deployments and life overseas! Real boxing is not an option for me since I have bad wrists, so this game has been an excellent substitute, and it feels just like the real thing. I can punch away but have no impact on my wrists. I get all my steam out, I get a great workout and I have fun doing it! The music is perfect and there's a good assortment to choose from. My favorite song is "Eye of the Tiger". It's a great motivator song, as are most of the songs. The music has no words, which is helpful while trying to listen to your trainer. You move along with the beat and try to throw punches as your trainer tells you. I also like how they teach you actual moves and that you use your whole body, not just your arms. You rock back and forth slightly just as a real trainer would teach you; and you twist, duck and swing side to side when it's called for.

I have tried other boxing games on the Wii, but they were just "games" and they didn't provide a great work out. This game really gets you sweating after 10-15 minutes. I haven't mastered the jump rope yet as I cant seem to figure out how it works. But that's fine with me since I bought this game mainly for the boxing. The controls seem accurate for the most part, but I do have a little bit of an issue with the Sandbag punching. It doesn't seem quite as accurate for some reason, even with new batters in my remote. This doesn't bother me much either since it's not the main part of the exercise.

I love that I can use two remotes, instead of a nunchuck. I don't have to worry about the wire in the middle. I did try the nunchuck as well, however, and it seemed just as accurate.

For those of you thinking of buying some boxing gloves with this, I might suggest not too. I purchased the boxing gloves by CTA because they seemed to get good reviews and I figured it would enhance the effect of boxing. They were a bit annoying, and I had to make a tight fist on the right hand to keep the sensor showing through the plastic part. It can put a little strain on the hands and wrists after a while, and it also makes your hands hot and sweaty; overall they just become a nuisance. You also have to use the nunchuck with them, which means the annoying wire is drooping down between both gloves. I finally tried it without the gloves and it was SOOO much better. Your hands are free, the sensor is free and it's a whole lot easier. It doesn't lessen the effect of boxing at all. In fact, your trainer doesn't even wear boxing gloves!

I've had this game for about 3 weeks now, and overall I give it a 5 star rating because it meets my needs perfectly. I can relieve stress and get a great work out....and have fun while doing it. I feel better throughout the day when I start my day off with a great work out like this. And maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to survive this deployment now!!
on April 13, 2016
I guess me no read good, because I didn't realize this game is pretty much only boxing-related workouts. It's a good thing I didn't know that when I bought it, because I probably wouldn't have bought it and I'm glad I did. I don't use it terribly often, but I do enjoy it. It takes a while to move through the lessons and unlock features. So far I'm mostly just dodging punches thrown at me by a robot, and practicing punches. Thus far I wouldn't call it a killer workout, but it is fun and I like trying new things.
on October 22, 2014
Absolutely LOVE this game! I got it yesterday, popped it in, quickly setup my profile and began playing.
It started out with some lessons on how to do the different punches, then I moved on to some actual Beginner Challenges.
It was so much fun! I reall tried to put my whole body into it, and did the challenges for 30 minutes. I wore my heart rate monitor and burned 309 calories! (Today, my arms are SORE, especially my triceps. Who would've thought?!)

As for the game itself, I was impressed with the graphics. Considering it is Wii and not HD I was a little skeptical, but it isn't bad.
I personally do not like the music choices at all, they are all cheesy and get to be somewhat annoying.

I haven't gotten too far into the game yet, but I'm excited to continue playing and I will DEFINITELY use this as part of a workout routine!
on November 17, 2009
I REALLY hope the maker of this game is planning a follow-up game. It is a GREAT workout, fun and I've gone through all of the levels so I'm ready for more. I've increased my average heart rate by 25% after 3 months of doing this game on avg 3x/week.

If you're looking to increase your fitness as well as burn some calories this is for you. I'm an (unfortunately) overweight female, 36 yrs. old. Have always been active & put on 80 lbs after quitting smoking that I'm having a horrible time trying to lose. At first this game was kind of tough but, as with most things, practice makes perfect and I got the hang of the basic moves after about 2 days. I wear a heartrate monitor to track cals. burned as well as making sure I don't overdo it and realized one day that my avg. heart rate that is calculated within the "Medium Intensity" level had increased. So I'm working harder, burning more cals. and not feeling like I'm about to have a heart-attack -- in short, more physically fit.

The levels are challenging and, even though I've made it through all of them, can still challenge myself to improve my form, accuracy etc. In addition to wanting a follow-up game, I would like to see some kickboxing (leg work) added into this game. You work your legs by moving back & forth but I think some kicks would really add to the overall effectiveness. I LOVE this game! Oh, I also have Wii Fit, EA Sports Active, and Jillian Michaels' first game (which sucked) and even though those 1st 2 I like, Gold's Gym Cardio Workout beats them all.
5 helpful votes
VINE VOICEon October 8, 2010
Wasn't quite sure what I was getting when I ordered this, but the gameplay is addicting, if not repetive, and the fun factor is high. Great workout in this since you can choose what level you want when you get setup and each day you never know what exercises you'll get. The ducking/weaving combos can be a little finicky sometimes as the movements aren't always picked up even when you do them, but the workout is really quality. I always feel like I managed to get a solid routine in even if I only played for fifteen minutes.

The tutorials are easy, if not always about proper form. It took me a few weeks to really start getting those uppercuts and hooks timed right along with the proper form, but that didn't take away from the overall fun of the game. Great for anyone who's looking for a change from the normal Active/Wii Fit workout. Boxing is one of my favorite things in both of those games and I love this one since the ducking/weaving add to the leg workout.

Recommended for anyone who's looking for a great workout game.
on July 23, 2012
I will preface this by saying I am an experienced martial artist and someone who knows how to throw a variety of PROPER punches the correct way. The reason I bring this up is because there is a sort of division between sports and/or exercise and martial arts or boxing in this particular case. The martial artists out there are going to immediately complain that these types of games can cause you to develop some really bad habits in terms of throwing a punch, and I agree to some extent. However, if you are relying on your Wii to teach you how to punch properly, you have already developed one major bad habit in doing so. So, frankly that argument is a little weak if you ask me and certainly no reason to avoid this game.

As to the reviewer who was complaining about this being all boxing, well it is GOLD'S GYM, which is kind of famous for things like boxing and wight lifting. I'm not sure why they thought it wouldn't be all boxing, it's pretty clear in the description. But, just so as there is no further confusion, THESE ARE BOXING WORKOUT ROUTINES. It's not boxing like Punch Out, but rather Rhythm Boxing, which is a sort of aerobic workout that incorporates a lot of punching motions.

As far as an exercise game goes this one is awesome. However it does require you to use the honor system and actually do all the things the Wii cannot measure. This game does not use the balance board for anything but for optional exercises (of which there are better versions of these four on the Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus). Personally, I think not using the balance board is so much easier. Like many of the dance games out now, this requires you to use the controllers to measure the punches you are throwing in time with the rhythm. Another nice feature is this game gives you the option of using two main controllers instead of the nunchuck, which essentially makes them wireless (as opposed to a wired nunchuck). With this setup, you can pretty much start right away without having to drag out the wii board, wait for it to calibrate, etc., etc. No more slapping yourself in the face with a nunchuck cord.

The trick to this is you need to do the footwork as well. The Wii cannot tell if you are going it, and when you get really tired you will find yourself cheating and just standing there throwing really weak punches and getting "Excellents" every time. For those of you with little experience in terms of boxing they basically have you just shifting your weight back and forth on your front and back leg with the music. For those more experienced you can start adding in some side to side shuffles, bouncing, etc. on your own. The game does measure bobbing and ducking, but again it is really up to you to actually do it right as you can simply just move the controllers in a U-shape to score.

The game has a few other exercises meant to mimic boxing roadwork and conditioning. Personally, I prefer Wii Fit Plus for this stuff. My usual workout is about a thirty minute series on the Wii Fit Plus, then I put this in and do the "prepared workouts" for about 20-30 mins. Recently I purchased some 4lb. wrist weights to incorporate into the boxing exercises. These don't get in the way of your controllers and you get get a lot better range of weights for stuff like that than you can in Wii accessories (the Wii dumbbells are kind of a joke).

The only "con" I have really come across is that occasionally when I have to to a double jab, sometimes the second jab registers without my having thrown it yet. This is one of those games that tests the thresholds of motion sensors, so it may just be a universal problem, however I also have two old, first generation controllers and it may just be the current quality of my controllers causing this. At any rate, it is a minor annoyance. Another minor nuisance is the music, which for some reason is computer midi-like songs. A good thing about them though is that many of them have a very easy to distinguish rhythm and timing.

Will this game turn you into Rocky? Absolutely, 100% NO. You won't be stepping into the ring anytime soon with this sort of training. However, if you do happen to find yourself in a ring after having trained with this, I would say you might have the endurance to last. This is a good cardio workout. It gets your heart rate up pretty fast and you can maintain that pulse for a good twenty minutes or more with these workouts. My arms and shoulders feel much looser since I have started using this and I am finding that my flexibility in my upper body is getting better with each day (Disclaimer: I also do a lot of Wii Fit Plus Yoga). If your hips, abs, back and shoulders aren't getting tired when you are doing these exercises then you are doing them wrong. Watch the training videos again and start looking at more than how they swing their arms. A proper punch, even the lightest jab, incorporates about 50-75% of your upper torso. As someone who does have martial arts training, I am also able to start working on my form and technique again, monitoring myself way more than the Wii can. However, I would like to point out that the Wii has correctly told me that I am not throwing my left hooks at the right angle several times now.

This is essentially an interactive workout video. If you are looking for a ton of games like the Wii Fit has you will be disappointed. About half of Golds Gym Cardio I looked at once and never messed with again. If you don't have any other exercise games, those extra workouts will be a good starting point for you, but you will probably want to invest in something else. This is by far the best Boxing exercise game out there (Punch Out will work your arms, but is certainly not geared towards an actual workout). But this game is worth it just for the rhythm boxing. The "prepared" and "a la carte" exercises are all pretty quick to load once you go through the tutorials the first time, and each exercise has a legend that tells you what punches are involved so you can pick and choose accordingly (Headshot Tuesdays, Body Blow Thursdays, etc.). I can guarantee that you will sweat, you will be sore the first few weeks, and by the end of each workout you will be throwing the some of the tiredest, laziest punches you have ever thrown. But if you keep at it and start working in more and more footwork, you will quickly see a difference in your overall endurance and conditioning.
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
One of the major weaknesses of wii fit is the quality of the aerobics/cardio workouts, in my opinion. I have found that Gold's Gym Cardio Workout is the perfect complement to a workout with wii fit. I finish the Gold's Gym workout tired, sweaty, and a little sore everyday.

The game is basically cardioboxing. Moving to a rhythm, the player performs various punches and footwork as indicated onscreen. There are tons of different workouts of various intensity, or you can have your "trainer" make a custom workout for you each day (I like this option). The total calories burned are displayed along with each workout.

I like the midi music included in the game (I usually workout to Eye of the Tiger), but I do wish that it had more options or the ability to import your own. Nevertheless, the music is well chosen and helps me keep my rhythm as I work out.

Considering the price, if you use your wii to workout, I think Gold's Gym Cardio Workout is a nobrainer.
on June 4, 2014
This has been out for years but I've bought about 4 copies for friends and myself. If you want to workout, you only have a little room and low impact is important then get this game. Great for both older generation like me who can't bounce around anymore and young moms who don't have a lot of time. The training has 6-8 minutes segments so you can squeeze it in easily and the regular workouts are only 15-18 minutes typically broken up into two 7 or 8 minutes pieces. Many times I do an aerobic workout followed by this punching workout. The entire workout sessions are really different types of boxing and punching so it's also good for releasing tension (or aggression). I just pretend to punch whoever's irritating me.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.